Did I Get The Wrong Drives For My WHS Build?

DiscreteMeat

Limp Gawd
Well, I made one of the cardinal sins of computer building; I bought parts spread out over several months. In October of 2009 there was a Shell Shocker deal on These WD 1.5TB Green Drives . At the time I was thinking about building a WHS box. So when this damn SS deal popped up I jumped and bought three because at that time $99.99 w/free ship was a smoking price.

Fast forward almost 7 months later and I still haven't got around to building that WHS box. I have just about everything I need except a case and PSU, and I was about to order that stuff just to finally get this project finished, But now I'm wondering if I should sell those WD 1.5 drives and get what I can for them (they're brand new never been opened) and get either:

A.) This WD 1.5 Green Drive.
or
B.) Go for the 2TB variety.

Both these drives state:
"Long-Term Reliability - These drives are designed to last in high temperature always-on streaming digital audio/video environments."

Since the WHS box hasn't been assembled yet, would it be worth it to go for these newer drives or would you just use the older version drives I already have?

I would use the old drives you already have. By the time the warranty is up on the drives your going to be putting in bigger drives in the server anyways. Eventually if you need more space you can add the newer green drives to your motherboard.

I, too, was thinking that using what I have is also probably the way to go. But man, several of the last few reviews on the Egg seems that these drives are cause for concern.

It's that kind of the mantra of putting together a WHS?

I reckon that's what most folks do, use what they have. Are you asking if that's the common theme for a WHS build?

I'm going to use what I have, as y'all have suggested. You're advice, along with seeing that the fellow building the 100TB Home Media Server is using the exact same drives I have (except his are the 2TB version) solidifies that there's no reason not to use what I have.

Thanks for the help. ;)

I have been using 4 of these drives (WD15EADS) in my server for 6 months now, and have had no issues as of yet, if this helps you any.

I too have several green drives in my setups one of them beign a WHS with no issue. They run cool, and are very reliable.

Back