Did you order a drive from Newegg? Was it DOA? I want to hear about it!

syukton

Weaksauce
I ordered a pair of 250GB Maxline III drives from Newegg which were packed incorrectly (in packing peanuts) and arrived DOA. I'm curious how many other people out there have ordered drives from Newegg which were packaged incorrectly (against manufacturer specified instructions) and arrived DOA. I would like to know the make and model of drive, when you ordered it and any experiences (positive or negative) you had during the RMA process.

I received an RMA number for the drives very quickly and I sent the drives back but now I'm being told that, actually, they need to be sent to Maxtor. I'm out more than $200, I have no drives, and I'm being given the run-around. :mad:

The RMA process is aggravating, but is somewhat peripheral to the matter at hand: I'm trying to establish a history of Newegg's practices of negligently shipping shock-sensitive hardware.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

Newegg has horrible shipping methods for drives. I've never had one show up dead from them, but they really do need to start following manufacturer specs on shipping.

I ordered one of my raptors from Mwave it was wrapped in bubble wrapp and hen placed in popcorn packaged well imo. Maybe the raptors are more precious. :D :)

Well, about your rma time dont worry its newegg. They are usually quick to a replacement.

defakto said:
Newegg has horrible shipping methods for drives. I've never had one show up dead from them, but they really do need to start following manufacturer specs on shipping.

When have you ordered drives from them? more than once? were they always packaged incorrectly?

I had a Raptor for a customer that came DOA from Newegg, because he insisted that he order everything from one dealer. Needless to say, I was not pleased. That was the last drive that I ordered from Newegg. Peace of mind from ZZF is worth a few bucks extra. Subsequent customer builds have been more flexible on buying from multiple dealers :)

To the OP, if you RMA to Maxtor, you should be able to get an Advance RMA that will get you back in action within 72 hours (usually around 48)

My position on buying hard drives from Newegg is very clear. Actually, it's not my position, the makers themselves state it pretty clearly. Packing peanuts and bubble wrap do not protect hard drives adequately from shock during shipping. There's a reason all of the HDD makers use foam (Hitachi) or molded plastic inserts (Maxtor, Seagate, WD) for their hard drive packaging. I think I will write another article for ANSWERS on packing hard drives safely for travel.

I've ordered a Seagate 80GB and a Samsung 160GB SATA from Newegg. Both came in bubble wrap, though neither was DOA.

mine all come in bubble wrap from them.. i ordered.. hmm.. 5 hard drives from them in the last year and a half.. and 3 optical... none have had any problems..

syukton said:
When have you ordered drives from them? more than once? were they always packaged incorrectly?

Over the past 5 years I've ordered roughly 10-15 drives from newegg for myself and for family. Incorrect packaging is considered anything with bubble wrap that can cause the drive to shift during shipping. I've never had a newegg drive come not in bubble wrap and peanuts. Which is explicitly mentioned on the webpages for harddrive manufacturers as a very, incorrect way to ship drives.

I've never bought OEM drives from newegg, but the retail ones I did buy from them, came in the original packaging and peanuts surrounding it in a much larger box.

I've never ordered a drive from Newegg, and until they change their shipping methods, I never will.

While a lot of them will probably still be fine upon delivery, is it really worth it to take the chance? I'll stick with HyperMicro, thanks.

And syukton, like Doug said, you can get advanced replacements for drives from Maxtor on their website. Just give them a credit card number, and they will ship replacements with proper packaging, which you can then use to ship yoru bad drives back. Its a pretty good system. :)

Sure is nice that Newegg wants you to deal with Maxtor directly so they don't have to accept any responsibility or pay any return shipping.

"Newegg...Both my Maxtor Maxline III 250GB drives are DOA! Anyone else??
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=957977
18 replys

Originally Posted by Seagate:
RMA procedure
- Enclose each drive in a SeaShell container or an ESD (electrostatic discharge) bag. If packaging more than one drive, use a separate container for each drive.

- Enclose the static-protected drive in 2-inch thick foam rubber in a corrugated box. Multiple drives in a single box must have foam rubber between each drive. DO NOT USE foam packing pellets, bubble wrap, or newspaper.

- Warranty is void if the SeaShield cover or top cover, or any seal or label is removed or damaged, if it is improperly packaged, or if the drive experiences shock in excess of its Gs rating.

