Did you get a 4090?

Did you get a 4090?

• Total voters
I don’t understand why we can’t just preorder this stuff. Apple has reliably let me preorder stuff on launch, without issue, and reliably receive a delivery date estimate that usually turns out to be accurate. In 2022 nobody should be required to constantly refresh pages in hopes of being able to order something. You should be able to add it to your cart, purchase it, and have your order go into a queue.
This is because they want to create hype. If you are able to preorder from day 1; you may change your mind, read reviews, think about the cost, etc. Its too logical to be able to just buy something. They want you to have as little choice as possible with the feeling of FOMO.

Well at least it doesn't look like it's going to be a repeat of the 3000 launch with POS scalpers snatching them all up in a matter of minutes. I figured they'd sell out pretty quick since they're like 50% faster than 3090's and that's kinda what it looks like is happening. I don't mind them selling out quick so long as it's gamers guying them and not POS scalpers or miners.

Problem solved. Stuff is on the way. I blame you, Nvidia.

If that can't handle a 4090, nothing will.

1665630127459.png

Curious how these big cards are sitting ok in motherboards and cases?

Do you need a stand or something to prop it up?

And can these be set on the side to show them off in the case, or are they too big and will hit the CPU fan?

Can you mount the RTX-4090 vertically?

And can these be set on the side to show them off in the case, or are they too big and will hit the CPU fan?

The ASUS TUF I got came with this screwdriver/"Pillar of Support" combo device which is supposed to help prevent sag. It doesn't actually reach far enough down to the floor of my case though. I am tempted to get something else to mount underneath this thing with how chunky it is.

How are the acoustics on ASUS TUF. Couldn’t find the db number in any reviews.
It's pretty good. I don't have the best room for testing sound and I'm using my phones db monitor, but here's what I got. Baseline in this room is around 43 db.
For the test I turned every other fan I could control off or on as low as possible to isolate the gpu fans. Hard to notice anything up to 50 and even 60 percent speed.

Fan Speed%db 1' from casedb 3' from case
10057/5852/53
9055/5649/50
8054/5548/49
7052/5346/47
6051/5245/46
5050/5144/45
4049/5043/44
049/5043/44

There are plenty of solutions on Amazon for cheap. I have one of these on my 3090FE right now. I see no logical reason why I couldn't transfer that to a new card when I buy one.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those of you with ASUS and FE cards, how is the coil whine? Those cards were notable for having moderate to atrocious amounts of coil whine with the 3000 series, including the ones I personally heard.

My EVGA 3080 and 3090 cards had little to no coil whine at all. My current 3090 HC has absolutely none which is a blessing for a watercooled card. But unfortunately, EVGA is no more so have to look elsewhere.

And before people chime in with the “its normal” post, I know. But I try to go with brands that use components less likely to have it as coil whine drives me nuts if its too loud.

Those of you with ASUS and FE cards, how is the coil whine? Those cards were notable for having moderate to atrocious amounts of coil whine with the 3000 series, including the ones I personally heard.

My EVGA 3080 and 3090 cards had little to no coil whine at all. My current 3090 HC has absolutely none which is a blessing for a watercooled card. But unfortunately, EVGA is no more so have to look elsewhere.

And before people chime in with the “its normal” post, I know. But I try to go with brands that use components less likely to have it as coil whine drives me nuts if its too loud.
Previously having used mostly EVGA from the 30 series back to the 200 series, the coil whine is something I noticed with the ASUS TUF.
It's not as bad as some of the worst cards I can recall from 10+ years ago, but it is perceptible.

Previously having used mostly EVGA from the 30 series back to the 200 series, the coil whine is something I noticed with the ASUS TUF.
It's not as bad as some of the worst cards I can recall from 10+ years ago, but it is perceptible.
What causes one card to have and another to not? Do they just hot glue some components so they cant vibrate as much?

What causes one card to have and another to not? Do they just hot glue some components so they cant vibrate as much?
Honestly I've never been too certain. I've seen people suggest the quality of power supply can be a factor. I'm using a brand new Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w ATX 3.0 for this though.

I'm noticing some coil whine on my FE in really high frame rate scenarios. It's not terrible yet, but it's there. The card is pretty quiet otherwise which makes it easier to hear the whine I think, it's much quieter overall compared to my 3080 ti hybrid.

