Did I install this motherboard incorrectly?

erkan

Gawd
My dads mobo got toasted some how, soo we ordered a new and installed it last night. After completing the install, when trying to boot up for the first time, it would just get a quick bolt of power(fans and lights would turn on for a half second) then die. Then, for no obvious reason, the computer turned on for good. Now though, the computer randomy turns off for no apparnt reason. Im guessing the mobo or somehting is getting shorted out somewhere or its somehitng power related. Perhaps I didnt install the mobo correctly, all i did was set the mobo down directly into the metal case and screwed it in in the proper screw holes. Help pease!

There should be pegs that go with the board that are designed to keep the mobo from touching the actual case. I highly suggest using them, as there is a LARGE chance of shorting the board and messing shit up.

::EDIT:: They're about half an inch in size or so, and they go in between teh case and the board. The screws go through them...if you do'nt use them, you risk grounding the board.

sorry, i should have been more clear, I did use the pegs and the mobo is setting on top of them(screwed in).

Good to hear... I had this image of the board being bolted to the case, with all the underside traces touching the metal.

Hrm, well, there are alot of reasons as to why the comp would be shutting down randomly. Here's the list:

Bad memory
Bad PSU
Bad Mobo

Those, I believe, are the most common. I suggest running memtest to find out if the memory is bad. Bad memory will cause all sorts of retarded problems, as will a bad PSU. Also, make sure everything is connected properly, and make sure all of the fans are working, including the one inside the PSU. It might help to check the temps while the computer is on. There are so many things that can be causing this problem, but the more you test and isolate, the more info we have to help you out. :)

okay, i will try those things...but you dont think the board could still be shorting out somewhere?

At work had the same thing happen to a Intel board. Random reboots ended up being the mobo.

erkan said:
My dads mobo got toasted some how, soo we ordered a new and installed it last night. After completing the install, when trying to boot up for the first time, it would just get a quick bolt of power(fans and lights would turn on for a half second) then die. Then, for no obvious reason, the computer turned on for good. Now though, the computer randomy turns off for no apparnt reason. Im guessing the mobo or somehting is getting shorted out somewhere or its somehitng power related. Perhaps I didnt install the mobo correctly, all i did was set the mobo down directly into the metal case and screwed it in in the proper screw holes. Help pease!
Perhaps you fried the RAM too? Perhaps the PSU caused the original mobo to fry, and it's bad.

If it's not booting build the PC outside the case on a non-conductive surface (if it is shorting, this will prevent it). The mobo box will work fine for this.

Only connect the hardware required to boot. Mobo, CPU, HSF, memory (one stick at a time), PSU. Does it boot? Yes=add more components until its fully built outside the case. No=swap parts, one at a time.

cool, i will try these things, u guys are the best! i wish i could kiss you all

more than likely, you have a short somewhere if the fans/lights flicker on briefly and then turn on when you power the PC on

ither theres a short in something or you got a problem with your psu, doubt its ram though, run memtest on it, and get a multimeter to test your psu

Back