Digi Cam Poll: What Digital Camera do you use?

I have a Canon 30D / 17-40mm F/4 L / 70-200mm F/4 L / 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM / 50mm F/1.8 MKI / 18-55mm kit lens.

I'm content with my camera body but I wish I could afford some better lenses. I've been renting them for special events. Photography is just a casual hobby for me so the mediocre nature of my photos is of no negative consequence. I also carry an old Sony T9 with me.

Last edited:
Ok update:

Canon 50D
Canon 40D <-- Wife uses it mostly
Canon 300 F4L IS
Canon 70-200 F4L IS
Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS
Canon 580 EX II
Canon 430 EX

Nikon D200
MB-D200 Grip
Nikon 18-105

I *REALLY* want to buy Nikon's 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 soon, but they just cost soo much! heheh.

Other crap on my "buy" list: Nikon's 18-200 (to replace the 18-105), Sigma's 50 1.4, Nikon SB-900.

Last edited:
Nikon D200
Other crap on my "buy" list: Nikon's 18-200 (to replace the 18-105), Sigma's 50 1.4, Nikon SB-900.

What about the 18-135? It's sharper than the 18-105.

As for me:

Nikon D40
18-55mm kit lens
55-200mm VR telephoto

Sony Cybershot DSC-W80

The pics I take with them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10037058@N08/

Current wish list:
SB-400 flash
A film SLR
50mm f/1.8D(manual focus, but I won't mind)
D90(eventually)

What about the 18-135? It's sharper than the 18-105.

It didn't have VR I suppose, but I've run around with having it turned off and really haven't noticed too much of a difference... you must have Alzheimers to activate it or something? Or just that 105 is silly to have VR?

Either way, it's bought now and will be replaced when I have money.

Nikon D40
18-55mm non-VR AF-S
70-300mm VR AF-S
50mm f/1.4G AF-S

Now if only Nikon would release a wide AF-S prime I'd be happy :)

Nikon D40
18-55mm non-VR AF-S
70-300mm VR AF-S
50mm f/1.4G AF-S

why do you need Nikon to release a wide AFS prime, when you can get the 14-24 /2.8? arguably the best wide angle zoom lens currently available. better then almost any prime lens out there.

Well, on my graduate student salary of, well, not that much, I think the 14-24 will have to wait. Cost is an important consideration. I don't think I could use something like that lens effectively right now anyway, given that my skill level is just above your typical P&S user :) Maybe in another 10 years I'll actually know what I'm doing :)

Nikon D40
18-55mm non-VR AF-S
70-300mm VR AF-S
50mm f/1.4G AF-S

What made you go with the 50mm over the sigma 30mm?

I was thinking of getting the 50mm until I read that a lot of people actually recommend the 30mm for our D40.:confused:

Sigma as a brand scares me :p I'm also not that impressed with the Sigma 30mm--a friend has it and its wide-open performance is not that great. He also reproduced a front-focus issue with the lens and had to send it to Sigma for adjustment. So, I'm a Nikon snob :)

You might look at the new Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. It's pretty inexpensive but the reviews are good and it's wider than the 50mm. 50mm on a DX sensor is pretty tight and best for head-and-shoulders shots of individuals. Wait for the price to come back down to $200 though--it's inflated at the moment as it's still relatively new and demand has been higher than Nikon expected.

Finally broke down and ordered a pocket-wizard set to run my lights correctly. Here's my current set-up again including strobist info.

Nikon D90
- Nikkor AF 10.5mm f/2.8 DX
- Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8
- Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.4
- Tamron 90mm f/3 Macro
- Nikkor AFS 70-300mm VR

- SB-900 w/ 12" boom-stand and umbrella
- SB-600 w/ 6" stand and umbrella
- Pocket Wizard Plus II (x3)

Will be shooting my first wedding this coming September (gift job for a close friend of mine who can't afford a "real" photog), and trying to get prepped for the shoot. Planning on setting one light at the back-right corner of the room w/ 1/2-cto to give some warmth to the scene, and the prime light at center-left of room with an assistant to re-aim as needed. Will probably shoot the procesional stuff with the 24mm prime, then switch to 70-300mm for closups once everyone's on-stage.

I'm already wishing I had a second camera body, a wide zoom, and lots more lights, but since I'm not getting paid for this shoot, I'm going to try and stretch my current gear to do what I need.

Any tips from people who have already shot weddings on what to use where? Would appreciate any info.

