Difference b/w picture quality of 15-16gb mkv movies And Blu ray dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam384

n00b
please tell me the difference b/w Blu ray dvd and ripped 15-16gb movie.
can i watch these movies in 55" or 46" HDTV without noticing any loss in quality as compared to their blu-ray dvds.
most of the movies have resolution 1920 *800.Is there anyway to change their resolution to 1920 *1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:
please tell me the difference b/w Blu ray dvd and downloaded 15-16gb movie.
I have downloaded dark knight, inception like movies in 15gb quality and also have so many movies around 8-12gb.
can i watch these movies in 55" or 46" HDTV without noticing any loss in quality as compared to their blu-ray dvds.
I can't afford blu-ray dvds because they're so costly here.
most of the movies have resolution 1920 *800.Is there anyway to change their resolution to 1920 *1080p.

Blu-rays are 60fps, the 15gb or so files are probably 30fps.
I rip mine at 30fps and havnt noticed a difference.
They are still 1080p quality and look great.

please tell me the difference b/w Blu ray dvd and downloaded 15-16gb movie.
Short answer: Diminishing returns in video quality, plus extra audio tracks and special features.

At >10gb, there'll be some minor loss of fine detail, and some minor blurring of already-blurry high-motion shots. Probably a little softening of the film grain, if there is any. Honestly, at that high a bitrate, there'll probably be more image degradation from generational loss than anything else, and I'd expect that to be very minor anyway.

I have downloaded dark knight, inception like movies in 15gb quality and also have so many movies around 8-12gb.
I can't afford blu-ray dvds because they're so costly here.
Obligatory: Piracy's bad, mmmkay?

Now that that's out of the way... no. You will likely not notice any difference; particularly since you don't have the original as a reference to compare against. Even if you did have a reference copy, you'd likely have to still-frame through high-complexity scenes -- or even diff the stills -- in order to notice any difference.

There's no point. All that's in the 280px which were cropped off is the black bars that were used to letterbox the film from it's native 21:9 to your TV's 16:9. Just don't try to futz with the aspect ratio and you'll be good to go.

Blu-rays are 60fps
Mostly wrong. Films run ~24fps. Most TV runs ~24fps. Only thing likely to run at 60fps is sports compilations, and they'll be limited to 720p due to the limitations of the format. Well, I suppose there's also 1080i/29.97fps as well...I suppose that's used for some some sports broadcasts.

Where do you live? because I have ran into Blu-rays as cheap as $2.50 in discount stores for years. And there's definitely a lot in the $10 range.

Short answer: Diminishing returns in video quality, plus extra audio tracks and special features.

At >10gb, there'll be some minor loss of fine detail, and some minor blurring of already-blurry high-motion shots. Probably a little softening of the film grain, if there is any. Honestly, at that high a bitrate, there'll probably be more image degradation from generational loss than anything else, and I'd expect that to be very minor anyway.

Obligatory: Piracy's bad, mmmkay?

Now that that's out of the way... no. You will likely not notice any difference; particularly since you don't have the original as a reference to compare against. Even if you did have a reference copy, you'd likely have to still-frame through high-complexity scenes -- or even diff the stills -- in order to notice any difference.

There's no point. All that's in the 280px which were cropped off is the black bars that were used to letterbox the film from it's native 21:9 to your TV's 16:9. Just don't try to futz with the aspect ratio and you'll be good to go.

Mostly wrong. Films run ~24fps. Most TV runs ~24fps. Only thing likely to run at 60fps is sports compilations, and they'll be limited to 720p due to the limitations of the format. Well, I suppose there's also 1080i/29.97fps as well...I suppose that's used for some some sports broadcasts.

Well when I rip my blu rays they come up as 60fps on my software.

Where do you live? because I have ran into Blu-rays as cheap as $2.50 in discount stores for years. And there's definitely a lot in the $10 range.

I'm from india..and here one blu-ray cost 1500-1600rs And monthly income of an average Indian person is 10000rs.

Well when I rip my blu rays they come up as 60fps on my software.

What are you using. Should be 24fps for all movies until the hobbit and I doubt they release the 48fps version.

What are you using. Should be 24fps for all movies until the hobbit and I doubt they release the 48fps version.

Aiseesoft blu-ray ripper.
I will try another one and see.

I just updated the software as it was realllllly outdated. You are correct! Guess I shouldnt use old software. hehe. Thanks!

Last edited:
depends on the movie. animated films will take the least space. films with a lot of grain will take more. i find that a CQ of 19 is virtually indistinguishable. on a 2 hour movie with DTS-core audio, its generally around 7-8 gigs for an animated movie and something like 12ish for something like Jurassic Park which is quite grainy.

Hey OP, can we all assume that you're talking about a legitimate download service and not torrenting/usenet/etc...? Because those are off-topic and not allowed here.

Hey OP, can we all assume that you're talking about a legitimate download service and not torrenting/usenet/etc...? Because those are off-topic and not allowed here.

no, its about quality of movies. for example, if i rip blu ray movies to my HDD, how much quality i should prefer without losing quality.

no, its about quality of movies. for example, if i rip blu ray movies to my HDD, how much quality i should prefer without losing quality.

It depends on a couple of things such as the original source (not all Blurays are made equal), what you are willing to sacrifice (audio or video when/if you encode) and the output device. Also If you are not sure just rip and transcode a few times to get a base line for what you want for future rips. I usually end up around 7-10gb for more static movies, while more fast paced action ones are 12-15gb. Lastly how much space you have to do it. Darn HDD prices are too high at the moment, but trying to do straight rips more and more.

