Did Nvidia Cancel the RTX 3080 20gb and RTX 3070 16gb

Well the MLID theory could still hold true. Right now the rumors are that its a Samsung 8NM issue, and not a memory issue. So, for all we know Nvidia is hoarding all the memory modules, problem would be they dont have enough GPU's from Samsung to put the memory on.

But those circumstances doesn't really add up, do they? If they had plenty of GDDR6x memory modules but way too few GPUs, they would surely push the 20 GB models forward and make some nice profit right now when people will pay anything to get a 3080 variant. This smell like a big nVidia fumble, we just dont know what it is yet.

Look, I'm firm on my Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC preorder, so I'm not against the 3080 per se, but there is definitely something forced about this launch. And I don't think Jensen is happy about it, although it was surely himself pushing this to the brink, knowing how he hates to lose.

Are you talking about right now or in two years because I agree with the former but strongly disagree with the latter. I've had the option to get double the VRAM several times and have done so even though most seemed to think it was useless and at the time it was but by the time I got rid of the cards it was very useful. I realize not everyone keeps cards as long as I tend to these days and there have been some clunker cards with extra memory that was too slow(ie: DDR vs GDDR) but every one I've bought has absolutely been worth it in the end and if I had gone for the lower capacity card I would have needed to replace it much sooner.

The new consoles have 16GB GDDR6 which is shared but I could see graphically intensive games getting 12GB allocated to the GPU which means the 3080 wouldn't even be able to offer the console experience on those titles. Obviously that would be an edge case scenario but even if games allocate it fairly evenly that's still setting the bar at 8GB which is a little too close to 10GB for me considering the performance level that's considered acceptable on consoles.
The cards with more memory than needed at the time would usually end up too slow to be able to use it by the time it became relevant.

This has not been my experience multiple times.
Eh... I'd say it's 20/80 for me. 20% of the time, software VRAM requirements have exceeded the amount of VRAM on a card I've had over its lifetime (e.g. 4870 512MB, 780 ti 3GB); 80% of the time, software rasterization requirements exceed the rasterization performance on a card I've owned.

The cards with more memory than needed at the time would usually end up too slow to be able to use it by the time it became relevant.
And how many people cried about GTA demanding too much VRAM? You can easily max out a 11GB card with GTAV. You might not even have to go to 4K for it. And it's a 5 year old title. So yeah. NVIDIA can keep their 10GB cards. I'll wait. And if there really won't be a 20GB variant 3080Ti, I can skip this generation too.

Reactions: noko
like this
Please take the memory performance discussion to ask appropriate thread.

as with the now cancelled 3080 20GB, the question becomes why would anyone want a vanilla 3070 when this new 3070 Ti sounds much better (GDDR6X, more VRAM, more CUDA cores etc)
Price cut.
But yes I agree with you and its the only way this new gpu makes sense.

as with the now cancelled 3080 20GB, the question becomes why would anyone want a vanilla 3070 when this new 3070 Ti sounds much better (GDDR6X, more VRAM, more CUDA cores etc)

They'd have to price this between the $499 3070 and $699 3080, so $599?

All the Turing owners better hope they don't further erode the resale value of their cards by dropping the price on the vanilla 3070.

Budget limits. Why would anyone want a 3070ti when the 3080 is better? Simple, the To fits in the budget and the 3080 doesn't. That's the reason nVidia and the AIB have found as much success in this current trend of each product having 3-4 performance tiers between the next big model step, they can cover the entire budget range between models and not leave money in the table.

If that was the case, Samsung TV's would be hard to buy. Memory modules would be hard to buy. Heck all of the Samsung M.2 drives would be super rare.

Heck Kia's, Hyundai cars would be very rare to buy!......Basically there is no issues with buying any product from a Korean company right now.

Yeah, not really buying the Covid supply chain impact as the excuse.

Well if Nvidia has another lower cost skew using DDR6x, which will sell more, having sufficient DDR6x to make them would be important. My question would be why even bother with DDR6x with the lower Skew? It is already a wider bus, just use DDR6 for it, lower energy cost, less heat, cheaper to make the whole card. WTF is Nvidia doing?