I started off with a FujiFilm Finepix2600 2MP Camera.

I replaced that with my current P&S, a Olympus C765UZ. A 4MP camera with a 10x optical zoom. Although I liked the Olympus, I also wanted to get a DSLR to play around with.

I picked up a Nikon D60 Body. Currently I borrow two different lenses from a friend, until I can get my own.
AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D and AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

I just got a Nikon D60 with the 18-55mm VR AF-S lens. Cant freaking wait to use it.

I could use it tonight but no freaking memory card. I was sure I had one kicking around.

Any tips from people who have already shot weddings on what to use where? Would appreciate any info.

I sure as hell don't know anything about doing a good job, but I bet you'd get some advice on dpreview.com in the "pro" forum. Just be sure to phrase your question like "My friends cannot afford a "real" photographer, so I'm doing this as a gift. It's either me or nothing. So, that said, ... does anyone have any recommendation?" :) Someone should reply with something. The people on that forum can be pretty touchy (much like this one :p) but as long as you explain the circumstances they can also be pretty helpful.

Slight change up:
Canon 5D
Canon EOS-3
Canon 35mm f/1.4L
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L

WTB: Feisol CT-3442 + Markins Q3 ballhead

Finally broke down and ordered a pocket-wizard set to run my lights correctly. Here's my current set-up again including strobist info.

Nikon D90
- Nikkor AF 10.5mm f/2.8 DX
- Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8
- Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.4
- Tamron 90mm f/3 Macro
- Nikkor AFS 70-300mm VR

- SB-900 w/ 12" boom-stand and umbrella
- SB-600 w/ 6" stand and umbrella
- Pocket Wizard Plus II (x3)

Will be shooting my first wedding this coming September (gift job for a close friend of mine who can't afford a "real" photog), and trying to get prepped for the shoot. Planning on setting one light at the back-right corner of the room w/ 1/2-cto to give some warmth to the scene, and the prime light at center-left of room with an assistant to re-aim as needed. Will probably shoot the procesional stuff with the 24mm prime, then switch to 70-300mm for closups once everyone's on-stage.

I'm already wishing I had a second camera body, a wide zoom, and lots more lights, but since I'm not getting paid for this shoot, I'm going to try and stretch my current gear to do what I need.

ask around at Nikonians.org, those guys will be able to help you out. you have a fine gear for what you're planning to do. just don't sweat it, have fun, and the pictures will come out great! good luck!

Canon Rebel XT
18-55mm Canon zoom lens
Sigma 70-300mm telephoto lens
Digital Concepts wide angle lens w/macro filter (crappy for wide-angle due to crazy fringing and distortion when zoomed out, but awesome for macro shots)

Canon T1i w/ BG-E5 grip
- Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
- Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
- Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
- Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Canon SD870 IS P&S backup

Last edited:
Chiming in...
Pentax K10d (upgrade focus screen) + DBG2
- Sigma DC Macro 17-70/2.8-4.5
- Pentax DA* 50-135/2.8
- Pentax FA 50/1.4
- Jupiter-9 85/2
- Toyo mirror lens 300/5.6

Ain't a digicam, but my Nikon N90 came today. Only $35 :D Film cameras are darn cheap these days.

(yes that's a DX 18-55 mounted, but there's no vignetting on film@ 55mm)

Current film stockpile in the fridge:
4x rolls of expired Kodak Gold 800
1x roll of expired Kodak Gold 200
Half-shot off roll of in-date Fujifilm Velvia 100
Planning on getting some more Velvia and some Kodak Ektar 100 soon

Digital gear:
Nikon D40
18-55 kit lens
55-200 VR telephoto

Other stuff:
Some old tripod found in the trash. Works well considering it's free . It's so old it says made in the USA on it

I'm surprised anyone would buy an old camera which uses film these days. They might be cheap but you don't get a proper preview of what you're shooting, you can't go back and check what your pictures look like, you can't delete the bad ones (I take hundreds sometimes of the same insect only to edit 5-6 of them in Photoshop and be happy with them), you have to develop your pictures which takes time and/or money, you can only take a very limited amount of pictures per film and you can't just transfer your pics to a computer and edit away. *deep breath*

Yeah I think film died for me years ago. I could never use that now, I'm too spoiled by the marvels of digital images.

