Digi Cam Poll: What Digital Camera do you use?

Had a full Canon setup until mid last year with a couple bodies and a ton of lenses.

Currently have a

Sony a6000
Sony 50 1.8
Sony 20 2.8
Sony Fisheye Adapter
SLR Magic 35mm 1.7

So I had to unexpectedly buy a Nikon D750. I was in Bali at Tanah Lot (a temple off the west coast) for sunset, and my D800 with 14-24, on a tripod, on a rock...well, it toppled over as I was climbing down from the rock. I'm still not sure if my clumsy ass knocked it over or if I just wasn't careful enough about how I had it set up as I was climbing down. It landed right on the 14-24, and a chunk of the lens hood took the brunt of the impact. Then it fell sideways from there into a bit of sea water.

At the time, it still seemed to work, I took a few more pictures and everything looked OK. Then later, I noticed the rear command dial wasn't working. As of right now, the lens seems OK with cosmetic damage, and the body seems to be working fine, but I plan on sending them both in to Nikon for repair. But when we got back to Singapore the next day, I went ahead and bought a D750 in a camera shop there to keep me going since I still had nearly a week of traveling and photography to do. As luck would have it, at least I got a really good deal on a camera that seems to be new in box. I paid about $1600 USD for the D750. And I'm actually really, really liking it.

Beast of a lens. I'm surprised the front element didn't get damaged, considering it fell on it first.

Also, if your gear is out of warranty, give APS a call. Nikon camera service and repair - Authorized Photo Service, Inc.

So I had to unexpectedly buy a Nikon D750. I was in Bali at Tanah Lot (a temple off the west coast) for sunset, and my D800 with 14-24, on a tripod, on a rock...well, it toppled over as I was climbing down from the rock. I'm still not sure if my clumsy ass knocked it over or if I just wasn't careful enough about how I had it set up as I was climbing down. It landed right on the 14-24, and a chunk of the lens hood took the brunt of the impact. Then it fell sideways from there into a bit of sea water.

At the time, it still seemed to work, I took a few more pictures and everything looked OK. Then later, I noticed the rear command dial wasn't working. As of right now, the lens seems OK with cosmetic damage, and the body seems to be working fine, but I plan on sending them both in to Nikon for repair. But when we got back to Singapore the next day, I went ahead and bought a D750 in a camera shop there to keep me going since I still had nearly a week of traveling and photography to do. As luck would have it, at least I got a really good deal on a camera that seems to be new in box. I paid about $1600 USD for the D750. And I'm actually really, really liking it.

Yep you did the right thing buying another camera during your trip. I've told myself that I'd do the same thing if I was out and my D800 got damage. (I did bend the flash mount last summer during my bike tour. Still need to get a quote on getting that repaired....)

Swapped my 5 year old 50D out for a refurbished 70D from the Canon outlet store a couple months ago. Holy cow is the 70D better.

BB

Currently shooting with:
Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 1D Mark II n
Canon 50D

Lenses:
Canon 24-105 L F4 IS USM
Canon 70-200 L F2.8 IS USM II
Canon 28-135 F4 IS USM
Tamron 17-35 Wide angle

I'm not a photographer, but I like to take pictures with my girlfriend from time to time, as well as get shots of stuff to sell on ebay. Couple that with an occasional video, I found the samsung NX500 to be a great camera. The interface when shooting video is a bit lacking, but the video quality is excellent.

Nikon D3300 24Mp unfiltered, with stock 18-55mm VRII zoom -superb for almost everything
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens no VR -for close to mid range tripod shots, or in very low light or when extremely fast focus is needed
UV Filter
Metz 44 AF-1 flash

Stunning camera for the money and then some.
For hurried action shots the automatic setting does a very good job.
60fps 1080p video is fantastic. Can hook up a stereo mic as well.
Is small and light enough to carry around for snaps.
A brilliant all rounder for very little outlay.

bodies:

5dmk4
5dmk3
5dmk2
sl1
g5x
g15

lens:
tamron 70-200 f2.8
canon 70-200 f2.8L IS v1
tamron 15-20 f2.8
tamron 24-70 f2.8
tamron 90mm f2.8 macro
sigma 50mm 1.4 art
canon 17-40 f4L
canon 15mm fisheye f2.8
canon 50mm 1.4
canon 50mm 1.8
canon 24mm 1.8
canon 11-24 f4L (selling soon)
canon 400mm f5.6L

minor update, dropping Canon was best decision i made, still have the 7DII, but that will be gone soon.

