Digital Currency Ripple Soars, Becomes Second-Largest Cryptocurrency by Market Cap

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Interest in Ripple (or, officially, XRP) appears to be ramping up: the digital currency climbed over 50 percent yesterday afternoon and is currently trading at $2.35. With a market cap of over $90 billion, it is the second-largest cryptocurrency in that regard following Bitcoin (over $200 billion).

Ripple is officially the name of a San Francisco-based start-up using blockchain technology to develop a payments network for banks, digital asset exchanges and other financial institutions. Network participants use a digital coin called XRP for transactions. The cryptocurrency has a four-second settlement time.

Been in it for the last few months before it got big. I bought in at 20 or so cents... so returns are already amazing. Outside of that, the tech, speed, and scalability are lightyears beyond BTC. The company itself has been making major inroads with the banking system, I'm predicting very big things for Ripple personally. I see it going far beyond $2.XX in 2018.

I've got a chunk of this stuff, just wish i'd jumped on an extra few months ago. The stability at this point is probably down to the fact that it's yet to be listed on coin base.

Made a good chunk off XRP and still holding some for 2018. Bithumb exchange in Korea had it trading st 3.xx when it was trading at 2.0x in other exchanges. Thought I would swap some over there so sell till I saw the 10k+ backlog of buy/sell orders.

May have made more but I don’t know.

Yeah I bought $500 worth of XRP 3 weeks ago. That $500 is worth $2,900 now. Gonna hold on to it forever.

I can't seem to find any easy way to buy or sell any of this crypto shit. All I know is, no way in hell am I linking my checking account to ANY of these things... and none of them seem to want to take Paypal... which is my primary funding for stupid stuff (computer upgrades, electronic toys, etc etc)

So the initial buy in is the only pain, coinbase (debit cards) is what I used to buy in and then just traded around in Bittrex (Exchange).

I’ve also exchanged some of the Ethereum, Zen, or other mined coins for Xrp, Ada, Xml, xvg, etc... So you can mine into the market as well.

Man, I had 20 bitcoins like 2 and half years ago but sold them... kicking myself on that one. What's easiest way to buy ripple?

My old wallet: 1GQtSjd3Tya3qm83JvGBi2jvwSETnhiVaD :'(

Edit: just saw you cant mine ripple, not so sure now

Last edited:
Ripple is

Centralized
Proprietary
Privately owned

The exact opposite of bitcoin’s philosophy.

Have fun supporting the existing banking infrastructure with ripple boys. Just wanted to point out your playing for the the wrong team —- in case you didn’t know it.

People talking about BTC or ETH as if a couple people in the whole world don't control it and it's direction entirely lol

I can't seem to find any easy way to buy or sell any of this crypto shit. All I know is, no way in hell am I linking my checking account to ANY of these things... and none of them seem to want to take Paypal... which is my primary funding for stupid stuff (computer upgrades, electronic toys, etc etc)

At least on CoinBase you can cash out to a paypal. I haven't tried it but PayPal is an option for the cash out. You can't add with PayPal but you can withdraw. You can buy with your bank or CC, your choice, bank is half the fees but comes with time lock outs, CC is fast but a 3% fee. Other exchanges allow you to buy in with a CC as well but I honestly haven't cashed out of anything so I can't help ya there.

I got into ripple for a few thousand back when it was .17 a coin, but even now I'm converting all of my daily mining into XRP for the most part, it's the most likely coin to actually go forward with a use case the world can get behind right now

These are cryptocommodities, not cryptocurrency.

Ripple is

Centralized
Proprietary
Privately owned

The exact opposite of bitcoin’s philosophy.

Have fun supporting the existing banking infrastructure with ripple boys. Just wanted to point out your playing for the the wrong team —- in case you didn’t know it.

It even has a terms of use.

People talking about BTC or ETH as if a couple people in the whole world don't control it and it's direction entirely lol
A couple people don’t control btc. That’s why it has so many forks and segwits. Because, while those powers that be want control - they ain’t getting it.

That’s kind of the point.

Last edited:
There are a few very small groups of people that control it. They don't agree, which is why there have been so many forks, but you have as much say in BTC or ETH as you do in how the bank runs your money right now, NONE. It's still centralized, just around different players.

Plus do you really think those forks are good for entire countries that are looking to replace their currency? (I mean that's the goal right, replace all money with BTC?) That's like if in one year the Dollar split into 3 or 4 different currencies that are all different and don't work with each other. Now apply that across that world and you've got more currencies than we've already got.

replace FIAT money with any cryptocurrency ? hell no, "they" will start a 3rd WW to stay in control. There is no escape really, btc is our toy we can play with.

As soon as it becomes critical or dangerous for the established powers you will see how quickly it is cut off. Make a new law, give it a cool name "homeland currency protection and terror bla bla" and it' over.

remember the gold issue !!!!!!!!!! most are too young too remember this. you have no control what so ever, face it

Yes but Ripple doesn't seek to replace currency, it is designed to replace SWIFT. Shit, they don't even have to use XRP if they don't want to, it's just a way to exchange cheaper, that's why I think it's got the most likely chance. Cryptos that seek to replace money and banks will always just be a toy in the big picture, but there are some with a use case that I think can come in handy, there's a few I'm in right now that are like this.

Not to say money can't be made of ETH or BTC or whatever other coins, I'm still mining ETH because it's easiest to mine and then trade for what I actually want and I'm making good returns on that, I'm just saying they will never be what people claim they are for.

replace FIAT money with any cryptocurrency ? hell no, "they" will start a 3rd WW to stay in control. There is no escape really, btc is our toy we can play with.

As soon as it becomes critical or dangerous for the established powers you will see how quickly it is cut off. Make a new law, give it a cool name "homeland currency protection and terror bla bla" and it' over.

remember the gold issue !!!!!!!!!! most are too young too remember this. you have no control what so ever, face it

The vast majority of united states dollars exist only in digital form.

The vast majority of united states dollars exist only in digital form.

Sure, it's NOT backed by ressources like Gold. "They" will kill to stay in control, they will unleash every conventional weapon if need to be, dont be fooled.

Man, I had a ton of ripple back when it started, and they kept changing things and at this point I'll be lucky to find my files that had all my account info... let alone know where to even "log in" like I could before.

Sure, it's NOT backed by ressources like Gold. "They" will kill to stay in control, they will unleash every conventional weapon if need to be, dont be fooled.

Yes, they already have. I'm saying that fiat happens be a digital currency at this point. Just a very bad one. Unavailable on holidays or bed-time, subject to confiscation, hyper inflation, bank bail-ins, etc.

Back