Differences in Wireless Bridge and Wireless Repeaters?

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
I know this is probably asked a lot, too much even, but I keep getting mixed answers by searching online. If I have a wireless router, what would be the difference in setting it to either Bridge mode or as a Repeater mode? I believe bridge mode would have it catch a wifi signal and allow you to hardwire a device to it via ethernet, right? And i believe repeater mode would have the router catch a wifi signal and... repeat it... amplify and send out the wifi signal to extend the wifi range coverage, right? Now, i dont see why both have to exist. Cant you set the router to repeater mode and still hardwire a device to it via ethernet, while still having it broadcast the repeated wifi signal?
Also, would a router set to bridge mode re-broadcast the wifi signal too while still having a device connected to it via ethernet?
Lastly, what if you set the router as an AP? Dont AP's extend the wifi coverage by re-broadcasting the connected wifi signal, AND allow you to connect devices via ethernet?

Any help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

bridge is wired at both ends using wireless in-between.
repeater doesn't need any network connection after the first repeater.
Unify has units that look like fancy smoke detectors, first one is wired to the network and all the rest of them just need to be in range of another to repeat the signal.

AP's don't re-broadcast the signal from the originating wifi as you would be connected to the AP and not the other wifi.
I use 2 routers here, one is used as a wifi router and the other is used as a switch and AP with the routing turned off, I also have the SSID and passwords the same on both so my devices will automatically connect to the stronger signal.

bridge is wired at both ends using wireless in-between.
repeater doesn't need any network connection after the first repeater.
Unify has units that look like fancy smoke detectors, first one is wired to the network and all the rest of them just need to be in range of another to repeat the signal.

Thanks. Yeah, ive seen those, theyre cool, but they are just over priced repeaters basically, I think.

AP's don't re-broadcast the signal from the originating wifi as you would be connected to the AP and not the other wifi.
I use 2 routers here, one is used as a wifi router and the other is used as a switch and AP with the routing turned off, I also have the SSID and passwords the same on both so my devices will automatically connect to the stronger signal.
I am going to use the same SSID and password for my second router as an AP. I thought all AP's had to have the same SSID and pass as the first router?

Last edited:
huh...

Overpriced? Someone is smoking something.... Considering the competition was at an $600 entry level price before the Unifi's came out.

A bridge network spans to different transports at layer 2. You can have a copper to fiber bridge, or a wireless to copper bridge, or a copper to wireless to powerline to fiber bridge. If it's operating as a Layer to device to change transport mediums its basically a bridge network.

A repeater does exactly what it sounds like, it waits then repeats what it heard previously. It's used to extend a wireless networks operational distance but comes with the penalty of cutting your usable throughput by 1/2 and often more.

You can make a wireless to wireless bridge. Some netgear equipment and I think the Unifi Pro and AC models can do this.

Basically one wireless radio usually 2.4Ghz communicates with the client and the 5Ghz on the other radio in the same device is used for the back haul data link. Operating like this the device is NOT acting as a repeater, it is in fact acting like a bridge network and can run at near full wireless rated wireless speed.

Unifi's are not exactly like a consumer AP. More like owning an F450 and using it as your daily driver. It's not going to make sense if all you're doing is going to the grocery store, but the ability/capability is there.

That said I wouldn t use the APs you get at Best buy and deploy them by the tens at a university....But I would do that with Ubiquity Unifi s. For example: Imperial Collage of London I think has 200 Unifi APs deployed over their campus.

FYI.... I have a Unifi AC which is a bit overpriced at the moment, but I'm fairly certain It will remain on my ceiling for the next 5+ years with only software changes.

Back