Bodys
Sony a7R II
Sony A6300
Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Glass
E-Mount
Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS
Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Samyang AF 14 / 2.8 FE
Sony Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS
Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM
Carl Zeiss Batis 25mm T* f/2
Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G
Sony FE 85mm f/1/4 GM
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN Art
EF-Mount
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary

Vintage Glass
Asanuma Auto-Wide 28mm 2.8 - K Mount
Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 - K Mount
Fujica X-Fujinar.T 135mm 2.8 DM - Fujica-X Mount

Extras
Godox V860II-S
Metabones EF to E Adapter Mark IV (T)
Sigma MC-11

Canon 5D Mark III (Magic Lantern 14-bit RAW Uncompressed 1080p Video)

Carl Zeiss Otus 55mm F/1.4 APO

Samyang 24mm F/1.4

Sachler FSB-8

iPhone SE 32GB (4K / 12 MegaPixels)

18190402426_768edf4b1c_o.jpg

18030663159_74b433e579_o.jpg

18190401916_244ec52602_o.jpg

I have a Sony a6000 and a Sony Nex 7 which are my main cameras. I also have a Canon T2i and a Canon T5. I love the versatility of the Sony's and they are much more convenient to carry than the Canon.

Reactions: erek
like this
few changes from last time *

Bodys

Sony a7R III *
Sony A6500 *
Panasonic LX100 *
Olympus TG-4 *

Glass
E-Mount
Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G Lens *
Sony Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS
Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM
Carl Zeiss Batis 25mm T* f/2
Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS *
Sony FE 85mm f/1/4 GM
Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS *
Sony FE 1.4x Extender
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN Art
EF-Mount
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary

Vintage Glass
Asanuma Auto-Wide 28mm 2.8 - K Mount
Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 - K Mount
Fujica X-Fujinar.T 135mm 2.8 DM - Fujica-X Mount

Extras
Godox V860II-S
Metabones EF to E Adapter Mark IV (T)
Sigma MC-11

no more Canon cameras! Hurray!

Reactions: erek
like this
do you shoot video? i heard that a7R III is an absolute beast ?

I'm curious as well. I know the A7R II was more or less the midrange champion of last gen (although Sony and many others aren't exactly following Canon and Nikon's release cycles, so whose to say what stacks up against what).
Arguably at least anyway, as an all-rounder camera. Some would argue it was the GH4/GH5. But I prefer Sony's better ISO, and full frame. Not to mention being a true hybrid camera, where I probably wouldn't want to use any of the Panasonic cameras for stills work.

I've been considering for a while to making the switch to Sony. I still think that overall, if you have all the money in the world, Canon is the way to go. As Canon still has the best glass and an upgrade path into their Cinema line which is great (like the C200 or even the 1DX II).
But if you can afford only one camera that does everything, the 5D IV is lacking in the video department. And the 1DX II costs twice as much and is much heavier. Sony wins the video, megapixel, and sensor IQ war. Canon still seems ahead on glass, color, and autofocus (specifically double pixel AF, although Sony is catching up).

So it seems like it's a toss up to me if all you do is stills (perhaps with Canon edging out Sony slightly due to glass and color generally being weighted higher than megapixels and the slight sensor DR advantage). But if you do video, it just seems like Sony is a no brainer. Better codecs (motion jpeg is terrible on the 5D IV), S-Log included (although Canon is finally coming around to allowing C-log). The Sony also has Super 35mm crop or Full frame (with worse jello in full frame mode, but either mode is still better than Canons 1.79x crop on the 5d IV in 4k). This is also not to mention Sony's hidden advantage, which is being able to easily use manual lenses with focus peaking and basically an adapter from any system.

I don't take such a jump lightly, but it's been 10 years since the 5D2, and Canon should've been leading the video way. And it's taking companies like Panasonic and Sony eating their lunch for them to get it through their skulls that business is war. I'd rather not have to jump platforms, but I've been considering for at least half a year to making the leap.

