Difference between 650 TI and 650 TI Boost?

Boost denotes that the GPU has been the ability to increase its clock to give you a boost in performance. In this case approximately 50mhz depending on the card vendor.

Boost denotes that the GPU has been the ability to increase its clock to give you a boost in performance. In this case approximately 50mhz depending on the card vendor.
no that's not the only difference at all. and the boost is WAY higher than just 50 mhz more too. heck even just the base clock is 55 mhz higher than the 650 max clock which was fixed at 925. just look at that chart if you dont understand.

Uhhh would it make more sense to get a 660 at like $15 - $20 more

Yes well I'm using an i7 860 (max TPD 95w) It's a Gateway FX tower that had a Radeon 5850. Now I think the power supply is rated around 700 watts but I'm not sure if it's starting to fail, as I had to pull out the 5850 and put in a older 8800 nvidia. Not sure if its the 5850 gone bad or the power supply becoming weaker. So my plan is to replace the power supply with a high rated 450 watt and try the 5850 again, if the cards bad i want something around the $150 - $210 dollar price range.

My resolution is 1920x1200 (16:10) There are 4 sticks of 2 gb ram, 1 hard drive, 1 optical drive.

Last edited:
Yes well I'm using an i7 860 (max TPD 95w) It's a Compaq FX tower that had a Radeon 5850. Now I think the power supply is rated around 700 watts but I'm not sure if it's starting to fail, as I had to pull out the 5850 and put in a older 8800 nvidia. Not sure if its the 5850 gone bad or the power supply becoming weaker. So my plan is to replace the power supply with a high rated 450 watt and try the 5850 again, if the cards bad i want something around the $150 - $210 dollar price range.

My resolution is 1920x1200 (16:10) There are 4 sticks of 2 gb ram, 1 hard drive, 1 optical drive.

Only a 450w psu? Ummm that's really cutting it close. If your problem is a bad PSU, getting a lower capacity one isn't going to help. Don't cheap out on the PSU. Go with a good 600/650W with the required amps. But then again if your experiment works... let us know. :)

Only a 450w psu? Ummm that's really cutting it close. If your problem is a bad PSU, getting a lower capacity one isn't going to help. Don't cheap out on the PSU. Go with a good 600/650W with the required amps. But then again if your experiment works... let us know. :)

I think it's plenty I mean 95W plus 140W for the 660 is only 235W. Double that (470W) is much more than any of the other components use. I would get at least a bronze rated, maybe silver or gold psu. I'm gonna buy a watt meter for like 25 bucks too to know more about what the computer draws..

I think it's plenty I mean 95W plus 140W for the 660 is only 235W. Double that (470W) is much more than any of the other components use. I would get at least a bronze rated, maybe silver or gold psu. I'm gonna buy a watt meter for like 25 bucks too to know more about what the computer draws..
yes 450 would be enough but for hardly any more money you could find a high quality 550 watt or so unit. you can keep a psu for many years so its nice to have room for future upgrades.

of course the psu that you have may not need replacing anyway so dont spend money on a new one until you know.

yes 450 would be enough but for hardly any more money you could find a high quality 550 watt or so unit. you can keep a psu for many years so its nice to have room for future upgrades.

of course the psu that you have may not need replacing anyway so dont spend money on a new one until you know.

Yea I see what you mean a 500 or 550 watt would allow for an extra 140 watt video card. I would do it but I'd like to know if these higher watt power supplies inherently draw more electricity? Or is it better to have power supply that covers just what you need when looking to conserve electricity. I think this has to do with the efficiency rating but I'm not sure exactly.

Yea I see what you mean a 500 or 550 watt would allow for an extra 140 watt video card. I would do it but I'd like to know if these higher watt power supplies inherently draw more electricity? Or is it better to have power supply that covers just what you need when looking to conserve electricity. I think this has to do with the efficiency rating but I'm not sure exactly.
having a psu with higher wattage will not really use any more electricity. just because it wont be loaded in the efficiency sweet spot does not mean much in reality as you are talking about something so small its inconsequential. most of the higher quality higher wattage psus have better efficiency anyway.

Back