I mounted mine vertically. I got the gigabyte 4090 waterforce. It's pretty silent,though during a long gaming session, I had the fans ramp up for a second randomly.

No, I didn't want to have to order a new case and I also didn't need an upgrade in performance per my outputs. I'm waiting things out to see how AMD stacks up this round and if they offer something with more bang for the buck

I ordered one because I happened to be sitting around doing nothing during the launch and thought I better try out one of these beasts. My GPU history appreciates the gesture. I went from a 1080ti to a 2070 due to the 1080ti being a space heater, and always regretted it. Went to a 3080 from the 2070 and felt it should be more powerful. This is a better fit.

I had to relocate my front mounted Liquid Freezer 280mm AIO to the uhh box it came in, and reinstalled the case fans I removed. Put a deepcool AK620 on the 5900x and its fairly close to what I was getting with the AIO. Really happy everything fit in my compact case too, and temps are still good.

I would be concerned with these cards considering there are growing reports in just a short time of the power connecter melting on these things.

I would be concerned with these cards considering there are growing reports in just a short time of the power connecter melting on these things.
IgorsLab came out with an analysis that it's occurring when people bend the power connector side-to-side. This will be an issue with thin cases.

Finally got mine yesterday, after ordering it on the 12th direct from Gigabyte.
4090.jpg

The question that seems to not be able to be answered. I had a EVGA 3080 that would whine with a 850w Platinum Seasonic PSU but was completely silent with a 1000w Super flower PSU.

LOL @ MLID post stating Jensen is personally getting involved. That guy is as full of bullshit as ever.

As for the my card, I got my cable mod cable in. I've also taken pics of my cable too just to show that NexusGames may be onto something that Igor's lab may just have a bad example of a cable.

20221031_140838.jpg
20221031_140653.jpg
20221031_140054.jpg
20221031_140859.jpg

I didn't feel like waiting for a Cablemod cable so I went with the Fasgear one on Amazon that a few people have tried already. So far so good, I probably won't bother with a Cablemod cable at this point although I'm sure their build quality is a bit better. I also finally ditched my D15 in favor of an AIO. Here are the before and after pics:

4090_1.jpg
4090_2.jpg

Can the Fasgear really handle 600W? It has 3 connections, not 4 (as my Gigabyte 4090 adapter)

Can the Fasgear really handle 600W? It has 3 connections, not 4 (as my Gigabyte 4090 adapter)
Yes, 3 is pretty standard when they go back to the PSU directly. Cablemods offers 3 or 4 connections but they said 3 is all you need. Corsair and Seasonic have a cable that only has two connections, but Seasonic had issues with theirs. PCI-E power spec is 150w per 8 pin connector, there are normally 2 connectors per cable feed to the PSU. So based on that you can assume that the PSU side of an PCI-E feed can handle 200 watts if it is a quality unit.

Managed to score a 4090FE off of BestBuy last week. Crazy how big the heat sink/fan assembly is. Dropped an EKWB on it as I already have a custom loop anyway. Size is much more manageable now. No issues with the cable adapter. Let it run the TimeSpy stress test in a loop for a while. GPU hit a max of 41C. The connector never even got warm.

1668226348451.jpeg

Managed to score a 4090FE off of BestBuy last week. Crazy how big the heat sink/fan assembly is. Dropped an EKWB on it as I already have a custom loop anyway. Size is much more manageable now. No issues with the cable adapter. Let it run the TimeSpy stress test in a loop for a while. GPU hit a max of 41C. The connector never even got warm.

View attachment 526191
That's one way to heat a hot tub.

I was able to grab a MSI 4090 Gaming from BB close to launch, but decided to hold off to see what happened with the melting connectors. I ordered a CableMod cable and in the time it took that to show up, I was able to grab a 4090 FE (the version i really wanted) last week. So returned the MSI card and got it all installed yesterday and it really really good..no discernible coil whine. I had to put a little pressure on my O11D XL glass panel to close it but nothing insane. I'm going to redo my custom loop when I choose which waterblock to get. Waiting to see what Watercool and Optimus come up with.

1668271562815.jpeg

Last edited:
Back