Die hard Windows 7 user need to solve issues

carlmart

Gawd
Even if Windows 7 has no more support from MS, let's hope I can still get help here.

Today I realized, after many years coming here to [H]ardForum with different questions and getting help, that there's no Software section to ask questions at. Is there a companion oftForum somewhere to go to?

In the meantime let's try to see if I can get some help to two problems I have had, with different SSD.

1) Problem 1. On one of mi W7 installations, the program opens fine, but after less than a minute it turns the PC off. Can't seem to find the reason for it, as there's no alarm or warning saying what's happening and why it turns off.
As I have another User enabled on same Windows, I have been using it for now, to see if I can find out what the problem on the Administrator user is. Any ideas on how should I proceed?

2) Problem 2. It happened today with another SSD that I have been using since I had that problem mentioned above. There's a program I have been using for a long with all HDDs and SSDs, which is called Spybot S&D, free version. The version I was using was 6, but today, after a check run I went to Spybot's site to download version 7. Downloaded, installed it and run it. The problem is it deleted a lot of things and disabled others in the program. It didn't make a restore point to go back to and/or deleted the existing ones. I think the matter is hopeless.

So the problem is I now have two problems that might force me to a new fresh install. Before anyone asks, I need to keep using Windows 7 64 because there are some programs, video subtitle editing programs and others, that do not run well in Windows 10. I know that because I have Windows 10 on my laptop, so I did try to make things work and couldn't.

If there's some section I should take this question to please to tell me and I will go there.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
when XP dropped support you could still get new updates with registry tweak. as MS was still making new updates for enterprise users. MS is still rolling win 7 updates for enterprise users. i'm sure in 6 months there will be am od or tweak to be able to get those updates too.

Gotta ask, why must you remain on Win 7? [no judgment, just curious]

Because there are several programs I use, particularly those for subtitle editing in video, that do not work properly in Windows 10.

As I also run my laptop with Windows 10, this is not an invention of my mind, and newer versions of the program are much worst to work with.

My last hope for the "Spybotted" SSD vanished this morning.

I considered reinstalling Windows 7 over the old install, keeping everything as it was.

But to do that you have to start from the Windows you will change.

The mess Spybot did is so large, that it doesn't recognize the Windows file on the DVD, and you can't use safemode. So no reinstall.

My deception was doubled, as I tried this same recipe with the taskeng.exe shutdown SSD install.

This time I could run the installation disc alright from the SSD, and it re-installed alright too, but the shutdown problem is still there. It seems that something else is causing it, not something from Windows.

Nothing from the web has helped with this problem.

Have you checked the basics like your temps prior to the shutdown or run memtest? It's possible the app you are having trouble with just puts the PC under more load than your other programs.

You can also check event viewer for shutdown \ unexpected shutdown events to see if any suspicious events occur around the same time.

Yes, the basics had already been checked on my desktop back when the taskeng shutdown problem had happened.

Please pay due attention to what I said about that SSD. There are two users on that Windows install, one with administrator rights and one without.

The one with is the the one with the taskeng issue, the other user runs fine. So it's clear that it can't be hardware related, isn't it?

Back then when the problem first happened, several months ago, I did research all the possible solutions I could find on the web, with no luck. None solved the problem.

At the time I found it better to take another SSD I had, and experiment with a different approach to Windows, installing the basic programs and things on a small SSD, which I could backup easily in case any problem came along. Unfortunately I forgot my plan and didn't do the backup. Perhaps I should now.

What puzzles me is why a new install over that Windows didn't solve the taskeng problem. What causes it? Why does it take over command so easily and why is it so difficult, or impossible, to solve it?

I can only access event viewer from the second user side, and nothing shows there. But would it? I'm not too familiar on how different users on the same SSD interrelate.

If anyone can tell me what tests I should do to look for answers, please go ahead.

1) Problem 1. On one of mi W7 installations, the program opens fine, but after less than a minute it turns the PC off. Can't seem to find the reason for it, as there's no alarm or warning saying what's happening and why it turns off.

I don't think applications have access to be able to shut down your computer. It sounds like you either don't have blue screen display turned on and its blue screening, or its overheating and shutting down. Could also be a power supply issue with the software causing the power supply to overload. Those are the first things I'd check.

2) Problem 2. It happened today with another SSD that I have been using since I had that problem mentioned above. There's a program I have been using for a long with all HDDs and SSDs, which is called Spybot S&D, free version. The version I was using was 6, but today, after a check run I went to Spybot's site to download version 7. Downloaded, installed it and run it. The problem is it deleted a lot of things and disabled others in the program. It didn't make a restore point to go back to and/or deleted the existing ones. I think the matter is hopeless.

Without a backup, there's no real way to get anything back. Thats strange that spybot removed things it wasn't, it will quarantine items it things are spyware and then you manually have to delete the files from quarantine.

I don't think applications have access to be able to shut down your computer. It sounds like you either don't have blue screen display turned on and its blue screening, or its overheating and shutting down. Could also be a power supply issue with the software causing the power supply to overload. Those are the first things I'd check.

Then you should check what people tell in the web about the "taskeng shutdown". No overheating or power supply issues.

