Did vega end up supporting SR-IOV?

phantommaggot

Weaksauce
So, the reviews are out.
I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere.. Just that it's supposed to be there.

I dual booted linux/windows for years and when I built my current PC I decided to just stick to windows 7 for ease.
But if I can build a new setup that would only need 1 GPU (Since I REALLY like ITX) for proper virtualization of windows for games I'd sure be a happy camper....

So, the reviews are out.
I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere.. Just that it's supposed to be there.

I dual booted linux/windows for years and when I built my current PC I decided to just stick to windows 7 for ease.
But if I can build a new setup that would only need 1 GPU (Since I REALLY like ITX) for proper virtualization of windows for games I'd sure be a happy camper....
Some of their engineers said it was disabled on consumer cards. Hardware is capable, but it's a software thing in limbo atm. I was looking at it for the very same reason. APU gets around the issue, but the SR-IOV would be nice. Even if just two instances to support Linux and the Windows gaming concurrently.

Or maybe 5 so I can make 4 gaming boxes out of a Threadripper, but I'd settle for avoiding the dual boot.

It doesn't.

According to some discussion here - - the rep said there is "currently" no support, but not that it is totally disabled on a hardware level. It would be a good feature to enable for AMD, especially given the midding performance of Vega, if AMD can get a reputation for enabling "pro" features on higher-end consumer hardware unlike their competitors. For instance, Threadripper (maybe Ryzen too?) supports ECC memory when Intel won't let that happen on their HEDT platform etc.

Unless I'm incorrect, it is only Vega RX being discussed here as without the feature. The Frontier Edition version from what I can tell does have it enabled, so if you really want SR-IOV that is an option, especially if you don't feel like waiting for the possibility they'll enable it on RX. Hopefully if RX can handle it on the hardware level then they'll activate it in driver support.

But FE costs a fortune and sort of sucks for the money.. Unless new updates have helped it... a LOT.
I was really hoping I could snatch up a Vega56 to replace my Nano. But between the price hike, power limit, sellouts, ebay scalping, and whatnot. I'll just stick this waterblock on my nano and hope for better clocks. Maybe I can snatch up a vega 56 on black friday and by then someone will have hacked the bios.

Can I use an APU as the host GPU? Would my hd4600 fit that role?

Can I use an APU as the host GPU? Would my hd4600 fit that role?
I haven't had an opportunity to test, but if Linux defaults to the APU, you should able to passthrough an entire discrete GPU. Only need SR-IOV to assign multiple hosts to a single device. Just like that LTT 7 gamers rig with all the Nanos.

Back