Did I get the word luck on CPU draw, or am I doing it wrong? Gurus, enlighten me!

TheDarkTao

Gawd
So first the specs of my brand new rig :D

Asus maximus VI formula
Corsair ax1200i PSU
4x8 gigs corsair dominator 1866 ram
Corsair h100i (I would normally NEVER run a AIO just waiting for parts for custom loop) :(
GTX 780 reference
Corsair 760t case
256 gb m550 ssd
Windows 8.1 (dont worry I use classic shell) ;)

So here is the thing... I can do NOTHING to get past 4.3ghz which seems redonk. I was figuring with this config even with a bad chip I should hit at least 4.5 with decent volts.

FYI I am an old skool OC'er. Back when white out or nail polish was the way to get from 300 to 450mhz. :cool: My last rig was a q9450 that managed to go back and forth in the number 1 and 2 spot here on hard. But I have not oc'ed since then, since that rig has lasted me this long!

I read a fair amount, but was blown away by how many options there are in the new asus bios! I tried to catch up on all the settings... but may be doing it wrong.

Long story short, no matter the core voltage I cannot seem to get this chip past 4.3. I increased core to 1.35 no good... input to almost 2 volts didnt help. Tried to toy with other settings, and nothing seems to make this chip stable at 4400.

Are there any key settings I should be looking at? I also feel my temps are REALLY high... usually in the 80s even at 1.2 volts and 4.3... It seems to be prime stable there.

I hate having to ask, but google was only somewhat my friend :rolleyes: So am I missing a new key oc setting? I locked the ram, and I have that BLCK thing set at 100.

Thanks guys, man I feel like a total noob... maybe I just hit the freaking worst of the bin lottery on the cpu... but I am hoping it could be something else!

-Always grateful for the help!

TDT

Have you tried running your cpu cache multiplier lower? If I run at 4.5ghz my cache multi has to be 38-39, higher than that and it will freeze occasionally.

Don't change anything else, and run that cache multi at 38...see if that improves stability.

If you run the cache at more than 3 less than the cpu, you lose a bit of pure performance, but you can offset that by the higher clock speed.

My sweet spot is 4.4ghz @1.21v, cpu cache at 39.

But I can run 4.5ghz easily at 1.225v and cache at 38, I normally only run this when benching since the cpu runs 3-4 c cooler at the slightly lower speed.

Long time overclocker here as well, remember using wires laid into the sockets of amd rigs, defroster wire painting the dots too?

Try first of all update your motherboard BIOS to the latest one (if you haven't already).. reset all settings to default and just change multiplier to the desired with all in auto.. if you are able to post and do some bench, thats the fastest way to know how far can a chip overclock then you start to mess with voltage and cache..

another long time overclocker here.. =) i remember those time of overclock by jumper to set FSB and Multiplier...

Have you tried running your cpu cache multiplier lower? If I run at 4.5ghz my cache multi has to be 38-39, higher than that and it will freeze occasionally.

Don't change anything else, and run that cache multi at 38...see if that improves stability.

If you run the cache at more than 3 less than the cpu, you lose a bit of pure performance, but you can offset that by the higher clock speed.

My sweet spot is 4.4ghz @1.21v, cpu cache at 39.

But I can run 4.5ghz easily at 1.225v and cache at 38, I normally only run this when benching since the cpu runs 3-4 c cooler at the slightly lower speed.

Long time overclocker here as well, remember using wires laid into the sockets of amd rigs, defroster wire painting the dots too?

I did try that... but I will give it a shot once more. I cannot remember where I locked my chache at...

Sadly I never did that with amd chips : ( I did switch over to AMD during the 64bit opter(own) period where you could buy the optron CPUs for cheap and they just kicked ass.

Lemme get back to you with how the cache effects things...

Try first of all update your motherboard BIOS to the latest one (if you haven't already).. reset all settings to default and just change multiplier to the desired with all in auto.. if you are able to post and do some bench, thats the fastest way to know how far can a chip overclock then you start to mess with voltage and cache..

another long time overclocker here.. =) i remember those time of overclock by jumper to set FSB and Multiplier...

Yeah the good ol' days... Remember how good 90s music was ;)

Ah.... we are already old while somewhat young, baby-boomers, we own ya on nostalgia!

I did update the bios (1603 I believe). I think I tried once just OCing with everything on auto. Usually I get a decent clock that way with a small voltage jump. At least always before I had good results... maybe just luck? I will see soon. I am hoping I don't just have a crappy chip... I have also been wondering if the h100i could be crappy...

Before change coolers first delid that Baby. The real potential of those chips are after being delided... the h100i its in fact kinda overkill for that chip if you do not delid it. Because the crappy TIM used by intel will really limit the cooling performance of any cooler even custom water.. so unless you delid it the performance delta between any high end cooler will be worthless. You Will certainly make the chip run at 100c before being able to reach the limit of for example a hyper212 and from that point to any higher end cooler the difference will be low.

I read many articles before trying my 4770k delid+OC, and I hit a wall at ~4.2 as well before having to adjust all non-core related items to squeeze 4.5 out of my chip. I had to turn hyperthreading off and can only run my RAM at 1866 CAS 9 (which I'm ok with), and northbridge of 4200. Core @ 1.36v, adjustments had to be made to system agent voltage (+.240) and IO voltage (both analog and digital +.190).

