Did my Dell 2724 die? What to replace it with?

S-F

Gawd
So last night all network connectivity in my house went tits up. I ran a patch cable from my desktop to my router and everything is good, hence I can post this. The weak link there is my Dell 2724. I had it in managed mode and I switched it to unmanaged because I never used that stuff any way and still no go. All of the lights are blinking though. Is there anything more I can do? If it's hosed what's a good replacement? My requirements are, cheap, gigabit, 24 ports, rack mount and reliable. Low noise and power would be nice as well.

Unplug everything except your router and a single pc. Does it work now? If so, plug in one cable at a time, waiting 30 seconds in between until it stops working again. If not, it's probably dead.

That just sounds like the internal power supply in yours went bad. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can probably just crack it open and fix the one you have. There was another thread talking about the Dell switches, and you can get certain models dirt cheap. If you can't fix the one you have I'd probably just replace it with the same model and see how long that one lasts. Maybe the next one the ports will die on it and the PSU is still good, and you can take two broken ones to make one working one.

That just sounds like the internal power supply in yours went bad. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can probably just crack it open and fix the one you have. There was another thread talking about the Dell switches, and you can get certain models dirt cheap. If you can't fix the one you have I'd probably just replace it with the same model and see how long that one lasts. Maybe the next one the ports will die on it and the PSU is still good, and you can take two broken ones to make one working one.

I don't think it's the PSU as the port lights still blink. Maybe though? I do know my way around a soldering iron though. Could you point me in the direction of that thread you mention?

I'd like to keep a new switch under $100.

Right now the web ui won't load and nothing works at all when connected. Even just the router and my desktop. I think it's gone the way of the dodo.

I don't think it's the PSU as the port lights still blink. Maybe though? I do know my way around a soldering iron though. Could you point me in the direction of that thread you mention?

I'd like to keep a new switch under $100.

Right now the web ui won't load and nothing works at all when connected. Even just the router and my desktop. I think it's gone the way of the dodo.

Well yea I misread what you wrote and was thinking that you said the lights all just come up solid amber. I've seen that happen with a 10 year old power connect switch. I had to unplug / replug it a few times, enough to get the caps to charge up and get the device to boot. If you're looks like the ports are actually working then it could be something else. At this point I'd just crack it open and look for bad capacitors, cause that's usually the root cause of why they would die.

Here was the thread I was talking about:

https://hardforum.com/threads/decent-used-network-switch.1921352/#post-1042748859

I think I came to the conclusion that either a 2724 or 2824 would be the cheapest option from Dell. There are definitely other options from HP, Zyxel, and possibly Cisco.

Back