It depends on a couple of things such as the original source (not all Blurays are made equal), what you are willing to sacrifice (audio or video when/if you encode) and the output device. Also If you are not sure just rip and transcode a few times to get a base line for what you want for future rips. I usually end up around 7-10gb for more static movies, while more fast paced action ones are 12-15gb. Lastly how much space you have to do it. Darn HDD prices are too high at the moment, but trying to do straight rips more and more.

you rip movies in 12-15gb then how much differnce you notice watching them in 46' OR 55'' hdtv as compared to blu ray version you have. i have movies like american pie, bourne series, forrest gump around 8-10gb and jurassic park, dark knight, inception around 15-16gb.

General
Unique ID : 249415029001435753849617299095075592557 (0xBBA39658DC5ACA10867D1A68546A996D)
Complete name : F:\Desktop\AVENGERS\The Avengers(2012) 1080p.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 16.7 GiB
Duration : 2h 22mn
Overall bit rate : 16.7 Mbps
Movie name : Ripped gy sam
Encoded date : UTC 2012-09-23 06:17:36
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.0.1 ('Es ist Sommer') built on Oct 9 2011 11:55:43
Writing library : libebml v1.2.2 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 14.5 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.291
Stream size : 14.4 GiB (87%)
Writing library : x264 core
Language : English
Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio #1
ID : 3
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.51 GiB (9%)
Language : English

is this good enough for HDTV

I echo mostly everything said on the video side. The other thing to contribute to resulting filesize is going to be the audio tracks. Most bluray's these days have an HD, lossless audio track with them (DTS-HD, DTS-MA, TrueHD, etc).

They also contain a lossy audio track like DTS and (normal)AC3 - so if you don't have high-end theatre equipment, you probably won't miss the lossless tracks.

They also contain a lossy audio track like DTS and (normal)AC3 - so if you don't have high-end theatre equipment, you probably won't miss the lossless tracks.
Even if you do, you probably won't miss the lossless tracks.

Since you're ripping these movies yourself, you should be able to not only set the resolution, but also the bitrate and therefore experiment with the quality to see if there is any perceivable difference...but you should have known that since you had to input all those settings when reencoding anyway.

Since you're ripping these movies yourself, you should be able to not only set the resolution, but also the bitrate and therefore experiment with the quality to see if there is any perceivable difference...but you should have known that since you had to input all those settings when reencoding anyway.

I have mine set to 15K bitrate.
I am glad I upgraded the software as it takes less then an hour to do 1 blu ray.
Then I can take the 12-17gb file and make it manageable on my nook and leave the file for my computer.
I need bigger HD's.................. :(

I have mine set to 15K bitrate.
I am glad I upgraded the software as it takes less then an hour to do 1 blu ray.
Then I can take the 12-17gb file and make it manageable on my nook and leave the file for my computer.
I need bigger HD's.................. :(

there is no need to use 15k for a 2pass h.264. maybe a quick encode or something. my suggestion is switch to CQ instead of bitrate and pick something like 18 or 19.

Even if you do, you probably won't miss the lossless tracks.

agreed. the DTS core is usually 1.5k which is double the typical 640k DD or 768k DTS tracks you find on DVDs.

my dad has a higher end system (marantz av7005, Rotel RB 985,martin logan speakers and sub) and DTS-core is fine.

only reason to keep it is for true 7.1

The thing is though at a certain point it becomes subjective and you have to judge yourself. Not everyone's eyes and ears are equal. If you have the space I'd do straight rips otherwise like what I said above seems to work pretty well.

there is no need to use 15k for a 2pass h.264. maybe a quick encode or something. my suggestion is switch to CQ instead of bitrate and pick something like 18 or 19.

The software program I use only uses bitrate.
12000,15000, and 18000 kbps.

The software program I use only uses bitrate.
12000,15000, and 18000 kbps.

ah ok. well CQ, constant quality does one pass to analyze the data and then does a second pass at a variable bitrate thats optimized for each scene. you just put in a numeric value saying this is the quality i want to maintain. so an animated film might take up 6000kbps and a grainy film might take up 12,000kbps but have the same picture quality.

i have Zombieland 9gb And exrocist 14gb and their bitrate is 13.2mbps almost 15000kbps. Are they good enough for playing on 55''HDTV without noticing any loss in quality.

i have Zombieland 9gb And exrocist 14gb and their bitrate is 13.2mbps almost 15000kbps. Are they good enough for playing on 55''HDTV without noticing any loss in quality.

why dont you just compare it to the blu ray copy that you ripped it from?

Depends on how big the source file is, and on you as a person. 14GBs is bigger than some source blu-rays I have (Terminator 3, The Matrix, Chernobyl Diaries, The Hangover, and some others) , Some people value HDD space over visual quality, or vice versa. Personally I am a Video quality lover, so I do no conversion and choose to buy larger hard drives. Some of my Blu-ray rips are over 35GBs (Lord of the Rings Extended Edition range from 52-61GBs, Hunger Games is 40GBs, Avatar is 38GBs, etc.) I have 5TBs of space for blu-rays (plus 5TBs more as a backup), and can only fit 180 movies though, it just so happens that I really only like less movies than that, but I plan to upgrade to bigger HDDs when I bump into the limit. It's really a personal choice, you just have to go through the process of comparing them yourself and weigh that against your budget concerns.

why dont you just compare it to the blu ray copy that you ripped it from?

Why don't you understand there are so many movies are not available here specially uncensored versions. therfore i have to download them from internet and its not crime until i start selling them. our country have so many big probelms than charging 1000s of guys like me who download movies.

OP I gave you a chance. It is a crime to download unauthorized copies of copyrighted material (at least in the United States where this forum is based) and doing so cannot be discussed here.

From our rules:

(15) Observe all COPYRIGHT LAWS, TOS's and NDA's when posting copyrighted material. If the material belongs to someone else, credit the original author. Do not post messages that violate Federal, State, or Local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or is bound by NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back