Did Nvidia's 30x0 launch diminish likelihood you will wait for AMD big Navi?

Poll

• Total voters
No availability from Nvidia, so we have no choice but to wait. Hopefully AMD will shock us with better performance/dollar.

Yep. Didn't have a choice but I like what I'm seeing from AMD. I'd be in for a 6900XT pending reviews.

If 6900XT competes with 3090, taking the 6900 cause I know it will be cheaper than the 3090 and dlss and rt are gimmicks at the moment and aren't there yet. Maybe 2 more genenerations before rt is ready and noticeably looks better, and dlss reduced visuals are not for me.

Nvidia price drops incoming.

Having gotten my 3090 last week I suppose this POLL is moot. As AMD release day nears I cannot help but fear being a bit butthurt if the 6900XT just kills. If so, still... good for them. I'm glad AMD has their head in the game. Competition benefits us all.

This thread started mid Sept, it's now end Oct. There's new nVidia cards for sale? Really? Where?

Oh you mean the RTX 3000 line paper launch with zero availability.

I have no option to buy a RTX 3080 because there's none for sale.

AMD announcement this week, now the big question, when do the new 6000 Series cards actually go on sale? And will there be more than 100 in stock?

This thread started mid Sept, it's now end Oct. There's new nVidia cards for sale? Really? Where?

AMD announcement this week, now the big question, when do the new 6000 Series cards actually go on sale? And will there be more than 100 in stock?

Yup. Nothing worse than having money on hand, ready to go and not being able to buy what you've been waiting for in a reasonable timeframe.

Mid November if I remember correctly for Big Navi.

Personally I stopped looking. And as luck would have it, it's a good thing too since the Panasonic hdmi chip is flawed. That chip is used in Nvidia's cards and the new Xbox.

Availability is king. All the performance in the world means exactly dick if you can’t get the card that gets you that performance. If the new AMD cards are within a reasonable performance distance of a 3080 or 3090, I’ll buy one assuming it’s available. If it’s going to get bought by bots and scalped, who gives a shit since for all intents and purposes, that card doesn’t exist in my world.

Personally I stopped looking. And as luck would have it, it's a good thing too since the Panasonic hdmi chip is flawed. That chip is used in Nvidia's cards and the new Xbox.

No it isn’t. The chip is used in receivers. The Xbox and Nvidia cards are fine. Just plug them directly into the TV.

Personally I stopped looking.....
Yes, I had stopped looking after a week as the urge wore off. I got on with life. Then those devils at eVGA told me I could buy one of theirs. That's okay. I have one in hand. I'm not going to fuss about 2 top cards trading the leader board back on forth on various benchmarks. That just tells me they could be very close and not something I am likely to notice in my day to day life. Now and extra $800.... that I might notice.... LOL :D Seriously... I spend money every week on WAY dumber stuff. Gonna keep it moving. Zen 3 has me way more excited. Cannot wait to see some numbers on a 24 or 32 core ZEN 3 Threadripper. What a great thing competition is today.

I think the competition between the two companies will probably particularly fierce this generation. Nvidia can still release super or TI variants to combat any performance loss, and AMD can lower prices of the announced cards or fill in cards in the product stack. Better for us consumers in the end. I'll probably wait for any refreshes that could drive prices down lower.

Missing an option:

I want to buy a card this generation - but figure big Navi will be theoretically available (but probably also instantly and permanently sold out) long before 3080's are in stock long enough to buy without running a bot or camping in parkinglots.

🤮🤮🤮🤮

Well, if the 6900xt or maybe higher variant (if there is one) is going to compete with the 3090 I may be picking up a red card for the first time in a long time. Especially since it may be getting a performance boost if using an AMD system which I have. I currently have a 3950x, but am planning on getting a 5950x when that launches here soon. Wife will get my 3950x, and the current 1700x she has will go into the kids pc. Then I'll find a new home for the 1300 in that system somewhere. I still haven't found a home though for my 6700k yet, but christmas around the corner so I am seeing which family/friends needs an upgrade. I will say that I am excited about the possibilities around the infinity cache system when it comes to game performance. While I'm not expecting much, if it even improves load times I'd be happy.

Still, I will say that if a 3080/3090 become available for me to purchase before hand I'd probably just pick one of those up.

I miss ATI, back in my day I owned many ATI video cards and they were usually incredibly competitive with Nvidia. The R9 290 was the last ATI card, then AMD bought ATI and started rebranding. They rebranded or respun the R9 290 three times while Nvidia ran away with their lunch money and a part of the Canadian in me died. It's honestly gone downhill ever since. Look at the R9 290, on release that was the best value high-end graphics card on the market by far. It had terrific performance, solid drivers and I consider it one of my best PC purchases ever. The 5700xt is the closest they've come to reclaiming some of their former glory. I really hope they get their shit together but I doubt it's going to happen. Nvidia is slowly locking down the market with DLSS, Color filters, streaming features, ultra low latency features, and we don't see AMD pushing back.

The R9 290 was my last ATI card as well. ATI was all I bought and after the 290 and at the time of purchase it was a great card but I didn't have as great of an experience as you did. The card ran super hot, Catalyst was terrible and IMO driver support is terrible. Things may have changed and this was my personal experience. I like my 2080 a lot and while nvidia products are more expensive they do offer great driver support plus extras. Just yesterday I was streaming a game through moonlight on my laptop and it was fantastic.

Back