Dif between 939 and 754?

McDeth

Limp Gawd
What exactly is the difference between the Socket 754 and 939 Athlon 64's? Does one type offer a significant speed advantage over the other? I'm only beginning to think about upgrading my old XP 2500+ Barton and want to know what to get before I go out and buy.

939 has dual channel and the newest 939 chipsets have PCI-E. Those are its advantages over 754, along with having support for the FX series and winchester cores

754 is generally more of a budget/mainstream interface, and it will be phased out slowly. For upgradeability, stick with 939.

Mainly socket 939 is way more future proof. It would be dumb to go with Socket 754 now.

S939 has dual channel (as stated earlier). And 90nm A64's which tend to oc higher.

I would not say future proof though for the pci-e chipsets are still pretty new and ifyou buy an agp board you're gonna have to buy a new mobo next time you upgrade anyway.

S754 is still a viable option but it depends how often you upgrade. For sheer overclockablility i see no reason to buy an s754 setup if you overclock.

Ok, then I'll rephrase that the newest A64 chipsets support PCI-E.

I wondered why they went from Neo2 to Neo4...

Man that board has a nice layout.

yeah, note that it uses 6 mounting holes instead of 9... it's real narrow.
and i don't like that they moved the ram back to where it normally is. having it horizontal above the cpu is really nice on my neo.
and the main atx plug is in a terrible spot :(

but yeah.. one other difference between 939 and 754..
939 tends to be a bit more expensive for the performance. not much, but the difference there, especially with the cpu's. (most notably so with the winchester ;))

I really don't like that board. The narrow design looks weird. The Neo2 has the ram above the heatsink which is nice, BUT is a problem with some heatsinks.

Socket 754 supports processors with 754 pins and Socket 939 supports processors with 939 pins.

The Doc said:
Socket 754 supports processors with 754 pins and Socket 939 supports processors with 939 pins.
:p Is your first name Captain?
ehehe, but the defining points for 939/754:

939 = hardcore dual channel
754 = hardcore "budget" single channel

The Doc said:
bwahahaha, qft! i like that statement doc :D

Anand posted a good article recently on what the different chips (754 vs 939) and different cache sizes impact is on real world apps.

754 = budget
939 = top of the line, more upgradability

a good 754 setup is almost as fast as a similar 939, will be cheaper, but will be harder to upgrade in the future

Back