Didn't you read what I told above about the other user on that same SSD working perfectly fine?

Without a backup, there's no real way to get anything back. Thats strange that spybot removed things it wasn't, it will quarantine items it things are spyware and then you manually have to delete the files from quarantine.

If by that you mean I shouldn't have trusted Spybot and delete all the files it put in quarantine, you're completely right on that. The problem is trusted a program I shouldn't have trusted.

But it did do the things I said and many more I didn't.

Didn't you read what I told above about the other user on that same SSD working perfectly fine?

I read every word but what you are saying makes absolutely no sense. Ive seen programs cause blue screens and users don’t have the setting to show the blue screen for x amount of time turned on. I’ve see programs put an artificial load on a cpu causing it to throttle and reboot. I saw that very same thing with sql developer when a user had instance viewer open. Ive never heard of what you mentioned in the 14 years I’ve worked in IT and since you want to just throw attitude at people trying to help, I wish you the best of luck finding a solution.

Then you should check what people tell in the web about the "taskeng shutdown". No overheating or power supply issues.

If by that you mean I shouldn't have trusted Spybot and delete all the files it put in quarantine, you're completely right on that. The problem is trusted a program I shouldn't have trusted.

But it did do the things I said and many more I didn't.
You should not use your PC with the administrator account in the first place. If the other account works, just use that. Also, did you check that the Spybot S&D that you downloaded was authentic? It sounds more like malware. You're going to find out that dying will not be so hard in the future with Win7.

You should not use your PC with the administrator account in the first place. If the other account works, just use that. Also, did you check that the Spybot S&D that you downloaded was authentic? It sounds more like malware. You're going to find out that dying will not be so hard in the future with Win7.

I must acknowledge that my knowledge of Windows 7 is more intuitive and logical than anything else. So when I install it I do not pick the administrator account for me, I let it do what's the usual installing.

The Spybot I downloaded was from their official site, that is something I usually check. But don't worry, I will go back to even older versions of it, that never went wrong in the past.

I read every word but what you are saying makes absolutely no sense. Ive seen programs cause blue screens and users don’t have the setting to show the blue screen for x amount of time turned on. I’ve see programs put an artificial load on a cpu causing it to throttle and reboot. I saw that very same thing with sql developer when a user had instance viewer open. Ive never heard of what you mentioned in the 14 years I’ve worked in IT and since you want to just throw attitude at people trying to help, I wish you the best of luck finding a solution.

It's not attitude, as for that you have to know things, which I have a limited one. It's just logic that I try to use to understand things. Maybe our logics are different.

I don't have the least idea on how to set blue screens. What I'm telling is what I see here, and after this news install over it things got even worst, as when I choose the main user it simply switches off power.

If you know what I might do please let know, because I don't. For me it seems hopeless, and that it can only be solved with a new fresh install.

You claim that "I’ve see programs put an artificial load on a cpu causing it to throttle and reboot. I saw that very same thing with sql developer when a user had instance viewer open." So what can be done about that or what should I check or try?

If necessary I will reinstall the program, but I would like to know if there's anything I can do before doing that. And how should I proceed for an install that will avoid these problems I'm having in the future.

I come here for knowledge and experience, but most of all understanding.

Remember that also CCleaner was hacked recently and the code was infected with malware. Downloading the software from the original site is no proof of anything unfortunately. Of course it's entirely possible that the software just no longer supports Windows7.

Forgive me if this is not allowed or against the rules, but if you're looking for 'support' from peers, have you considered one of the *exchange sites? Maybe superuser or serverfault?

I suggest making an OS backup each month from now on.
Its a world less hassle and way faster to get running again after a goof.
And if its still screwed you know its a hardware or bios config problem.

Have to say I agree with the others, it looks like hardware failure.
You dismissed this outright and then said you know very little.

Last edited:
What is a superuser or serverfault site?
The stack exchange sites for desktop support questions & server support questions. I didn't post the URLs for them because I'm pretty sure that would be against the rules. Anyways stack exchange has a huge and active community and would provide you with a solution in no time. Just trying to help guide you to a correct answer to your problem, as that is what the *exchange sites are designed for.

The stack exchange sites for desktop support questions & server support questions. I didn't post the URLs for them because I'm pretty sure that would be against the rules. Anyways stack exchange has a huge and active community and would provide you with a solution in no time. Just trying to help guide you to a correct answer to your problem, as that is what the *exchange sites are designed for.

Have you considered sending the links to the OP in a PM? Just a thought.

Can you send me an MP with some of those URLs?

Yes, that should be a good precaution. I am just finishing a new install on a small 250Gb SSD which I should backup, and eventually use that.

That SSD should have the usual programs I install.

Just a heads up, a lot of software, like browsers, will eventually not be supported anymore, and stop updating as well.

Yes, I will eventually be forced to move everything to Windows 10.

I am on the way there, as I already installed W10 on an SSD for my desktop too. As I said, I already use W10 on may laptop, so I'm slowly finding the solutions to my first problems with it.

In any case, that precaution to have my OS and main programs on what I call an install SSD, smaller in size, should prevent most problems I might eventually have. Fortunately, those problems happened in W7, never in W10.

Back