Well the 6700XT 64 CU's would have utterly slaughtered the 3070 46 SM's :ROFLMAO: and still have double the ram :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Nvidia better put the 3070, GA104 as the 3060, 8gb, $399 price point. Move everything else down and slide in this additional GA 102 failed ship in the 3070 slot to avoid utter confusion in the WTF Nvidia lineup strategy.

They'd have to price this between the $499 3070 and $699 3080, so $599?

All the Turing owners better hope they don't further erode the resale value of their cards by dropping the price on the vanilla 3070.
I don't think they will lower the 3070 price. $499 is already a steal for the alleged performance. Not to mention the rumored 3060Ti sounds like a very similar card already (same core, same RAM capacity, fewer compute)

I don't think they will lower the 3070 price. $499 is already a steal for the alleged performance. Not to mention the rumored 3060Ti sounds like a very similar card already (same core, same RAM capacity, fewer compute)
Looks like the 6700XT will cream it in rasterization, doesn't matter how it compares to the 2080Ti if AMD crushes it at the same price point. Unless AMD pricing is much higher. The 2080Ti pricing was utterly terrible, the xx70 cards were under $400 cards not $500+ cards that Nvidia pushed then up to be.

Looks like the 6700XT will cream it in rasterization, doesn't matter how it compares to the 2080Ti if AMD crushes it at the same price point. Unless AMD pricing is much higher. The 2080Ti pricing was utterly terrible, the xx70 cards were under $400 cards not $500+ cards that Nvidia pushed then up to be.
There were 6700XT benchmark leaks? I only saw the 6800XT ones.

If that was the case, Samsung TV's would be hard to buy. Memory modules would be hard to buy. Heck all of the Samsung M.2 drives would be super rare.

Heck Kia's, Hyundai cars would be very rare to buy!......Basically there is no issues with buying any product from a Korean company right now.
TVs are maybe a good comparable, but I am not sure for cars.

Not all model are made in Korea, half of the US sold model are made in Alabama and cars sales are quite low versus the usual:

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-canada-vehicle-sales-figures-by-brand/
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-vehicle-sales-figures-by-brand/

In Canada, Q3 sales were -20% lower than last year Q3 for example, in the USA -12% and I imagine something similar happened in many markets, for some months in Europe it was -50% versus the usual, in those condition car could be so abundant sellers have issues finding parking space and offering 0% 60 month deal while having issue making as much as them versus usual at the same time.

There were 6700XT benchmark leaks? I only saw the 6800XT ones.
Looking at AMD CU count vs Nvidia SM count, If AMD 6900XT is 80CU, 6800XT 72CU and 6700XT 64CU this is how they would compare to Nvidia. The official counts of CUs from AMD I do not think have been released yet as a note.
6900XT 80CU vs 82SM of the 3090
6800XT 72CU vs 68SM of the 3080
6700XT 64CU vs 46SM of the 3070

The benchmark for the 6800XT vs 3800FE has Fire Strike Extreme with the 6800XT beating the 3080FE by 22% and Time Spy Extreme by 3% with a 72/68 ratio of CUs to SMs or 6% more CUs vs SMs

The 6700XT has a ratio of CUs/SMs of 64/46 or 39% more over the 3070. In addition the 6700XT has the same suppose memory configuration of the 6800XT of a 256bit bus, 16GB/s memory and 16gb. While the 3070 has a 256bit bus 8gb of DDR6 vs a 320bit DDR6x 10gb 3080. I would say the 6700XT would crush the 3070 and maybe reason why Nvidia may have another GA102 part to compete against it, possibly the real 3070 in the end.

Still a matter of pricing and availability but the 6700XT definitely looks like an Nvidia 3070 killer at this point in time unless Nvidia reconfigures the 3070.

