Did you have the original Moto RAZR, and did you hate it?

Did you have/like a Moto RAZR?

• I had one and it was good.

Votes: 45 59.2%
  • I had one and it sucked.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • I never had one.

Votes: 16 21.1%

• Total voters

kevineugenius

[H]ard|Gawd
Due to good marketing, everyone and their dog seemed to have a RAZR back in the day... however, everyone I know including myself hated it. It was a pile of junk imo. So now Moto is bringing back the RAZR name... I think it's a horrible move, but maybe everyone I don't know was happy with their RAZR?

I actually loved my razr for its time. It was thin and had that professional look. Definitely a flip phone marvel for its time.

1) I liked my Razr.
2) Why is this a bad move? Because it has the same name? It's a completely different phone. The Razr was one of the best selling phones of it's time, has name recognition and that makes it a good business decision.

That's what I'm trying to discover here. I hated it, therefore I think it's a bad move to re-use the name. If the entire population other than me loved it, then I gain a better understanding of why they resurrect the brand.

Ah well I can guarantee that out of the millions of razr owners you aren't the only one that hated it. You're going to get mixed results.

The Razr wouldn't have sold like it did if people hated it. There were plenty of other phones available at the time, including numerous models from Motorolla. I'm sure there were plenty of people who had one and didn't care for it as well, but the fact that model after model sold so well for several years really should say it all.

I thought the Razr was a great phone in it's time.

Had one and liked it.

Why is this in Mobile Computing and not Mobile Phones?

I had 2 RAZRs. The second one I had, the V3xx I liked, but the camera fogged up within a month or two of getting it, the rubber pieces fell off, etc...but that phone always worked, even for almost 2 years after I replaced it with a Blackberry Bold and gave it to my mother in law.

I had a total of 4 RAZRs.

First one last for almost a year before the screen on it died. The first insurance phone's screen died within the first thirty days of having it. The 2nd, free, insurance phone's sound and screen died within the first 30 days. The third, free, insurance phone's sound died within the first thirty days.

I then upgraded to a Casio Gz'One. It was a great phone, only problem I had with it was the battery latch broke in the first 30 days I had it, but I didn't bother to send it in to get a new phone to replace it.

I held the battery in place in the phone with rubber cement. I used this phone for well over a year.

My wife, I, and my sister-in-law all picked up the RAZR within a week of each other.

They all lasted about 3 months before they started having problems - locking up, screen dying, having to reboot often to be able to call out/receive calls.

Biggest piece of trash phone I have ever had to deal with.

Had two, the original rocked, solid phone for two years, picked up the V3i (the one with mp3 support and had the sd slot) that one sucked so I turned it back in for a sony ericsson 810i which is my favorite all time phone

I liked mine but hated the white screen that you got when the data cable broke, common problem with motorola flip phones at the time due to the way they made and routed the cable that went to the display......

Last edited:
This phone scared me away from Motorola. Worst pile of crap I ever had. During the year, it was 5 times RMAd - speaker was constantly breaking down, system was freezing, NEver again I'm touching anything from that company

The Razr wouldn't have sold like it did if people hated it. There were plenty of other phones available at the time, including numerous models from Motorolla. I'm sure there were plenty of people who had one and didn't care for it as well, but the fact that model after model sold so well for several years really should say it all.

I thought the Razr was a great phone in it's time.

The general public doesn't buy products because they are good products, they buy because of advertising, status symbols, sex appeal, etc. Geeks don't buy things that way, but Joe Schmo and his wife saw the hundreds of commercials with those cool buttons, which were new and novelty at the time, and bought one because it was the best looking phone they'd seen. Then you gotta get a pink one for your daughter, etc.

The general public doesn't buy products because they are good products, they buy because of advertising, status symbols, sex appeal, etc. Geeks don't buy things that way, but Joe Schmo and his wife saw the hundreds of commercials with those cool buttons, which were new and novelty at the time, and bought one because it was the best looking phone they'd seen. Then you gotta get a pink one for your daughter, etc.

1) these were cheap
2) they were stylish
3) they were reliable (most models)
4) competition at the time SUCKED.

Moto had their first phone at the time that they actually put effort in, at the time most companies were putting out smaller crappier phones and making them cost way too much. These phones gave the populace everything.

I used my original RAZR up until 2010 (infrequently I must add) when the battery life was getting quite bad and it was really outdated. I liked it when I had it though. Obviously nowhere near as good as the Blackberry that replaced it or the iPhone that replaced the Blackberry. Can't believe I ever managed without mobile internet/apps/facebook.

Had one and loved it. Held up for me well until I accidentally dropped it on the kitchen floor one day. That thin little bastard broke pretty quickly.

I loathed my RAZR from the first day I brought it home and it froze on me. It was the most user unfriendly phone I've ever had and I was almost happy when the top half stopped working so I could replace it!

I rocked a V3 for almost two years before my work forced me to upgrade to WinMo (paid for by the company). After that, a buddy of mine used it for almost two years. Solid phone!

I had it, was really sexy and worked well. It came apart every time you dropped it, battery cover popped off anyways, but you know what, it went back together and was solid.

My wife, I, and my sister-in-law all picked up the RAZR within a week of each other.

They all lasted about 3 months before they started having problems - locking up, screen dying, having to reboot often to be able to call out/receive calls.

Biggest piece of trash phone I have ever had to deal with.

Mine has lasted for over 5 or so years now.

i liked it for the following reasons

very few phones of that era had just a regular USB port for charging
cheap
looked cool
was used to the motorola interface

I actually loved my razr for its time. It was thin and had that professional look. Definitely a flip phone marvel for its time.
I liked mine too. It was my first cell phone. My second is the current 3GS.

The original RAZR started off as a very expensive luxury flip phone, so everyone wanted to have it. They kept making it more and more affordable until everyone did. That was a nice strategy, but it was probably more accidental than anything.

Last edited:
I picked up a black one for myself and a pink one for my wife back when they came out. We still have them in the box in our closet. It was a great phone, never had any problems with either of them.

Never had one personally though my gf at the time had a pink Razr, I skipped the whole cellphone craze till fall 2006 when I bought a cheap dot matrix pre-paid phone and used that till 2007, from there I ended up with a samsung convertible which I thought was the greatest thing in the world since it had mp3 capability, full qwerty keyboard and basic internet ability. I used it from june 2007 all the way till oct 2010 when I got my droidX

This thread makes me feel like an old asshole because I have yet to own a smartphone/fancyphone. :(

I had the RAZR v3, and I generally liked it, but I favored the SLVR L7 over it. That thing was like a dense piece of Uranium...indestructible. The RAZR never broke, but it generally felt very flimsy. It's a good move for Motorola to bring back something so popular, and it's totally unrelated to the first RAZR.

I had 3 of these back to back. Loved them. My parents still use one today.

The original razr's were fine..greatly actually. Once they jumped the shark on more features for less cost that their quality started suffering.

I had 3 of these back to back. Loved them. My parents still use one today.

I'd probably still be using mine today if it weren't for the battery problems all mine developed late in life. I had three of them myself. One issued to me by my old job, and then I owned two personally.

I'd probably still be using mine today if it weren't for the battery problems all mine developed late in life. I had three of them myself. One issued to me by my old job, and then I owned two personally.

mine fell into the ocean, or I would of got rid of mine in 2009.

Back