Did Windows 10 truncate the name of your user account?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It seems like Windows 10 will truncate your username to five letters if you create an account using your Microsoft Account (e-mail address). Like, if your e-mail name was "billgates," your account folder under C:\Users would be truncated to "billg."

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I am thinking about doing a clean install again and setting up with a local account this time to see if it'll give me the user account folder name I want.

Microsoft accounts have completely ruined me with my Windows 10 upgrade.

I get your same 5 letter issue. Annoying as hell.

Second, when using a MS account I am having authentication issues when trying to share and access folders on the network...and I honestly don't know the hell username it is wanting me to use half of the time. I have ended up taking the 2 PC's I've upgraded to local accounts only, but I am with you in that I may clean install both of them and never setup an MS account to begin with.

Overall, very frustrated at this point in the game. I remember similar issues with windows 8.1 and MS accounts, but somehow I managed to figure it out that go round.

Never again MS account, never again.

I'm seeing the truncated account as well, was wondering why it looked like it was truncating everything to "trodg" until I realized my entire user directory was set to that. So far I don't see anything in the user account options that lets me fix that, would probably have to be a registry fix.

Also mine was a clean install, not an upgrade.

You could start by using a local account named the same as your email alias, then switch to MSA after you log in the first time. That way your MSA account will be tied to that local account.

You could start by using a local account named the same as your email alias, then switch to MSA after you log in the first time. That way your MSA account will be tied to that local account.

Yup. Windows 8 does this, too. Start with a local account and then turn it into an MSA account. Annoyed the hell out of me a couple years ago.

As long as you know what it's called why would it matter? Shorter names make for less crazy character limit errors later.

As long as you know what it's called why would it matter? Shorter names make for less crazy character limit errors later.

It's just the principle of the matter. I want my computer to be named what I want it to be named. I don't want it to be changed unwillingly.

Microsoft accounts have completely ruined me with my Windows 10 upgrade.

I get your same 5 letter issue. Annoying as hell.

Second, when using a MS account I am having authentication issues when trying to share and access folders on the network...and I honestly don't know the hell username it is wanting me to use half of the time. I have ended up taking the 2 PC's I've upgraded to local accounts only, but I am with you in that I may clean install both of them and never setup an MS account to begin with.

Overall, very frustrated at this point in the game. I remember similar issues with windows 8.1 and MS accounts, but somehow I managed to figure it out that go round.

Never again MS account, never again.

I've discovered with Windows 10 that using a PIN to log in bizarrely prevents access to network resources. Resorting to using a password improves the situation although I'm still having problems accessing my network drives but that may be an unrelated issue. This appears to be a well known and documented (online) 'feature' for which Microsoft don't seem to have an explanation or realistic solution.

A truncated name is both undesirable and runs the risk of naming conflicts on multi-user systems. There is just no logical reason in a modern operating system to be forcing short user and folder names especially at an arbitrary five characters. It's not even related to old 8.3 MS-DOS/FAT file naming conventions. Why five characters? This didn't happen on earlier versions of Windows (Windows 7, NT etc.) so why now?

This has always been the case, the first time I discovered it I was getting pretty heated trying to log into a network share I can assure you. I just love the way Microsoft try to switch you to a Microsoft account every chance they get, they're unashamedly manipulative about it.

Back