Did I make a mistake putting my 360 for sale?

/337

Limp Gawd
I want opinions, I'm parting away with my 360. I got about 7000 gamerscore, and I had alot of fun. But I get the feeling all the games that are on the 360 are really on pc. I am more of a pc gamer and I have a high end pc. Games like oblivion can be played on pc. And it costs $400 just to play 1 game. I feel I can get around $500 for my 360 and put it into my pc. I also don't like having to pay each month for online service, aka xbox live. Did anyone else sell theres for the same reason? Don't get me wrong, I liked the system alot but I just think I can do about the same or more on my pc. I may always buy one again later down the line when more games impress me.

You pretty much got rid of your Xbox 360 for the same reasons that I didn't buy one.

I don't see the point honestly, unless you don't feel like building a PC for gaming.

u c...not all ppl will spend much money on a high end pc, b/c you can play game at a same setting if you have a 2k pc or a 360. and PC gamers have to face a lot more problems than consoles - try to get the most out of ur rig, dealing wiht CD protection, HDD space, settings and all kinds of stuff u dont expect a person w/o any pc knowledge or lazzzzzy

exe163 said:
u c...not all ppl will spend much money on a high end pc, b/c you can play game at a same setting if you have a 2k pc or a 360. and PC gamers have to face a lot more problems than consoles - try to get the most out of ur rig, dealing wiht CD protection, HDD space, settings and all kinds of stuff u dont expect a person w/o any pc knowledge or lazzzzzy
By the look of your pc specs, I don't think you have that problem.

/337 said:
I want opinions, I'm parting away with my 360. I got about 7000 gamerscore, and I had alot of fun. But I get the feeling all the games that are on the 360 are really on pc. I am more of a pc gamer and I have a high end pc. Games like oblivion can be played on pc. And it costs $400 just to play 1 game. I feel I can get around $500 for my 360 and put it into my pc. I also don't like having to pay each month for online service, aka xbox live. Did anyone else sell theres for the same reason? Don't get me wrong, I liked the system alot but I just think I can do about the same or more on my pc. I may always buy one again later down the line when more games impress me.

You will buy it again once Gears of War, Too human, Blue Dragon, and countless other exclusives drop. Right now.. its so new its like buying a Ferrari and selling it because you backed it out of the driveway, and thought... well I can back out of a driveway in my Ford so I'll sell the Ferrari.

Once the roads are built, you'll be wishing you had that Ferrari.

/337 said:
By the look of your pc specs, I don't think you have that problem.
well, i fell pretty bad for myself sometimes for spending all those money for gaming :(

but I still enjoy the process of building it(first time:p), picking parts, finding informations online( thats how i join Hardforum), and having a faster rig for every day use

and i recommand keeping it for longer (even though i hate XBOX, PS is the owner) until good titles like Halo 3, Gears of war comes out. plus you have more ppl willing to buy a xbox by then

Dude, what's up with people saying that computer gaming costs all this money just for a game or two and therefor say consoles are better. No.. total asshat comment.

PC gaming rocks the most, and always IMHO. Graphics, the amount of games... it's always going to be the best. And it never is going to die out like a console! Yeah, my computer costs more, but will you be using your XBOX360 in 3-4 years? I think not.

When buying a PC, I find it best to purchase top-of-the-line parts. This might cost you $200-500 more but it will save you wayyyy more money in the long run and you are able to game on that PC without upgrading for a few years. This is how I have always done my computers. Buy all the best shit, then use it for a few years until it is no longer any good really. Sell it, or swap it in and repeat the process. If you do it the other way, maybe around a year later you have to buy another video card ($200-300), some more ram because you didn't get enough the first time ($80-100)

Luxor said:
...but will you be using your XBOX360 in 3-4 years? I think not.

Yes I will be. I used my Xbox up until I got my 360. People are still playing their PS2s. The amount of games also depends on your tastes. I easily get 7-8 games per year per console, while with my computer it is 1 or 2 a year. I have already gotten 4 games for my 360. The last 2 games I bought for my PC were Doom3 and HL2.

