Did I purchase a power supply with enough wattage?

n3zyd

I Drink & Make TITAN X SLI Decisions
I bought a EVGA 1000 GQ ps for my new build. It will be powering SLI Titan X (P) an Asus Rampage 5 Edition 10 motherboard, 6850K cpu, 64GB ram, corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler. M.2 ssd and two spinning HDD

More than enough.
Worst case scenario for TitanX Pascal is 270 watt power consumption ( NVIDIA Titan X Pascal 12 GB Review ), so 270 *2=540watt for your SLI configuration.
But although the wattage of your PSU is more than enough, i can't say the same about its quality. Its reviewed 750watt "brother" didn't go well at ripple testing as well as transient testing ( EVGA GQ Series 750W PSU Review ).
( P.S TitanX Pascal SLI !!! WOW!!! (y) . I suppose that you are the guy to whom [H] made a special editorial at its news-page :sneaky:)

Last edited:
I don't think it's more than enough. It will work and it's unlikely you'll run into problems, but I don't think it's recommended.

I got a very similar setup that's pulling 650-700W under heavy load ([email protected], 2xStock TXP), and since that's averaged, you want something that can handle the random peaks.

Since you're clearly aiming for an overkill setup, don't skimp on the PSU. Go for either this (got it 2mo ago, rock solid under heavy load) or this one.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think it's more than enough. It will work and it's unlikely you'll run into problems, but I don't think it's recommended.

I got a very similar setup that's pulling 650-700W under heavy load ([email protected], 2xStock TXP), and since that's averaged, you want something that can handle the random peaks.

Since you're clearly aiming for an overkill setup, don't skimp on the PSU. Go for either this (got it 2mo ago, rock solid under heavy load) or this one.

Exactly how are you measuring your power draw?

You said it by yourself: "under heavy load" it's not weird to reach 650-700 watt especially since you have OC'd your CPU (CPU's TDP is 140watt and when OC'd it consumes up to +80 watt more, Intel Core i7-6850K (Broadwell-E) Review , so let's say 200 watt power consumption for your OC'd CPU under heavy load ).
At my post i only mentioned the worst case scenario for the SLI TitanX-P, which was 540watt. Add the worst case scenario for your OC'd CPU and we reach around the 700watt that you mentioned. But this is the worst case scenario!!, the typical / average gaming should be around 200 watts lower than the worst case scenario ( near 500-550watt probably), so as i said, the headroom is more than enough.

killawatt.

Your actual power draw from the PSU is actually 10-15% lower due to efficiency loss. So you are actually pulling 590-630 watts at heavy load, which makes a 1000 watt PSU more than sufficient. 1500 watts is an exercise in wasting money.

I'm aware that the wall power measurement is higher than the internal consumption, but like I said, that's an averaged measurement (peaks can be much higher, specially on PSUs like the T2 1600) and, in my case, power draw will only go up once I set up my WC and oc the TXPs (like the OP is going to probably/eventually).

We could argue that buying two Titans is an exercise in wasting money, so might as well go all the way and buy a PSU that fits the setup. Buying a gold rating ~$100 PSU in a +5k setup is complete nonsense for me, but ymmv.

I'm aware that the wall power measurement is higher than the internal consumption, but like I said, that's an averaged measurement (peaks can be much higher, specially on PSUs like the T2 1600) and, in my case, power draw will only go up once I set up my WC and oc the TXPs (like the OP is going to probably/eventually).

We could argue that buying two Titans is an exercise in wasting money, so might as well go all the way and buy a PSU that fits the setup. Buying a gold rating ~$100 PSU in a +5k setup is complete nonsense for me, but ymmv.

There is a difference between paying a premium for top of the line and wasting money for no tangible benefit. Reasoning like yours is downright stupid.

There's definitely a tangible benefit in a unit with superior internal components and higher build quality (i.e. the ax1500i). It's more efficient, clearer (better ripple performance, better voltage regulation, etc.) and has a higher headroom.
If the internals were almost identical between these two units, I'd agree with you. But they're not. Not even close.

So, yeah. No need to insult.

There's definitely a tangible benefit in a unit with superior internal components and higher build quality (i.e. the ax1500i). It's more efficient, clearer (better ripple performance, better voltage regulation, etc.) and has a higher headroom.
If the internals were almost identical between these two units, I'd agree with you. But they're not. Not even close.

I agree with getting a higher quality PSU, but not with needing 1500-1600W. If your max draw at full load is only 700W, then a 1000W PSU is plenty. Getting a 1200, 1500 or 1600W version is just wasting money for power you will never be able to use.

Simple math says the max theoretical load for that build is Approx 750w (Max load on GPUs and CPU aswell as HDD during spinup). Rule of thumb 20% overhead gives you 900w PSU for your build. While the GQ isn't the line from EVGA I'd purchase (Not a fan of FSP based PSUs, rather a Superflower or Seasonic unit), it's certainly a solid in spec unit. I don't see any problem running your system on that PSU.

