difference between smoothwall and ipcop?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
what is the difference between smoothwall and ipcop? i just got my ipcop box up and running and im looking for new stuff i can experiment with so i went to the smoothwall website and read the Documentation on installation and admin and it looks like a copy of ipcop?

also what other good firewalls can you get?

its the other way around.....ipcop is based off of smoothwall

the main bread and butter so to speak for linux based firewalls are ipcop, smoothwall, and clarkconnect home edition.

ipcop being the only one of the three that doesnt have a commercial version of it.

IPCop is a fork off of Smoothwall about 2 years ago. They split and each kept developing separately after that.

what about clarkconnect its advertised as a "Server and Gateway" and says it has - mail, web, VPN, backup, file and print services? i see it doing the same stuff as ipcop and firewall but what about the other stuff?

I think certain versions of clark connect can provide additional server roles besides just firewall...although I'm not certain as the farthest I ever got with CC was downloading the iso. :cool:

dx2 said:
I think certain versions of clark connect can provide additional server roles besides just firewall...although I'm not certain as the farthest I ever got with CC was downloading the iso. :cool:

Clarkconnect is the only one that isn't billed as primarily a firewall.

It as noted is a server/gateway - I have one at home acting as just a firewall/router, and one at work acting as a firewall/router [like ipcop or smoothwall would be used] and a FTP and HTTP server for external hosts.

Malk-a-mite said:
Clarkconnect is the only one that isn't billed as primarily a firewall.

It as noted is a server/gateway - I have one at home acting as just a firewall/router, and one at work acting as a firewall/router [like ipcop or smoothwall would be used] and a FTP and HTTP server for external hosts.

so you can run the ftp and mail servers ont he same machine be used as the router/firewall i was told that you can only have the machine running a firewall and nothign else?

AMD_Gamer said:
so you can run the ftp and mail servers ont he same machine be used as the router/firewall i was told that you can only have the machine running a firewall and nothign else?

It's the difference between if you can, and if you should.

You can run a Clarkconnect box as a web, mail, ftp, ssh, routing, firewall. You shouldn't run all those services on a firewall, but you can. Typically if you can you should limit what your firewall does so that it limits the possible attack vectors.

I myself am a fan of pfSense, which is essentially monowall with a few extras :-D

Back