Did I mess up? 1000w psu

gobstopp

n00b
So I used the calculator over at outervision.

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i7-7700K
CPU Speed: 4750MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 4 x 8GB DDR4 Module
Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Core Clock: 2022MHz
Memory Clock: 1788MHz
Storage: 2 x M.2 SSD
Other Device: 2 x Fan Controller Device
Keyboard: 1 x Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Gaming Mouse
Fan: 10 x 120mm
Fan: 4 x 120mm
Liquid Cooling Pump: 1 x EKWB EK-DDC 3.2
Computer Utilization: 8 hours per day
Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: 8 hours per day

Load Wattage: 601W
Recommended Wattage: 651W
Amperage: +3.3V: 13.1A, +5V: 12.5A, +12V: 45.4A
Recommended UPS Rating: 1100VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2017-07-27 01:46:16

Now at the bottom it recommended a 1000w evga, which I bought. Don't mind spending the money on something nice, just don't want to screw myself. This isn't my current system, I plan on adding 8 more fans and 2 fan controllers in a few months, but minus those fans and fan controller this is my current system. If I put my current system in the calculator it suggest's an 850w power supply. Near Christmas I might even be adding some led strips and a 2nd water pump, so I don't mind having a little headroom.

So I don't mind spending extra for more headroom, my concern is when my pc is idle in its current state (only 6 fans, no fan controller) would my pc be drawing such a low wattage that it might be unsafe? Some people mentioned issues when drawing low wattage on high watt psu's.

So I used the calculator over at outervision.

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i7-7700K
CPU Speed: 4750MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 4 x 8GB DDR4 Module
Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Core Clock: 2022MHz
Memory Clock: 1788MHz
Storage: 2 x M.2 SSD
Other Device: 2 x Fan Controller Device
Keyboard: 1 x Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Gaming Mouse
Fan: 10 x 120mm
Fan: 4 x 120mm
Liquid Cooling Pump: 1 x EKWB EK-DDC 3.2
Computer Utilization: 8 hours per day
Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: 8 hours per day

Load Wattage: 601W
Recommended Wattage: 651W
Amperage: +3.3V: 13.1A, +5V: 12.5A, +12V: 45.4A
Recommended UPS Rating: 1100VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2017-07-27 01:46:16

Now at the bottom it recommended a 1000w evga, which I bought. Don't mind spending the money on something nice, just don't want to screw myself. This isn't my current system, I plan on adding 8 more fans and 2 fan controllers in a few months, but minus those fans and fan controller this is my current system. If I put my current system in the calculator it suggest's an 850w power supply. Near Christmas I might even be adding some led strips and a 2nd water pump, so I don't mind having a little headroom.

So I don't mind spending extra for more headroom, my concern is when my pc is idle in its current state (only 6 fans, no fan controller) would my pc be drawing such a low wattage that it might be unsafe? Some people mentioned issues when drawing low wattage on high watt psu's.
Here's the deal with using a seriously overpowered PSU:

Your system will be idling at significantly less than 20%. And your system will be spending most of the time at or near idle. And power supplies are less efficient at less than 20% utilization than above 20%. This means that your system might end using a bit more electricity at the wall than it would have with a somewhat lower wattage PSU.

Here's the deal with using a seriously overpowered PSU:

Your system will be idling at significantly less than 20%. And your system will be spending most of the time at or near idle. And power supplies are less efficient at less than 20% utilization than above 20%. This means that your system might end using a bit more electricity at the wall than it would have with a somewhat lower wattage PSU.

Essentially this. It largely depends on the efficiency curve for that particular power supply. Some are better than others at low load.

So at idle it will lose some efficiency but otherwise it would cause no harm? I went with an evga 1000w titanium. I was going to go with the 850w but it was out of stock at the time. I can still return the 1000w and wait on an 850w, I just liked the idea of having headroom in case i wanted to expand. Currently having to upgrade my psu because last time I cheaped out, dont want to repeat that mistake.

Yeah you'll just lose some efficiency. Nothing to be concerned with.

So at idle it will lose some efficiency but otherwise it would cause no harm? I went with an evga 1000w titanium. I was going to go with the 850w but it was out of stock at the time. I can still return the 1000w and wait on an 850w, I just liked the idea of having headroom in case i wanted to expand. Currently having to upgrade my psu because last time I cheaped out, dont want to repeat that mistake.

So check this out:

upload_2017-7-27_13-11-27.jpeg

That's for a similar power supply, but you get the idea. In the "operating range", say 200-600W, you're around 90% efficient, so it's all the same between a high and lower power PSU.

Now, at idle is when you get into the "problem" area:

Say your system is 50W at idle, by this curve you're running at ~80% efficiency. That means the system pulls 62.5W from the wall, 50W is used by the computer, and 12.5W is wasted as heat in the PSU.

Lets say you got a different, smaller PSU that was 90% efficient in the 50W range. That means you'd only pull ~55W from the wall for your 50W system, wasting only 5W as heat in the PSU.

So TECHNICALLY it's better to get a properly sized power supply. In practice though, it makes very little difference in the long run.

Other than wasting money upfront and losing efficiency while idling, nothing wrong with a grossly oversized PSU.

BTW, your system really only needs 650 watts at most. Your actual load wattage will most likely be in the 500 watt range.

Back