Yeah, but somehow my attitude with film is completely different. For some reason, I'm much happier when shooting, and the delayed gratification is for some reason enjoyable. The lack of instant review may be negative for most, but for me, it builds up excitement until that moment at the drugstore I see my negatives.

Not to mention in reality I have more time, as I'm spending less time reviewing each shot and more time looking for new shots, or moving on. I don't really have to do much post work with film. Sure, you could still scan them and run them through PS, but I usually don't. Not to mention I really don't have spent time to burn CDs or DVDs of my shots any more.

Also, I'm feeling I'm learning faster and better on film. On film, I think a LOT more about making a shot, and my keeper rate is higher. And somehow, I've bonded with my camera a lot more. I put A LOT of trust into the camera's meter into getting the exposure right, and so far it's doing quite well. My first roll of negatives were all well exposed.

Not to mention the viewfinder on the N90 is a pleasure to use. Absolutely kicks the D40's puny crappy pentamirror in the ass, and at 1/10th the price. You need at least a D700 to get such a good viewfinder on digital.

Digital still has its place with me, but I actually have a feeling I might move on to shooting mostly film.

Film will never go away. I have a film canon rebel too. It's great to have a full frame 35mm cam for 1/10th the price of a digital. And all my Digi Rebel lenses work with it too. The more you shoot with film the more you have an eye for proper settings, which means far less wasted shots. You will still bork some, but that comes with experience.

Take your nice negatives and get them drum-scanned... freakin delicious.

Just got my Canon 300D in and so far only have the 18-55mm kit lens, looking to add to it though.

1st dSLR, was an early x-mas gift from my wife...K20D with 16-45mm DA lens, 50-200mm DA lens.

DSC_0145.jpg

I've had an EOS350D for the past 4 years or so that I got used. It was in impeccable shape and came with a kit lens for like 350 bucks. When I got it, I was trying to pick between it and a battle scarred 30D body for the same price. It was a very tough decision, but having it still getting work done to this day is okay. Of course, I'm now looking to upgrade, but my Rebel's been good to me. :)

I've also got a Maxum 3 and an AE-1. The Maxum became more or less an impressive looking vacation camera till my Rebel appeared on the scene, but the AE-1 was awesome until I broke the film winder. I'd like to get it fixed some day though.

When I was shooting film I think I was much better because I'd turn out tighter work from making every shot count and getting my money's worth in film, paper and chemicals. Nowadays I seem to snap away haphazardly like a mental to fill a CF card and then end up discarding dozens of shots because of sloppy mistakes.

Vroom_skies, how do you like your Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens??

It's quite nice I must say.
Not much that I can fault against it. Some say it's heavy, but that comes with the territory.
Other then that the build, optics & everything else are great.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Bob

Vroom_skies, how do you like your Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens??

Quite a bit of Pentax users here on [H] :D

I chose the 50-135/2.8 DA* over the 70-200mm for portability. I happy so far, but for that extra reach, I bought a cheapo 300/5.6 mirror lens!

After about 10,000 pictures through several iterations of P&S cameras I finally entered the DSLR world with the following:

- Nikon D3000 Body
- Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR
- Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR
- 2x4GB Sandisk Extreme III SDHC
- 1x8GB Sandisk Extreme II SDHC
- Lowepro Slingshot 100AW

I chose the D3000 because I am in the "learning to use a real camera" phase, and I got a hell of a deal on it. I figure in a couple years I'll probably upgrade to a more prosumer level DSLR.

My current camera is a Canon SD770 IS which is now the pocket backup.

Retired: Canon A510, Canon SD1000

Last edited:
Just got the D90 + 18-105 VR kit for my birthday, super excited to take it out all kinds of places.

Now I have to find a bag and a tripod and a nicer neck-strap, phew, this is going to be epic.

Been using my friends Canon Rebel's and D80's and my dad's D40 for a while and decided I wanted one of my own finally and asked as a long-shot and lo and behold they were thrilled to buy me anything besides computer gear haha, so here I've got my new D90.

I've had a D50 for a few years now, clicked the shutter more than 16,000 times. I've gone through a variety of lenses (18-55 kit, 18-70 kit, 70-210 f/4, 18-200VR), but as my shooting has become more defined I've stuck mostly to my Tokina 12-24 f/4 and an 80-200 f/2.8D two-ring. I find myself shooting at the extremes most of the time and not missing the midrange, although I may eventually look into a 17-55 f/2.8 to fill the gap or something. Probably upgrade the body to a D90/D300 at some point too.

Back