If you had said buying a better quality 1000 watt PSU, that would have been reasonable. But you did not, and are continuing to insist on 1500 watt PSUs, and that is downright stupid. It's not an insult when it is the cold hard truth, regardless of how you feel about it.

If you had said buying a better quality 1000 watt PSU, that would have been reasonable. But you did not, and are continuing to insist on 1500 watt PSUs, and that is downright stupid. It's not an insult when it is the cold hard truth, regardless of how you feel about it.

This may surprise you but these superior components I'm talking about are found in the higher wattage units. Who would have thought?

You can go check out the specifics by comparing the internals of the ax1200i vs the ax1500i.

Anyway, you seem set on your thoughts disregarding any of the things I'm mentioning, and since the OP's long gone from the thread, I won't bother anymore. Have a good one!

This may surprise you but these superior components I'm talking about are found in the higher wattage units. Who would have thought?

You can go check out the specifics by comparing the internals of the ax1200i vs the ax1500i.

Anyway, you seem set on your thoughts disregarding any of the things I'm mentioning, and since the OP's long gone from the thread, I won't bother anymore. Have a good one!

So wait, you're saying nothing at the 1000w level is high enough quality for his rig?

Absolutely Absurd. Not only is it wasting money, but if it does fail and pump juice into the board, it's got a lot more juice to do a lot more damage (If you're careful, you can arc weld with an EVGA Supernova NEX1500 if you have it in single rail mode and are careful with how you run the bead. It won't trip OCP.)

Get a PSU that fits your system with some overhead. If you plan on upgrading in the future, sure. Get something with what you expect to use. SLI Titan XPs and a 6850K are tough to beat, so I doubt he's purchasing with intent to add more.

I won't say nothing is good enough at the 1000w level, but I personally wouldn't go for a GQ, and I've found that the best units are the +1400w ones. Regarding overhead, it's very easy to run out of it with these setups. I'm still waiting for my WC parts to arrive but on my short stress tests w/pascal oc (air) I've got the thing to draw closer to 800w at wall.

I won't say nothing is good enough at the 1000w level, but I personally wouldn't go for a GQ, and I've found that the best units are the +1400w ones. Regarding overhead, it's very easy to run out of it with these setups. I'm still waiting for my WC parts to arrive but on my short stress tests w/pascal oc (air) I've got the thing to draw closer to 800w at wall.

So you're pulling around 700w from the PSU, and expect to double that with water cooling?

I'm flabbergasted. Even under water, 15 bucks says you never break 1000w.

Actually, no, that's a bad idea. You might be dumb enough to run enough voltage to actually do it, and then burn your whole shit up. I don't want that on my conscience.

Seriously though, you have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop.

Be sure to pay attention to the current rating of the rail(s) as well. I have oversized (possibly substantially) on a new build I'm working on to make sure I have the required amp draws covered and have some head room on that side of the equation.

Quality power supplies are rated for continuous use. Peak wattage capacity (momentary spikes) is a lot higher then 1000 watts, so yes, it is more then enough.

So you're pulling around 700w from the PSU, and expect to double that with water cooling?

I'm flabbergasted. Even under water, 15 bucks says you never break 1000w.

Actually, no, that's a bad idea. You might be dumb enough to run enough voltage to actually do it, and then burn your whole shit up. I don't want that on my conscience.

Seriously though, you have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop.

Lol you people

I never, ever said this setup would break 1000w. I said it could run closer to that amount when ocing on the vgas, and a higher quality unit (which usually are the higher wattage ones) would be a better fit to the setup, specially on the efficiency side. Wow, so incoherent!

Lol you people

I never, ever said this setup would break 1000w. I said it could run closer to that amount when ocing on the vgas, and a higher quality unit (which usually are the higher wattage ones) would be a better fit to the setup, specially on the efficiency side. Wow, so incoherent!

Nope, you failed the moment you suggested 1500+ watt PSUs and continued to insist on them. Higher wattage does not mean better quality.

Very simple, load up your cpu/gpu with a benchmark and if it crashes you may need to investigate a power issue, if it doesnt then i would play hard and have fun!

You could also a grab a killawatt and do the same thing for more information.

Arent there PSU calculators out there to help with your calculations? Still need to take into account other stuff like fans and LEDs. 1KW PSU, you got plenty dude. I'm almost positive this is a bragging post. I hope it gots lost of shiny LEDs :D

Arent there PSU calculators out there to help with your calculations? Still need to take into account other stuff like fans and LEDs. 1KW PSU, you got plenty dude. I'm almost positive this is a bragging post. I hope it gots lost of shiny LEDs :D

LED's are quite negligible

Back