Did Nvidia Cancel the RTX 3080 20gb and RTX 3070 16gb

Madcow0812

n00b
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

NVIDIA allegedly cancels its December launch of GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB. This still very fresh information comes from two independent sources.

Technically GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB could launch at a later time, but the information that we have clearly stated that those SKUs have been canceled, not postponed. NVIDIA has already canceled its RTX 3070 Ti model (PG141 SKU 0), so the RTX 3070 16GB (PG141 SKU5) and RTX 3080 20GB (PG132 SKU20) will be joining the list.

The GeForce RTX 3080 20GB was expected to be a response to AMD Radeon RX 6900/6800 series featuring Navi 21 GPU. All three AMD SKUs will feature 16GB of memory, leaving NVIDIA with a smaller frame buffer to compete with.

We do not know the official reason for the cancellation. The RTX 3080 20GB might have been scrapped due to low GDDR6X yield issues, one source claims. The reason behind RTX 3070 16GB cancellation is unknown (this SKU uses GDDR6 memory).

The plans for GeForce RTX 3060 Ti remain unchanged. The PG190 SKU 10 remains on track for mid-November launch. NVIDIA has not yet confirmed the exact launch date.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 12.43.10 PM.png

Can't argue with that source!!!

lol oh if this is true then AMD got a huge order list coming to them if they can supply the demand.

Uh hasn't Nvidia said the 20gb model are up to the AiB partners to make and never actually confirmed they were even coming?

Last edited:
Technically they were never officially confirmed in the first place, just mentioned in AIB slides and model numbers but it's interesting to see they have been axed. Maybe they will release a 7nm 3080 ti with 20GB early to mid next year?

Doubt it's true, but if it is, it's likely just a state of the business snapshot because of the shift to 7nm at TSMC instead of 8nm at Samsung causing a delay, and not a cancellation.

This was from sept -
Product codenames for the yet unreleased GeForce RTX 30 series have been exposed by Gigabyte.

Gigabyte confirms GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, RTX 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20G​

Gigabyte’s Watch Dogs Legion code redeeming website lists many graphics cards that have not been announced by the manufacturer. In fact, these cards have not even been announced by NVIDIA yet.

The product list features GeForce RTX 3060 (S – SUPER?) 8GB model, GeForce RTX 3070 16GB (S- SUPER?) and Geforce RTX 3080 20GB (also labelled S). It remains unclear if the S means a SUPER series, or as our sources tend to believe, the Ti models.

The GeForce RTX 3080 20GB model is not expected to feature a higher core count than the just-released 10GB model, thus we are unsure if the product code is not final or the card might actually feature 3080 Ti or 3080 SUPER branding.

This leak confirms memory configurations that we speculated for at least two months now. The GA104-based RTX 3060 model will feature 8GB memory while the supercharged RTX 3070 model with full GA104 GPU (6144 CUDAs) is expected to feature 16GB of GDDR6 memory.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 1.21.16 PM.png

This was from sept -
Product codenames for the yet unreleased GeForce RTX 30 series have been exposed by Gigabyte.

Gigabyte confirms GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, RTX 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20G​

Gigabyte’s Watch Dogs Legion code redeeming website lists many graphics cards that have not been announced by the manufacturer. In fact, these cards have not even been announced by NVIDIA yet.

The product list features GeForce RTX 3060 (S – SUPER?) 8GB model, GeForce RTX 3070 16GB (S- SUPER?) and Geforce RTX 3080 20GB (also labelled S). It remains unclear if the S means a SUPER series, or as our sources tend to believe, the Ti models.

The GeForce RTX 3080 20GB model is not expected to feature a higher core count than the just-released 10GB model, thus we are unsure if the product code is not final or the card might actually feature 3080 Ti or 3080 SUPER branding.

This leak confirms memory configurations that we speculated for at least two months now. The GA104-based RTX 3060 model will feature 8GB memory while the supercharged RTX 3070 model with full GA104 GPU (6144 CUDAs) is expected to feature 16GB of GDDR6 memory.

