Did I kill my system? (It keeps resetting quickly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurrentlyNotHere

Weaksauce
I finished putting together my 2nd machine last night and there is a serious problem. Every time I actually plug in the power cord in the back of the PSU the system automatically powers-on and then keeps resetting. (no need to press the power button even) Keeps resetting several times per second until I unplug the cord. All the fans keep revving up, and down, monitor keeps shutting on and off really quickly, the lights on my front temperature monitoring bay (AeroGate II) keeps flashing really fast.

The only new thing in this computer is the video card. All of the other componets come from my old (working system). I tried unplugging all the devices (from internal power cords), except the two cables for the motherboard, but same happens. I'm affraid if I keep doing these tests I will kill my system. (Unless its already dead) I mean, it resets like 2-3 times per seconds. (The hard-drive keeps spining up and down)

Only thing I can think of is that I might have scratched the mobo on the back, but I don't think it's that serious (the scratch) Anyone have any ideas?

First thing I would check is the case front panel connections at the motherboard. Have you got the right connectors on the proper pins? The "power On signal" is just a momentary contact. If you've got something else attached to the power switch pins like maybe "power LED" then the motherboard/PSU thinks you are asking it to turn on/off/on/off.....

Next make sure you have the 20/24 pin and 4 pin power cables from the PSU oriented properly. You may have created a short that is telling the PSU to turn on/off.

Finally, check to make sure the motherboard is not shorted to the case somehow. You can do this by removing the motherboard from the case and laying it on a piece of plywood or other non-conductive surface like cardboard.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back