Difference between gigabit switches?

cesium666

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm just looking for a simple 8 port gigabit switch to replace the old 5 port 100mbit switch we have. Don't need anything fancy, it's just to add more ports to our gigabit router. Recently bought a NAS, so just need to ensure all our wired computers (which have gigabit NICs) have a gigabit connection for best speeds for backing up, accessing files, etc.

There's this Trendnet 8 port gigabit switch on Newegg for $20 after coupon today, just curious if there's any reason to spend $5-10 more for a different brand or model. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156448

If you don't need management not really but depending on chipset used you may run into some hard to diagnose issues. Some switch chipsets such as Realtek seems to have issues with compatibility sometimes, of course of chipset is something manufacturers won't tell you in their tech specs so just cross your fingers. Some might offer longer warranty and have builtin PSU. That said, I would probably go for the LG-Ericsson ES-1108G as it has builtin PSU and I'm a swede since its just a tiny bit more expensive ;D
//Danne

Last edited:
This is for a work environment? Spend more money than that if it is.

Due note that unmanaged switches are essentially the same. There's no money in designing hardware that's really cheap.
//Danne

It will be fine, I use a lot of them in homes and very small offices and sometimes as office switches on larger networks.
I use them because I have not found any device/nic computability issues with them.
Netgear on the other had have shown a ton of issues with their small switches,

It will be fine, I use a lot of them in homes and very small offices and sometimes as office switches on larger networks.
I use them because I have not found any device/nic computability issues with them.
Netgear on the other had have shown a ton of issues with their small switches,

Trendnet is a decent brand.

For the smaller switches I have at work, I only have Netgear. Probably have at least 15 of them scattered throughout 2 buildings. Have never had an issue with any of them in the last 3 years.

I also have a Netgear 8 port at home that I purchased used. When I got it, one of the lights didn't work but all the ports worked just fine. Then one day it got bumped off the top of the computer and hit the floor. That light has been working ever since.

There are some really crappy brands I will not use at all anymore due to having issues with them.

I'm not saying you'll have a problem with that switch, but you'll never have an issue with a netgear gs108. Lifetime warranty, metal case. Just plain all around solid switch.

netgear may have gotten better I haven't used them in 5 or 6 years but the way I figure it why mess with what works for me so I use the trendnets. If I need more than 8 ports I use the hp 18xx series.

hm i might ebay the netgear gs108. there's a fair amount of them for around/under $30 after they were on sale for $25 a few weeks ago (sadly had no need for a switch then).
might nonetheless go with the trendnet, as i prefer buying from a retailer. thanks again for the input guys.

EDIT: bought the trendnet. read some reviews about the netgear running very hot, which put me off re longevity

Last edited:
hm i might ebay the netgear gs108. there's a fair amount of them for around/under $30 after they were on sale for $25 a few weeks ago (sadly had no need for a switch then).
might nonetheless go with the trendnet, as i prefer buying from a retailer. thanks again for the input guys.

EDIT: bought the trendnet. read some reviews about the netgear running very hot, which put me off re longevity

I'm sure the trendnet will be fine.

I've never seen one of the netgear ones run hot at all. They don't even get warm, and I have a bunch of them.

I have an 8 port Trendnet green. Not sure what model exactly, I've had it several years. I like it quite a bit. The metal case looks a lot nicer than most of the plastic junk out there and I've never had any performance issues, not that I ever pushed it that hard.

I have a Trendnet in a box that did fine for a while. Also have an unmanaged 8-port HP that has served me well for a few years, and was under $100. Netgear makes some solid switches, I used to beat on the metal-case GS series units pretty hard in a past life and never killed one (though I did kill a few Intel rack montser units with the same workload).

I usually say double the number of ports you think you need. Amazing how quick you fill up a 8 port switch.

Couple of PCs, printer, Xbox, TV box, connection to router, spare port....

Only going to get more.

Back