View attachment 291210

Like I said, they were never confirmed by Nvidia to exist, only rumored based on AIB partner model numbers and leaked presentation slides. Nvidia never said 'There will be a 20GB 3080'.

I keep hearing that there's no shortage of GDDR6X, but there are still realities of insane demand. It makes more sense to not "waste" any allocation of that RAM (which only has ONE manufacturer) on 20GB 3080 cards when you can make two 3080 cards with it, or even more 3070s at 8GB each... If I were Nvidia I'd be reallocating for maximum production volumes of ALL cards right now. Strike while the iron is hot and maximize total production by any means possible.

Uh you circled 10GB, please show me an official Nvidia slide that mentions a 20GB 3080. Inferring that a 20GB model exists based on them specifying 10 GB in a slide is a stretch.
Not going to argue with you. There is enough evidence out there that the 20gb was coming in December. Everything you need is in the article above.

I keep hearing that there's no shortage of GDDR6X, but there are still realities of insane demand. It makes more sense to not "waste" any allocation of that RAM (which only has ONE manufacturer) on 20GB 3080 cards when you can make two 3080 cards with it, or even more 3070s at 8GB each... If I were Nvidia I'd be reallocating for maximum production volumes of ALL cards right now. Strike while the iron is hot and maximize total production by any means possible.

Kyle has said that Nvidia has huge stockpiles of GDDR6X so it likely isn't related to a shortage on that. Perhaps they felt it was better to concentrate on the launch capacities first before moving on to higher capacities or else they decided the high memory options were no longer viable.

As said, Nvidia has never confirmed these cards exist.

That's true. But Nvidia referring to the "10GB" 3080 in official docs is a clear giveaway that it was in the plan at some point. They have never referred to a card's memory allocation in a whitepaper before.

If there's any truth to this, one possible reason is Nvidia doesn't think they need more VRAM on the 3080 to compete with AMD's card.

I'm sure we'll see a "super" card with more memory at some point.

This is probably in combination of the rumor of moving to TSMC. Nvidia is disappointed with Samsung 8nm for whatever reason so no sense in dumping more money there. They'll delay the 20GB cards until they have a card ready to go on 7nm.

Samsung 8nm = 10GB cards
TSMC 7nm = 20GB cards

I could see them delaying it heavily given how much of a shit show the Ampere launch has been. But I doubt they would outright cancel them.

Kyle has said that Nvidia has huge stockpiles of GDDR6X so it likely isn't related to a shortage on that. Perhaps they felt it was better to concentrate on the launch capacities first before moving on to higher capacities or else they decided the high memory options were no longer viable.
I heard this 20GB/16Gb cancellation rumor about 36 hours ago. I could not find anything concrete to back it up although it did come from a very solid source. I was expecting to get proof last night, but it did not come.

So moving forward assuming this is true, I think the only conclusion is that Samsung is having some very big problems with 8nm yield. Just my 2 cents, you may need change.

a December release of 20GB cards never made any sense...waaay too close to the initial 10GB card release...

The rumor was the 20GB existed for AIBs to squeeze more profit out of the 3080...because the 3080 as-is is not as profitable for AIB as in the past.

The rumor was the 20GB existed for AIBs to squeeze more profit out of the 3080...because the 3080 as-is is not as profitable for AIB as in the past.

the high end AIB models seem just as expensive as in the past- cards such as the Asus Strix, Gigabyte Aorus etc...maybe the 20GB debunking rumor is just a way for Nvidia to get people to buy the 10GB cards

When I imagine Jensen's laptop I conjure images of pr0n invloving leather, lots and lots of leather. The rumor mill grindstone must be getting rather worn at this point. Videocardz sure does love hot smelly trash thrown out the back door.

the high end AIB models seem just as expensive as in the past- cards such as the Asus Strix, Gigabyte Aorus etc...maybe the 20GB debunking rumor is just a way for Nvidia to get people to buy the 10GB cards
Yes, that's why there are very few $700 cards (outside of FE) - because there is less profitability at that price range. AIBs had to go over that mark for 95% of their cards to expand their profit. Note that it is near impossible to get a $700 card today. It gets easier as you go higher in the range (but still crazy hard compared to past).

