difference between a 24-pin and a 20-pin motherboard power connector?

20 pin was the old atx header. your psu has a 24 pin. i would give it a good cleaning and then pop the lid off and inspect it for any signs of excessive heat or bad caps. if it looks good, use it.
1610750094784.png

That late eh? I took a shot in the dark because I cannot remember the last time I saw a 20 pin.
even later than that too, i have a '08-10+* corsair TX750W sitting here that has a spilt 20+4.
*edit: not sure the age, the system has a 2500K in it...

even later than that too, i have a '08-10+* corsair TX750W sitting here that has a spilt 20+4.
*edit: not sure the age, the system has a 2500K in it...
I have a 2018 evga 1300w here that has the split as well, but I still consider that a 24 pin as I could never imagine someone using it in a pc from that era.

I have a 2018 evga 1300w here that has the split as well, but I still consider that a 24 pin as I could never imagine someone using it in a pc from that era.
yeah, i havent bought a new psu in a few years, wasnt sure if they made them solid 24pin yet. well, if you have a specialized system, like a cnc controller or something, and you need a new psu you still have options, i guess.

Don’t think I’m trusting a 7yo psu with a brand new cpu and mb. That said it should be fine, but I’d spend $100-150 on a new one.

That late eh? I took a shot in the dark because I cannot remember the last time I saw a 20 pin.
I don't think a single Socket a board ever came with a 24 pin. They made those into the mid 2000s. Once Socket 754/940/939 came out I think they made the switch. I think the same happened on the Intel side when they jumped to lga 775.

I don't think a single Socket a board ever came with a 24 pin. They made those into the mid 2000s. Once Socket 754/940/939 came out I think they made the switch. I think the same happened on the Intel side when they jumped to lga 775.
Whenever they moved to PCIe (04-ish?) since the extra 4 pins were put it to provide the extra power PCIe slots needed.

Don’t think I’m trusting a 7yo psu with a brand new cpu and mb. That said it should be fine, but I’d spend $100-150 on a new one.

I've seen units under constant use last upwards of ten years. That said, using a 7+ year old PSU with a new setup that's known to be power hungry out of the gate seems like a bad idea. In fact, I know all too well as my five year old Corsair AX1200 died this last week doing exactly that.

ok, maybe listen to this guy^^ :)
every time ive said "no dont do it" to an old power supply i get booed so went the opposite this time...

It may or may not work. You could use it for now if you need to get the system running while you wait for a new PSU to arrive. If you plan on overclocking the CPU and use a high end graphics card, I would not risk it. Though, I currently use a Corsair HX1000 that was purchased sometime during 2008 to 2009. My Corsair AX1200i died last year as well and so did the RM1000 I bought to replace it. I pulled the HX1000 out of an old Z97 system with a Pentium CPU and decided it was time to actually get a couple RMA's going. I was pleasantly surprised that Corsair upgraded the replacement for the AX1200i to an AX1600i because they no longer had the AX1200i's. So, you may get lucky on the replacement, Dan.

Back