Difficulty finding Dell T5500 Memory (Triple Channel DDR3, EEC, Reg)

kent

2[H]4U
Hello, my friend has a Dell Precision T5500 workstation he uses as a desktop. It has 6GB of memory in 1x6GB configuration

We would like to upgrade to at least 24GB (444444) or (888000)

I am having issues finding RAM for this machine. I know it takes DDR3, EEC and Registered memory. I see a lot of vendors trying to sell me two sticks for a triple channel machine and I don't think the vendors actually know what they're doing so I'm looking for an 8GB or a 4GB module I can buy 3 or 6 of, respectively.

TIA

Kenton

You can just do the math. Not everything DDR3 was tri-channel. Buy 3 individual sticks, buy 3 pairs of sticks, etc...

(with that said, the whole tri-channel thing messed even the major suppliers... and I had to correct them on "configs" many many many times... people like Dell, HP, IBM)

You can just do the math. Not everything DDR3 was tri-channel. Buy 3 individual sticks, buy 3 pairs of sticks, etc...

I get that, what I am saying is I am having difficulty finding memory that will work in this machine. The modules are either $20 or $120. Crucial's memory configurator only shows me an 8GB stick they sell, for $111 for each :eek: and Corsair doesn't seem to have one anymore.

Can you help me find DDR3, Registered, EEC, 4 or 8GB modules that would work in this Dell T5500. That's what I've come here for. Thank you.

I am hesitant because I've never bought server-grade memory before and I do not want to buy the wrong thing for this friend of mine.

I ran samsung sticks. I forget the part number unfortunately. I've had t3500, t5500, t7500, z400, and z600 systems. I think I used the same ram in all of them. Some had silver heat spreaders some did not but I believe everything I used was Samsung reg ecc.

Went through my emails. Found a few different rams I ordered. I'm on my phone so you will have to Google compatibility.

SHIPPED: Samsung 4GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 ECC Server Memory 500203-061 M393B5170FH0-CH9Q4

I don't know if that one is registered or ecc unbuffered.

LMGTFY

Seriously... I mean, it works for me.... you know? If you want cheaper, go ebay, I bet there's a ton there at discounted prices.

Last edited:
Does your friend actually NEED registered ECC ram? If not, the T5500 will work with unbuffered ECC ram too.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/precision-t5500_setup guide_en-us.pdf
Your computer uses 1066 MHz and 1333Mhz DDR3 unbuffered or registered ECC SDRAM memory. DDR3 SDRAM, or double-data-rate three synchronous dynamic random access memory, is a random access memory technology. It is a part of the SDRAM family of technologies, which is one of many DRAM (dynamic random access memory) implementations, and is an evolutionary improvement over its predecessor, DDR2 SDRAM.

Last edited:
Yes. The T5500 will accept non-registered ECC. However, registered are far less expensive. Even more so if buying used is an option.

The IBM '49Y1397' modules (regardless of re-brand) are on the compatibility list for the Intel 5520 chipset the board is based on. See system #2 in my signature. Have a set like this in my T5500 right now. $72 for 6x8gb=48gb. Triple channel of course.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes. The T5500 will accept non-registered ECC. However, registered are far less expensive. Even more so if buying used is an option.

The IBM '49Y1397' modules (regardless of re-brand) are on the compatibility list for the Intel 5520 chipset the board is based on. See system #2 in my signature. Have a set like this in my T5500 right now. $72 for 6x8gb=48gb. Triple channel of course.

THANK YOU

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back