I'm sure we'll see a "super" card with more memory at some point.

This is probably in combination of the rumor of moving to TSMC. Nvidia is disappointed with Samsung 8nm for whatever reason so no sense in dumping more money there. They'll delay the 20GB cards until they have a card ready to go on 7nm.

Samsung 8nm = 10GB cards
TSMC 7nm = 20GB cards
That's the first thing that came to mind after reading that news/rumor.

a December release of 20GB cards never made any sense...waaay too close to the initial 10GB card release...
Also what would be the point of a 20gb card if the 10gb model was sufficient? I always thought it sounded stupid from the beginning. A 12gb higher performing card sounds better. Anyways Nvidia could also have concluded AMD is going to beat the 3080 anyways in general for games out there and move on to plan B or C. A good business do not double down on something that is not working out or not then move to something that is better. If Nvidia has the top card, 3090, they can concentrate on the 3070 and below and really mobile. AMD if they have a better perf/w mobile part that is where the market share would shift greatly to AMD favor. I would expect Nvidia if they go to TSMC would concentrate on mobile parts first while keeping Samsung for now on the top end. My thoughts.

Also what would be the point of a 20gb card if the 10gb model was sufficient? I always thought it sounded stupid from the beginning. A 12gb higher performing card sounds better. Anyways Nvidia could also have concluded AMD is going to beat the 3080 anyways in general for games out there and move on to plan B or C. A good business do not double down on something that is not working out or not then move to something that is better. If Nvidia has the top card, 3090, they can concentrate on the 3070 and below and really mobile. AMD if they have a better perf/w mobile part that is where the market share would shift greatly to AMD favor. I would expect Nvidia if they go to TSMC would concentrate on mobile parts first while keeping Samsung for now on the top end. My thoughts.

it was always meant as a response to the higher VRAM Big Navi cards

it was always meant as a response to the higher VRAM Big Navi cards
Which makes no sense, 4gb more for less performance and every reviewer out there would indicate 20gb has no benefit other than a higher cost . . . Losing position I see it. Nvidia can always put out a 3080 Ti, 12gb, performance up to the 3090 performance depending upon if cut down or not, that makes way more sense. 10%-20% over a 3080, very very little additional cost over a 3080, that I think is Nvidia's play. When has Nvidia ever been worried about vram amount over the competition?

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

NVIDIA allegedly cancels its December launch of GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB. This still very fresh information comes from two independent sources.

Technically GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB could launch at a later time, but the information that we have clearly stated that those SKUs have been canceled, not postponed. NVIDIA has already canceled its RTX 3070 Ti model (PG141 SKU 0), so the RTX 3070 16GB (PG141 SKU5) and RTX 3080 20GB (PG132 SKU20) will be joining the list.

The GeForce RTX 3080 20GB was expected to be a response to AMD Radeon RX 6900/6800 series featuring Navi 21 GPU. All three AMD SKUs will feature 16GB of memory, leaving NVIDIA with a smaller frame buffer to compete with.

We do not know the official reason for the cancellation. The RTX 3080 20GB might have been scrapped due to low GDDR6X yield issues, one source claims. The reason behind RTX 3070 16GB cancellation is unknown (this SKU uses GDDR6 memory).

The plans for GeForce RTX 3060 Ti remain unchanged. The PG190 SKU 10 remains on track for mid-November launch. NVIDIA has not yet confirmed the exact launch date.

The reason you delay a launch of the 3070 16GB is because you never launch a part at the higher-end with more ram than the next card-up. The GTX 960 4GB would never have happened if the 970 "4GB" hadn't launched 9 months earlier.

We will have to wait until sometime next year for GDDR6x 16b density, so until that point, we're waiting on extremely-limited quantities of 8Gb chips to improve.

Back