===

EDIT: As a side note, Canon is supposedly making a competitive mirrorless system, but who knows how long that will take to develop?
Alternatively a new 5DS/R is also supposed to be making the scene. To my understanding, it will also be a stills focused camera, which will likely only have one variant that will simply not have a low pass filter (basically learning the same thing that Nikon had to learn with the D800/E before simplifying with a single D810). So naming wise it's not sure if it will be "S" or "R", but either way, it will only be one of them. MP will likely be roughly the same (but with better DR and autofocus obviously). But the issue I have is that it supposedly won't have many video focused features. It seems like it's a missed opportunity if so, since having it leap frog the 5D IV in terms of video is a no brainer. As I assume the 5D IV is what it is due to technical limitations, whereas they could design their new higher MP camera with those issues fixed.
I realize that would mean it would have likely worse ISO due to higher pixel count, but if they had full sensor readout with reduction done in camera, that would still be a huge boon to PQ in video mode, especially if they got it up to at least super 35 crop if not full frame. Also hell, it's not like Sony/Nikon are that far off. The A7RIII being ~40MP. So really there isn't a reason that Canon couldn't do it, other than refusing to. And that makes me circle back around to why I'm strongly considering moving to Sony. There is a prime opportunity for Canon to step up, and honestly, I'm expecting them not to. And that cycle is just repeated disappointment.

Last edited:
If I had the money right now I would switch from Canon to those Sony's. I'm hopeful Canon puts up a fight in the next few years when I can afford to buy but if not hello Sony.

If I had the money right now I would switch from Canon to those Sony's. I'm hopeful Canon puts up a fight in the next few years when I can afford to buy but if not hello Sony.

I'm close; mirrorless is the bee's knees for portraiture.

But I don't just do portraiture, I need something moderately well shielded from the elements, and Sony comes up short(er) here. Also interested in responsiveness, and the Sony's are coming closer here, but I think only the A9 does a good DSLR impression.

May wait for the A7R IV. Don't want to pay for the limitations of the A9, including resolution and below-class weather resistance, and not really willing to step down to an A7R III with even slower responsiveness quite yet myself. A9 is also significantly better with adapted glass, and I'd be doing that for a while myself.

I still use my Sony Alpha A100-DSLR, 7579 pics taken since 2006 I believe. And it needs a cleaning

DmDSxew.jpg

I'm close; mirrorless is the bee's knees for portraiture.

But I don't just do portraiture, I need something moderately well shielded from the elements, and Sony comes up short(er) here. Also interested in responsiveness, and the Sony's are coming closer here, but I think only the A9 does a good DSLR impression.

May wait for the A7R IV. Don't want to pay for the limitations of the A9, including resolution and below-class weather resistance, and not really willing to step down to an A7R III with even slower responsiveness quite yet myself. A9 is also significantly better with adapted glass, and I'd be doing that for a while myself.

I don't think "mirrorless" is really great for portraiture. I just think a lot of people have found the specs and controls they want in Sony hardware. If Canon had the same "spec sheet" as the A7R III, then there would be less of a thought about it. Some people even preferring the dSLR for balance reasons with bigger glass (especially if a 70-200mm or longer is an important lens for the work you do). The 5DSR does a good job in keeping up with a big portion of the spec war. And is favored by Canon shooters that control the lighting environment, in which a DR advantage doesn't matter anyway.

The thing is though, to your point and also mine, is that Sony makes a single camera that does everything, and Canon is stuck making specialized cameras that 'just' fulfill a single niche. And that isn't a solution that most of us on the ground can afford.

If you can afford it (which ain't cheap) you can generally find a9's used for around $3k. Making a two body setup viable on Sony, with the other more than likely being an A7RIII. We also don't know what the A7SIII will be like, but as I think most need a single camera that will work well in both arenas, the S variation might get pushed out simply in favor of not wanting a specialized camera.

Responsiveness and ruggedness of the A7R III/A9 still fall short of comparable DSLRs (and even other mirrorless formats!) for 'does everything'.