My board is a MSI Z87 GD65-Gaming and cooler is a NZXT Kraken x60 with 2x Noctua NF-A14s (push) on a fan controller. Benchmarking on my silent profile I top out at 90c, on my loud profile I barely break 80c. In the end though, I don't notice any truly appreciable difference between 4.2 and 4.5, and with 4.2 I didn't have to do anything other than increasing vcore and multiplier.

To be honest, with my 4670k at stock clocks, I can tell ZERO difference in actual games. CPU loads are only in the 35-50 % range when gaming. The video card is doing all the work.

These i5's and i7's are beasts!

To be honest, with my 4670k at stock clocks, I can tell ZERO difference in actual games. CPU loads are only in the 35-50 % range when gaming. The video card is doing all the work.

These i5's and i7's are beasts!

thats true 90% of the time, but there are some games that really benefit from high clocked chips specially to game at high 100+FPS and maintain high minimums. or older games that play in 1 or 2 cores..

I have only played Metro Redux and Last Light, as well as replaying Crysis (with modded texture packs).

Anything older than that...sheesh...

I am looking for a new online shooter that is good to look at, AND has decent gameplay...and not the CoD crap out now...the last good CoD was Modern Warfare. The new shit is too gimmicky with all of the streaks and build options...IMO.

Welp, after enough tweaking I can get to 4.5.... but I think my ram is possibly holding me back? When I first ran the system it was not stable. I could not figure out why. Then I noticed it did not register all 32gb ram. I re-mounted all the sticks, and then it worked just fine. Never had that before.. but hey.

I just lost stability at 4.3, it freaked me out. I then went into bios and found the trick was turning off XMP.

Is there an issue with running 4 sticks vs 2 with i7s?

Welp, after enough tweaking I can get to 4.5.... but I think my ram is possibly holding me back? When I first ran the system it was not stable. I could not figure out why. Then I noticed it did not register all 32gb ram. I re-mounted all the sticks, and then it worked just fine. Never had that before.. but hey.

I just lost stability at 4.3, it freaked me out. I then went into bios and found the trick was turning off XMP.

Is there an issue with running 4 sticks vs 2 with i7s?

When overclocking, sometimes. The IMC works slightly more with 4 sticks when compared to 2, but I would sacrifice a little extra OC to have additional RAM without question, if I was doing something that needed that much. Personally, I have 2x8GB, and barely use half of that during my most intensive tasks, but I don't do photo/video editing, virtual machines, or RAMdisk applications.

Congrats on finally getting to 4.5, I hope she remains stable for a very long time. If you find minor issues with stability in the future and don't need the extra RAM, removing two sticks -might- be the answer, but for now I'd call this a win. Don't forget to make sure your temps are in the acceptable range, and if not there are plenty of guides and videos on how to delid. It sounds scary, but if you're careful its easy, and the fastest way to drop between 10-20c.

Welp bad news....

It seems the 4.5 was only stable for a while... back to the good ol' 4.3 : (

Any other tips ladies n gentz???

How/why was it failing? Were you getting a BSOD? If so, did the code suggest a clock error or kernel error? What were your temperatures when it failed? What were you doing to make it fail? What did you change from before to get to 4.5?

Without any additional information, my only suggestion would be to turn HT off. I couldn't get mine 4.5 stable until that happened.

Do you have the RAM set to 1866MHz still? Try underclocking to 1600 or 1333 then setting the timings to 9-9-9-27. Do each one at a time, so change it to 1600, try overclock, attempt 9-9-9-27, try again, reset to 9-10-9-27 and try 1333, try again, set to 9-9-9-27 at 1333, try again. If that doesn't work, up the clock speed by 5 at a time while while lowering the exchange on the multiplier.

word-up-g-high-rez-400x250.jpg

someone I know couldn't do 4.4ghz until he selected 44 multiplier on all four cores using "per core" instead of "sync all cores"

try that, and btw, what are you using to test the cpu?

Ok...

Will try all the tips.

I do have all cores locked. I will try unlocking. I jacked the voltage up to 1.32 (1.35 or so in CPUz) and increased the input to 2.0. I then change the BLCK strap. Doing so made it boot stable, but prime crashed.

I am testing this all in prime 95. I am 4.3 stable for hours and tons of game.

The Failure was always under prime. The temps were around 80. I find at a bit over 80, my cpu starts to throttle some. I thought this didnt happen till higher, but it does. I cannot recall which BSOD I got. I don't think prime has really ever errored actually.... in my old comp prime would error but no BSOD, now its the other way around.

I will try tweaking the ram next.

Thanks for feedback!

Yeah think you might have gone a little overboard on that PSU?

~ "M"

Yeah think you might have gone a little overboard on that PSU?

Better to go overboard than underboard. You'd get water all over the deck and the ship would sink.

Last edited:
lol I may go dual 980 gtx ; ) and oc the hell outa the chip... if it would just be stable ; ) I may switch to 4790k... I did find out the code may have to do with my ram... investigating....

lol I may go dual 980 gtx ; ) and oc the hell outa the chip... if it would just be stable ; ) I may switch to 4790k... I did find out the code may have to do with my ram... investigating....

I have the same problem and the same error code, can't get passed 4.2ghz.

Let me know if you find what the issue is.

Back