I love the ease of use on consoles. Put the game in and play. I never have to mess with any graphics settings or worry about things like V-Sync and what level to set my AA and AF to get good FPS.

as for days like today, techology is growing a lot faster than u think, 2 years later you will find ur rig in the mid-low class. as for console, everyone have the same spec for 5 years, sure it will get old, but games are designed to run best on the materials of console and will get the most out of it. and no more worries about FPS, over heat, n00b haxors, and you-got-pwn-because-your-pc-sux. and games can be played rite out of da box. again, consoles are for ppl only cares about gaming (not money, no complex works, and no more than just wats in the game)IMO. of cource i agree with u, i love PC gaming, finding mods increase the value of a 50 dallor worth game. dling prons while playing single player (just kidding :D ), but sometimes, i just want to have some pure gaming...no installation problem, popup ads,spyware that cause you lag.

waiting for godlike PS3 to get the full use of my free time( instead of saying !@#$ when BSOD comes out of nowhere)

lol i hate waiting...
after owning AI, Pr0n for reward (dont take it too seriously, jk)

brom42 said:
Yes I will be. I used my Xbox up until I got my 360. People are still playing their PS2s. The amount of games also depends on your tastes. I easily get 7-8 games per year per console, while with my computer it is 1 or 2 a year. I have already gotten 4 games for my 360. The last 2 games I bought for my PC were Doom3 and HL2.

I love the ease of use on consoles. Put the game in and play. I never have to mess with any graphics settings or worry about things like V-Sync and what level to set my AA and AF to get good FPS.
And you have a 7900GTX? Come on...you must be kidding.

TheOmniscientCreator said:
I was JUST about to post that, and I saw your post :)

Pwople with SLi rigs a rebitching about how they don't like PC gaming. Uh......dude? I don't think there's too much more to say.

It's not that we don't like gaming on our PC's, it's just that it's expensive to keep upgrading everytime a new graphics card comes out.
The last game I bought for my PC was F.E.A.R., and while it ran well on my 6600GTOC, I don't think many more new games will.
I can't justify upgrading to 7800/900 (especially with DX10 cards around the corner) just to play Oblivion with a decent framerate and resolution (when it finally comes out on Friday (UK)) when I can play it on my 360 without having to upgrade. ( I am currently using my DELL widescreen monitor for both my PC and 360)
(and I still play on my old X-Box, PS2 and Gamecube as well as my 360).

TheOmniscientCreator said:

The reason I have a 7900GTX is because I needed a DVI dual link card to run my Dell 3007FPW. I only have one of the cards, and it would have trouble playing current games at my LCD's native resolution (2560X1600) unless I got a second one. The card is further stretched out by the fact it also has to drive a second 20.1" LCD. Yes I have a computer that is a great gaming machine, and its primary use is surfing the web.

brom42 said:
The reason I have a 7900GTX is because I needed a DVI dual link card to run my Dell 3007FPW. I only have one of the cards, and it would have trouble playing current games at my LCD's native resolution (2560X1600) unless I got a second one. The card is further stretched out by the fact it also has to drive a second 20.1" LCD. Yes I have a computer that is a great gaming machine, and its primary use is surfing the web.
Wow. So you have to buy a $1,500 PC to surf the WEB?!?!?!

I'm happy gaming on a $500 PC, sheesh.

games right now are not even taking full advantage of the hardware for the 360.

you show me a game that is programmed to utilize the 3 hyperthreaded cores on it.

thats why i havent bought it, yet.

I think what it comes down to is, do you like tinkering and tweaking? If not, console gaming is great. But if you like that sort of thing, PC gaming is the way to go. I try to get some of both in, although I definitely play a lot more console games (last pc game I bought was FarCry, and even then I bought it last summer for $20).

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Wow. So you have to buy a $1,500 PC to surf the WEB?!?!?!

I'm happy gaming on a $500 PC, sheesh.

