Differance between... Linksys/Cisco managable switches

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by StratocasterMaster, May 26, 2005.

1. StratocasterMaster

StratocasterMaster [H]ardness Supreme

I'm looking at some switches and the cost differance is huge, obviously. However feature wise they seem very similar. I'm curious what exactly is differant between Ciscos managable switches and Linksys units since they are under the Cisco umbrella now.

The Linksys I'm looking at in particular is the SR2024 24port 10/100/1000base-t managable switch with two Mini-GBIC ports.

I'm thinking the 2900series is very close to this but the firmwares and management control may be very differant... thats what I'm curious about. It almost seems as if the Linksys is all Cisco components and is just rebadged and sold at a MUCH more affordable price.

~Kris

2. StratocasterMaster

3. Fint

Fint [H]ard|Gawd

Just taking a guess here, but I imagine the Cisco unit is more "enterprise" ready than the Linksys unit. Things like SNMP, Tacacs+, VLAN support, large packet buffers, etc are more likely (better or at all) supported in the Cisco switch than the Linksys one.

4. Nasty_Savage

Nasty_Savage [H]ardForum Junkie

Probably other things like spanning tree too would not be available on the Linksys, just a guess though. In general, if its just a small deal, I would go with the linksys or even a 3com switch which aren't totally horrible...

5. da sponge

da sponge [H]ard|Gawd

6. StratocasterMaster

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/SRW2024_DS.pdf

That is the PDF Linksys offers about the SRW2024. Cisco has so many differant types of managable switches its hard for me to tell which is similar to this ones design. I am thinking that this may be a bit more differant than I thought. I was hoping it was going to be a situation like many IT companies have done in the past where the hardware is just as good but the firmware is differant to limit its abilities.

The 3650 or possibly the 4500 series seem similar but still much differant. The Linkysys seems to be the only one that uses the Mini-GBIC ports. The 2950 series uses full size GBIC ports and so does the 3650/4500 if they are equiped at all.

The Linksys does have VLAN capabilities as well as much more but it seems as though there is much it DOESNT have. :(

~Kris

7. QwertyJuan

QwertyJuan [H]ardForum Junkie

If this is for a small business get the cheaper one...

I personally use TrendNet's TEG-S224, unmanaged here(4 of them) and they work great, and only cost $105.00 a peice. At that price you could have 2 extra on hand just in case something broke down.

QJ

8. Nasty_Savage

Nasty_Savage [H]ardForum Junkie

Well, I will say one thing...I cannot stand that auto MDI/MDI-x crossover detection thing on 3com switches gave me serious headaches in a Cisco environment. I prefer dedicated uplink ports for mini switches, but I'm guessing its prolly a 3com or wiring issue...

9. StratocasterMaster

Yea I'm not a fan of the auto-detect ports either... the Linksys has them and the other tech here likes them but I've had issues in the past myself. lol

Looks like the Linksys is the winner anyways, while it may not have EVERYTHING the Cisco does it is 1/10th the cost and the features it does offer are what we need so we will be adequate

We ordered 2 switches, mini-GBIC fiber ports for each, 6 media converters and a rackmount unit for them so that we can extend the fiber currently here and start moving to gbit on the lower levels.

~Kris

10. Blitzrommel

Blitzrommel 2[H]4U

Yeah the Linksys solution is, IMO, much more cost-effective. :)

11. FunkStar

FunkStar Gawd

I'm a cisco fan but unless your not paying for it, buy the linksys cause it'll be cheaper as Cisco gear is more attuned towards business' that can write off the cost.

As for differences, its as stated above. The Cisco will most likely be more configurable with more protocols and more features but i doubt you'd need them unless your setting up a complicated network which uses VPNs or somethin. In that case, you'd need a router or a brouter anyway so i dont think you'll be needing the extras available on thar cisco so i wouldnt worry :)

That said, if you aint paying for it, i can make up a BS list for whoever is as to why they should get you the Cisco (for the sake of it)