Further, the reason I like mirrorless for portraiture is that composition can be difficult without it. Even the best DSLRs lack the AF frame coverage of basic mirrorless options.

So there's things that they do better, and things that they still need to catch up on.

Responsiveness and ruggedness of the A7R III/A9 still fall short of comparable DSLRs (and even other mirrorless formats!) for 'does everything'.

Agreed. It is slightly bewildering why Sony didn't up their gasket game on the A7R III. Or at the very least on the A9.
The thing that makes it tough is not knowing at precisely how good or bad Sony's are in 'bad' weather environments. Colby Brown moved from the 1DX II to the A7R II (predating the III of course), now he's on a III. He exclusively shoots landscapes in out of the way, hard to reach locations for magazines that specialize in that sort of stuff. So, he's constantly in the snow in Iceland or trekking through Patagonia, etc. All of it requires hiking into some remote place. I'd like to think that if he can do that, it has to be at least "okay".
How much it has to be coddled in a storm is of course an entirely different test however.

Further, the reason I like mirrorless for portraiture is that composition can be difficult without it. Even the best DSLRs lack the AF frame coverage of basic mirrorless options.

It's an artificial limitation though. Like the reverse of the above. Uncertain why Canon and Nikon have refused to push the points out. However, focus recompose works for the most part. And it's rare that a point on the edge of what Canon offers isn't usable whereas a further point would be. Of course this is all usage case.
I don't deny and agree that having the option at the end of the day is better.

So there's things that they do better, and things that they still need to catch up on.

Yeap.

Last edited:
So, agreed!

My issue with focus-recompose is that it becomes an issue in two cases: where the subject is moving a lot, and where depth of field is shallow. I own a 6D that has literally one very good focus point and I'm imminently familiar with the process; what really irritated me was renting a 5D IV and still having to use it for portraiture.

I can't say that I know the exact technical reason, except that it has to do with off-sensor PDAF versus on-sensor and that the 35mm-format imposes limits for both. For mirrorless, we see some issues with extreme telephotos, and for DSLRs, frame coverage.

One of the reasons I like the Sony mirrorless is the continuous tracking eye AF. That thing is like the cheat mode for portraiture with wide aperture. I do wish the weather sealing is better. However, with my shooting style using from the sony a7r to a7ii to now the a7riii, I have not experienced any problem. Knock on wood!!!

I do agree that using a big lense on it is unbalance. A battery grip should help tho. I have sold all my Canon L glasses and went native for Sony, just so I don't have to deal with adapters (beside the old manual lenses). All in all, I don't regret moving to Sony at all, well may be a little since it is painful to the wallet.

^^Look into TechArt Pro adapters. It adds AF to your MF lenses (in normal range).

That's nice for special M-mount lenses that never had AF at all- you can get Eye-AF and IBIS!

But this is largely a novelty usage as most M-mount lenses need correction either in terms of filters or changes to the sensor glass for best optical performance, and by the time you've gotten all of that working, you find you'd have been better off with a native AF solution.

[of course, if you already have expensive M-mount lenses...]

That's nice for special M-mount lenses that never had AF at all- you can get Eye-AF and IBIS!

But this is largely a novelty usage as most M-mount lenses need correction either in terms of filters or changes to the sensor glass for best optical performance, and by the time you've gotten all of that working, you find you'd have been better off with a native AF solution.

[of course, if you already have expensive M-mount lenses...]
Actually you can get adapter to use other mounts also. I had the M to FD adapter for the old Canon FD mount to use with the TechArt. You have to buy the techart adapter to use with the techart pro, otherwise prepare to do some cutting and hacking for the regular adapter to fit due to the base bum.

You get AF, but not eye AF i don't think.

I’m on the canon side with a 20D (still somewhere) and a 1DMIII, mainly gLass, as fast as my credit card allowed.
500/4.0 L IS
400/5.6 L
300/4.0 L IS
135/2.0 L
85/1.2 L
17-40/4.0 L
28-70/2.8 L
70-200/2.8 L IS

Whatever body will come, the glass stay

Canon 77D

Canon 10-18mm f2.8-5.6 ISSTM
Canon 40mm f2.8 STM