Astral Abyss said:
Sure is nice that Newegg wants you to deal with Maxtor directly so they don't have to accept any responsibility or pay any return shipping.
Especially when excess warranty claims drive up hard drive prices for everyone :mad:

i recently got two 300 gig hdd's from the egg.....

they used to pack them in foam, or some thing that holds it in place in the box...

the last few drives have been wrapped in bubble wrap and tossed in the peanuts.....didnt think it was very safe that way, but theyve worked for me no problem., but after hearing this...im really leery of ordering HDD's from the egg now.....

only time i had a bad exp from the egg, was two athlon 1.33ghz's they both fried minutes after being put into a shuttle system, and the ICE stated it was suitable for athlons, durons, XP/MP etc.....a quick RMA from the egg, had 2 new ones back in a week...needless to say i didnt put em in the shuttle. 1 is in moms pc, the other is in my server

Out of the 6 oem drives I've ordered from them recently, 2 have died premature deaths (within 3-4 months). That has prompted me to go elsewhere for hdd's also... Never had a problem with any other component from the egg.

kind of off topic..but do the drives from ZZF not come with anything? mine was just the, i'm guessing, standard foam box and ESD bag..i figured they'd send a cable..or..i don't know...a little more... :confused:

Ordered all three of my drives ZZF, all three in perfect working order. Thank you zzf.

gwai lo said:
kind of off topic..but do the drives from ZZF not come with anything? mine was just the, i'm guessing, standard foam box and ESD bag..i figured they'd send a cable..or..i don't know...a little more... :confused:
That's all you get when you order the OEM drive. It's just the bare drive in an antistatic bag, and whatever packaging protection the store felt like using.

I ordered my DiamondMax 10 from Newegg, syukton. All it came in was bubble wrap and tossed in a box of foam peanuts. :(

I know this is a hard drive discussion, but...

I bought a refurb Plextor 712SA from Newegg that had some problems. Wouldnt read certain discs, including a lot of audio discs and the second Doom3 disc. I contacted Plextor, and got a replacement. Easy enough :)

BTW, it came with everything, cables, manual, free media, and original box.

I've never had a DOA drive from Newegg, but their packing method for them is subpar. The final drive I ordered from them before swearing never to buy a HD from them again was wraped in one layer of bubble wrap, at the BOTTOM of a big box with only about 2" or so of peanuts underneath it, and every other component was packed on top of it. I'll still buy anything BUT hard drives from Newegg nowadays.

clarkkent333 said:
Can someone post a pic of this much vaunted shipping method ZZF uses?

I don't have a pic, but the drives I've ordered from ZZF were in anti-static bags, inside of the Seagate plastic clam-shell boxes, with several layers of bubble wrap around it and put inside a smaller box that was then packed inside the big box all the other components came in, packed away from the rest of the stuff with at least 6" of peanuts around it. I was very impressed and will only buy OEM drives from ZZF from now on.

tdg said:
I've never had a DOA drive from Newegg, but their packing method for them is subpar. The final drive I ordered from them before swearing never to buy a HD from them again was wraped in one layer of bubble wrap, at the BOTTOM of a big box with only about 2" or so of peanuts underneath it, and every other component was packed on top of it. I'll still buy anything BUT hard drives from Newegg nowadays.

I don't have a pic, but the drives I've ordered from ZZF were in anti-static bags, inside of the Seagate plastic clam-shell boxes, with several layers of bubble wrap around it and put inside a smaller box that was then packed inside the big box all the other components came in, packed away from the rest of the stuff with at least 6" of peanuts around it. I was very impressed and will only buy OEM drives from ZZF from now on.

Hypermicrosystems also has superb shipping methods as well. They tend to have more scsi stuff too, if that is what you are looking for. There and ZZF are the only places that I will buy a drive from online...

i am sure that it is cheaper for newegg to pay for the few drives that get messed up.. then spend the extra money to package them to manufacture specs..

also... i ordered a laptop drive from directron.. it was in a bubblewrap envelope.. then in a more bubble wrap, then in a box of peanuts,, and then that was in the bigger box of peanuts with the rest of my stuff.. not manufacture specs.. but i thought it was quite a bit of padding..

also.. from working in a shipping dept before.. they probably let the employees decide their own methods.. they have reels of bubble wrap and big bags of peanuts.. they turnover rate at that job might be high too, therefore they just give them guidelines and then if shit keeps getting broken and it is traced back to the saame guy packing it.. then the do something.. that's my guess

4 Western Digital drives from NewEgg = Good
4 Maxtor drives directly from Maxtor = All Bad

Only drives I got from Egg were my 2 36gb Raptors. I ordered from them around the time they first came out, which was what, 2 or 3 years ago now? I ordered them separately (about 1 month apart, ordered the 2nd one after I quickly filled the first) and both of them came in the bubble wrap. Both of them are working to this day, though I have had some instability issues only with certain programs, which I *might* suspect is due to one/both of the drives:( ........

img01532so.jpg

i can't resize... :shrug:

Yeah, I got my 200gig Maxtor in that kind of wrapping, in a box, packed tightly with a bunch of other boxes, all in a bigger box with bubblewrap. Drive works fine.

Back