Different mobo different results unlocking?

mannyman

2[H]4U
Well my 425 x3 didnt unlock with my gigabyte mobo, is there a possible chance it might do better with a ASRock M3A770DE? or is that a no? also if it does or doesnt will my X3 or the X4 it unlocks to be sufficient to run 2 5770's in crossfire?

ok, but i could never get it stable with any overclock other than about 3ghz on this board, what is a good overclock on a X3 425? is it possible 4 ghz range?

No 4ghz isn't usually possible on one of those. Which gigabyte is it?

You shouldn't have much trouble getting 3.5ghz, just make sure you turn down the hyper transport multiplier to put it under 2000mhz total - much easier to get stable that way.

Last edited:
I have an x3 425 and I got it to 3.6Ghz. I was able to unlock it with the ASRock M3A770DE to 4 cores and even the L3 cache. I couldn't get it stable past 2.8Ghz though so I figured I would just keep it at 3 cores @ 3.6Ghz since I'd probably get better performance in games, or at least the same and it would use less power.

well im upgrading from the gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 to a ASRock M3A770DE but i could splurge a little and get an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO would the be a better motherboard? anyways i should get a small boost just going to a board that has ddr3 1600 over ddr2 1066 right?

Go for the Asus board over the Asrock. Asrock boards very limited to OC features. Plus the asus board is a well known board for unlocking, Ocing & does have VRM cooling

The other problem I see tho is you cant use your DDR 2 memory on that board. So if you switch boards your gonna have to ditch the DDR2 ram for DDR3

well i will be crossfiring later on, im going to be crossfiring 2 5770's an x4 slot isnt to much of a drag on a 5770 and my budget is about $80 so not very much

I think its going to be your best bet. I can recommend better boards but its closer to a 100 dollar budget at that point.

My 955 at home hit the same overclock on a gigabyte 880gm with no mosfet cooling as it does on the gigabyte 890fx-ud7. Yes I am doing bus overclocking. So imo don't get your hopes up on a higher number with a different board.

By time you buy a different motherboard, another 5770, and and different ram, you could just buy a radeon 6950, and keep your current board.

would that be wise? i didnt think my cpu, ram or processor wouldnt be enough for it, and my mobo only has pcie x16 not even 2.0 woulnd that be a drag on a 6950? or much less a 6970? anyways the 5770 is sufficent for now, and later on i can upgrade if i need to. or should i just get a new processor?

Last edited:
well i ended up buying the asus mobo, ill upgrade gpus later on, but i think a good base is better to start off, thatnks for the imput guys!

Back