Budget limits. Why would anyone want a 3070ti when the 3080 is better? Simple, the To fits in the budget and the 3080 doesn't. That's the reason nVidia and the AIB have found as much success in this current trend of each product having 3-4 performance tiers between the next big model step, they can cover the entire budget range between models and not leave money in the table.

if someone can afford a $600 GPU then they can afford a $700 GPU...I don't believe that $100 is some sort of tipping point

He also said nvidia was going to flood the market with double vram cards after big navi announcement to milk consumers... then they got cancelled. the october price increase he talked about hasnt happened, either. His initial prediction of FE vs AIB supply was wrong, as well.

alex jones of pc hardware.. he will flip his story as the news changes to fit a new narrative. waste of time.

Last edited:
He also said nvidia was going to flood the market with double vram cards after big navi announcement to milk consumers... then they got cancelled. the october price increase he talked about hasnt happened, either. His initial prediction of FE vs AIB supply was wrong, as well.

alex jones of pc hardware.. he will flip his story as the news changes to fit a new narrative. waste of time.
Fact that he spends the first 10 minutes regurgitating what he was right about tells me this is the case. A sociopathic ex of mine would do this: saturate the conversation with the points she (and everyone else) agreed upon, wangle around anything that she wasn't prescient on.

I know nothing about this MLID's background, but I'm going to take a wild guess he was a broker at some point in the past?

There's nothing revelatory in what he's saying. Go back 4 months and we generally knew how an 80CU RDNA 2 card would perform, scaling down to other models from there.

Well, they were until they got canceled. We've seen the slides. But big Navi put an end to that and they are restructuring their attack. Flood the market? I think you are deliberately misquoting here. Fake news?
October price increase? You mean the one that is happening right now? The lack of stock and an add in partner getting caught ebay'ing the cards at elaborate $$? How many October cards can you buy at MSRP?b :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hey I am game if it means we get faster with more vram cards sooner. After the excitement from the 3xxx reveal came down the 3xxx series been kinda disappointing from many points. I want a 22gb 3080ti faster the. The 3090 on 7nm. I want it now since I gutted my PC waiting for new CPUs and GPUs.

I just want to see stock available. Give me time to look at AMD offerings. Just total let down that so few of 3080 and 3090. I wanted 3080 with 20gb not going to happen. So I ride my 1080ti Sli EVGAs till I can replace them. Skipped 2080ti with all its probblems and decided to wait for 3000 series. I have to save up probabily wont upgrade till summer next year. Hopefully supply wont be issue. Much more expensive in Canada.

Last edited:
This makes a lot of sense to me. Basically if Navi meets or beats the 3080 and comes with 16GB, who in there right mind would shell out ~$200 more for a 3080 20GB. Those that worry about needing more than 10GB will either go for Navi or go for 3090 probably. Sometime down the road I do expect some kind of "Ti" "Super" refresh and these might have more memory, but that will not the be only difference.

Reactions: noko
like this
This makes a lot of sense to me. Basically if Navi meets or beats the 3080 and comes with 16GB, who in there right mind would shell out ~$200 more for a 3080 20GB. Those that worry about needing more than 10GB will either go for Navi or go for 3090 probably. Sometime down the road I do expect some kind of "Ti" "Super" refresh and these might have more memory, but that will not the be only difference.

I'm betting the "Super" cards will be double memory on TSMC with higher clocks and will be out sooner than a mid cycle refresh. So, I'd say they are canceled on Samsung 8nm, but we'll see them eventually.

If this “3070 Ti” comes with 10GB G6X then I think that there could be a 3080 with the full memory bus opened and with 12GB of VRAM instead of the current memory bus and 20GB of VRAM.
I would guess if they go to 320 bit bus, they will not being going with gddr6x. For supply and cost reasons.

If so I would think they must be having really bad yield issues...with the big die 3090/3080 might be why there's so few

Full 384 bit memory bus. More signs pointing to a 12GB 3080 rather than 20GB.
and that's the sweet spot. 12GB is more than the 2080ti. The card isn't designed for 8K without DLSS so it isn't going to be loading up 16GB worth of textures at realistically playable framerates. At least that's what I think.

12GB is more than enough but unless they go even higher on power usage there won't be much of a performance uplift to justify a price increase over the 10GB 3080.
I think so as well, I would expect MSRP of $899, AIBs up to $1000. 3080 AIB's already go past $800 as it is. As for performance uplift? 5%?

Back