Difference from 2gb to 4gb upgrade

WiL11o6

Limp Gawd
My specs:

c2d [email protected]
2gb DDR2 800mhz
geforce 9800GTX+

I am currently running windows 7 with 2gb of ram. I have a $50 promotional gift card from newegg and I am wondering if upgrading to 4gb would yield a good performance gain. I generally just surf the web, watch videos, and play BFBC2 quite a lot. Should I upgrade to 4gb or save the $50 for elsewhere. The 2gb is going to cost about $60 on newegg.

So, that means it would be a worthy upgrade where I can notice an improvement?

So, that means it would be a worthy upgrade where I can notice an improvement?

Hmm.. I have never run Windows 7 with less than my 6GB of RAM, so I can't say for sure exactly how much impact it will ahve on every day computing, but I suspect you will notice a good improvement.

I am personally considering upgrading from my 6 GB to 12 GB, but that is because I do some pretty intensive digital photo work on large resolution pictures from my camera, and often run multiple VMware instances that suck up ram.

For these applications I would REALLY benefit from more ram.

I suspect that the greater caching, and less frequent swap file use will be noticeable for you, but I just can't say for sure.

I went from 1 GB to 4 GB on my laptop under Win7 and it was like night and day. Not sure how much was due to the first GB added vs. the rest, but I suspect the difference will be noticeable in bootup time, overall system responsiveness, etc.

I would consider trying to sell your 2gb and trying to get 2x2gb dimms versus adding 2x1gb dimms if you can.

2gb to 4gb is a big upgrade.. but once you go higher than 4gb, you most likely wont notice the upgrade unless you use a lot of memory demanding programs

i say do it

I'll second the suggestion to try to sell your 2x1GB DIMMs and pick up 2x2GB DIMMs. I highly recommend making the upgrade, you'll definitely see a performance boost.

Every once in a while look in Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-ESC) (Performance tab) to see how much memory you are using. If it's more than 2GB then you'll benefit from an upgrade.

Back