I wish it was that cheap. My 3007FPW alone cost $1700. I quickly added up my current system and to rebuy everything today it would cost $4495.95. (not everything is listed in my sig for my main rig) :eek: I am guilty of liking new hardware. Everytime new lines of processors, sockets come out; I can only resist for so long before I give in. I am lucky enough to have a large amount of disposible income, otherwise I don't know what I would do.

brom42 said:
I wish it was that cheap. My 3007FPW alone cost $1700. I quickly added up my current system and to rebuy everything today it would cost $4495.95. (not everything is listed in my sig for my main rig) :eek: I am guilty of liking new hardware. Everytime new lines of processors, sockets come out; I can only resist for so long before I give in. I am lucky enough to have a large amount of disposible income, otherwise I don't know what I would do.
Damn. It would take me about 3 years to get a rig like that :/.

So I have a venice, :p

Luxor said:
Yeah, my computer costs more, but will you be using your XBOX360 in 3-4 years? I think not.
Can't imagine you using your pc in 4 years either...new PC 3-4k and always riddled with hardware and driver issues for the mostpart, new console 1000 bucks including games and extras.......and with downloadable content and so much xbox live is a brilliant idea....

Luxor said:
Dude, what's up with people saying that computer gaming costs all this money just for a game or two and therefor say consoles are better. No.. total asshat comment.

PC gaming rocks the most, and always IMHO. Graphics, the amount of games... it's always going to be the best. And it never is going to die out like a console! Yeah, my computer costs more, but will you be using your XBOX360 in 3-4 years? I think not.

:D :confused: :D

What in the world are you smoking man?

I have the original xbox....I still play it...I have the Xbox 360...I play it. I have a 4GHZ PC, I play it...My favorite right now = Xbox360 - The games for Xbox360 are better right now than what is on PC. I loved Kameo, Loved Fight Night3, enjoyed playing through PD0, and am enjoying playing all the demo's out on Live. WWII angels demo looks very promising. So console games don't suck, and for the issue about not playing the console in 3-4 years? Um yeah you will. --- If I had been smart enough to keep my atari 2600 I still would play it occassionally.

as to your comment about PC's costing more, and the xbox being outdated three to four years? Well lets think about this. To get the gaming power of the xbox360 in a PC you are going to have to pay about $1500, you say you buy the best of the best every 2-3 years. So assuming you buy two computers at $1500 a piece over the those 3-4 years you spent $3000, while Mr. Joe Blow xbox player pays $400. Pretty significant difference.

Things like Starforce are the single biggest problem with PC Gaming. If it is a choice between playing a game on a console or on a PC and the game is protected by Starforce, I am going to get the Console version.

Archaea said:
:D :confused: :D

What in the world are you smoking man?

I have the original xbox....I still play it...I have the Xbox 360...I play it. I have a 4GHZ PC, I play it...My favorite right now = Xbox360 - The games for Xbox360 are better right now than what is on PC. I loved Kameo, Loved Fight Night3, enjoyed playing through PD0, and am enjoying playing all the demo's out on Live. WWII angels demo looks very promising. So console games don't suck, and for the issue about not playing the console in 3-4 years? Um yeah you will. --- If I had been smart enough to keep my atari 2600 I still would play it occassionally.

as to your comment about PC's costing more, and the xbox being outdated three to four years? Well lets think about this. To get the gaming power of the xbox360 in a PC you are going to have to pay about $1500, you say you buy the best of the best every 2-3 years. So assuming you buy two computers at $1500 a piece over the those 3-4 years you spent $3000, while Mr. Joe Blow xbox player pays $400. Pretty significant difference.

while i side with you on the longevity of consoles... cost isnt entirely accurate. HDTV's are not cheap, and they are a must have for the 360.

Luxor said:

When buying a PC, I find it best to purchase top-of-the-line parts. This might cost you $200-500 more but it will save you wayyyy more money in the long run and you are able to game on that PC without upgrading for a few years. This is how I have always done my computers. Buy all the best shit, then use it for a few years until it is no longer any good really. Sell it, or swap it in and repeat the process. If you do it the other way, maybe around a year later you have to buy another video card ($200-300), some more ram because you didn't get enough the first time ($80-100)

Oh where do I begin ..... :rolleyes:

A consoles life is typically 5 years. Most 'hardcore' pc gamers upgrade every 2 years. Using Oblivion as an example... why spend $1400 upgrading your PC to play the game on your 19" monitor when you can spend just $400 and play it on whatever size TV you'd like ?

The line between consoles and pc's graphically/performance-wise has nearly dissapeared. Whereas in the past, the pc gamer clearly went that route for graphics and perfomance, now a days, next gen consoles are matching and even now OUTPEFORMING top notch $1500+ gaming pc's.

You're arugment is moot and minimum, and clearly not well thought out.

Jason711 said:
while i side with you on the longevity of consoles... cost isnt entirely accurate. HDTV's are not cheap, and they are a must have for the 360.

You can buy a HDTV for $500 if you shop, or play it on your SDTV, or play it on your existing computer monitor is HD resolutions ...

Next ?

I don't know. I can spend $600 and get an all around PC, with games. Same with a 360 :/

Still, the PC games, imo, are much better due to:
mods
patches
expansion packs
etc...

Preference, to each his own.

FF7 remade with Advent Children's GFX would be the PS3's HALO.

yea just with out advent children's lack of story and a much better plot... god i wasted my time getting that movie...

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
I don't know. I can spend $600 and get an all around PC, with games. Same with a 360 :/

Still, the PC games, imo, are much better due to:
mods
patches
expansion packs
etc...

Preference, to each his own.

$600 gaming rig that can match a next gen console in perfomance ? Please lists the specs ....

The 360 for example cost less the just a high end video card these days. You still have to build the rest of the computer, lol ... consoles are becoming the easier, smarter and more cost effective route.

You guys just wait and see ... and more and more and more games come out that cripple nearly high end gaming pcs, but run like butter on consoles ... people ARE going to switch.

7600gt
3200+ Venice
Fortron
DVD Burner
120GB HDD
2GB RAM

Don't ask, I pulled it off :)

It can do so much more than a 360 can. I would rather have a PC and no 360, than a 360 and no PC.

Dude, if you are like me, you just prefer to play on a PC. I own both a PC and a 360, but I bought oblivion for the PC just because I prefer to play it on a PC.

But some games like Resident Evil and Gears of War just never see the light of day on the PC for some reason. So that is why I own a 360. Not to mention 4 way on a large HDTV is fun too.

brom42 said:

That's exactly why my grandmother uses AOL.

So now that Oblivion is out for the PC and Xbox360, does anyone know the monetary equivelent rate between the 360 and a home built PC? I mean how much money does it cost to build a computer that is as fast as the 360? (Not accounting other factors like PC having more potential, hardware price shifts, etc.)

All I know is that my PC can do many, many, many, different things that a console can't. Thats why I pay the extra money because I can have a superior machine that beats a 360 and also surfs the web, edits video and photos, and a multitude of other things. What will the hardware be like next year? Bigger and badder than ever but the X-box 360 will be stuck the way it is at least with a PC I have the option of upgrading.

Well, I just picked up a 360 2 days ago for Oblivion. I was thinking about upgrading my video card and adding more memory to play the PC version. Unfortunately, for the price of a 360, I can only get a high mid end card and some average 1gb RAM. Then what??? With a 360, I can still play other games or games worth playing. For the PC, I couldn't think of any. WOW is not my type of game. I don't have the time to play online RPG. FEAR is OK. Done Far Cry and Half Life 2.

The graphics in 360 Oblivion look great. There are many instances you would just stare at the wall and wondering whether or not objects were pre-rendered. :D I got a 43" HDTV.

theNoid said:
You can buy a HDTV for $500 if you shop, or play it on your SDTV, or play it on your existing computer monitor is HD resolutions ...

Next ?

yeah. what res and quality would that set be?

at the very least 1080i if it was made in the last year, if it was an older model i'd say it would support probably 720p max

Luxor said:

Thats kind of n00bish imho. Personally, I bought a San Diego 3700+ for 300 bucks a long time ago, bought a 50 dollar zalmann heatsink, and overclocked it to 2.8ghz. Now it runs faster than an FX-57 because of the HTT, and the overclocked ram. This cost me like what? 350dollars, and my computer is faster than a 1000 dollar processor thats still the fastest on the market....
Knowledge is power, not money. Spending thousands on the best shit is wasteful.

Back