Did I get Sold a Broken 2080 Ti?

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, I got a Asus Strix 2080 Ti from reddit user. Paid through Paypal invoice.
My rig:
10850K @ 5Ghz
Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 MHz
Corsair RM 750W
Windows 10 64 bit 20H2
Strix 2080 Ti stock clocks On Nvida driver 452.06

My scores in benchmarks seem to be below the average:

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_20839_1635633156.png

1635717911001.png

In comparison to these:
https://www.pctestbench.com/asus-rog-strix-rtx-2080-ti-review/4/
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_rog_strix_preview,22.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_rog_strix_preview,23.html

And my performance in CBP 2077 is so poor. I get 30 fps with DLSS and Ultra settings on 4K. While these guys get 45 fps and sometimes 60 fps in CBP 2077:

Did you use two separate PSU cables or a single cable with a double end? Sometimes GPUs can be unhappy with only one cable.

Hi guys, I got a Asus Strix 2080 Ti from reddit user. Paid through Paypal invoice.
My rig:
10850K @ 5Ghz
Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 MHz
Corsair RM 750W
Windows 10 64 bit 20H2
Strix 2080 Ti stock clocks On Nvida driver 452.06

My scores in benchmarks seem to be below the average:

View attachment 408227

View attachment 408228

In comparison to these:
https://www.pctestbench.com/asus-rog-strix-rtx-2080-ti-review/4/
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_rog_strix_preview,22.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_rog_strix_preview,23.html

And my performance in CBP 2077 is so poor. I get 30 fps with DLSS and Ultra settings on 4K. While these guys get 45 fps and sometimes 60 fps in CBP 2077:

Is your clock speed stuck at 1350 mhz?

And make sure that is wasn't flashed with a "mining" BIOS for efficiency over pure performance. Just stabbing in the dark on this as I'm not sure it applies to Nvidia, but I got a used AMD RX580 a couple years ago that was flashed for mining and had horrible performance in Distributing Computing work compared to an identical card I bought brand new.

That looks like 1 cable with a Y. You should use 2 separate cables.
But my clocks are boosting to 1800mhz. The cable itself is from the Powersupply. Not a splitter cable I used. How can we know for sure its a power issue with the cable?

The psu cable is not the issue. I’m absolutely sure of that. People have been using those oem cables for years, with absolutely no real problem.

Update your drivers, do a clean install, see what’s happens then.

We need to put together all the advice into a concise list that op can review one by one and let us know if any of the steps deliver the performance expected.

I'll attempt to summarize all the advice here, feel free to have me rearrange or add/remove lines.

-make sure the card is seated properly in the PCI-E Slot
-Connect an approved PSU on the proper rails into the duel 8-pin connectors.
-Check bios to see what is being reported and that all bios settings are properly adhered to for a 2080ti class gpu
-Post a screenshot of what GPUz is reporting for your card at stock
-Do a clean uninstall - full wipe of any video drivers currently on your system (ask for help or do a forum search for best practices in ensuring you get a full reset)
-Download and install the most current Nvidia Drivers
-Update the GPU bios from the vendor website only, with the most current build.

Let us know once you've double checked the list, additionally, do you have any manual changes to your bios for your cpu or ram that could be affecting performance? Sometimes Ram can significantly limit your performance if not set accordingly. Have you modified anything in a program life afterburner trying to improve performance on the gpu?

I'd like suggest a really dumb idea because performance takes a hit across the board.. you mention 3600 Mhz ram, but not capacity / timings / nor if it's dual channel in your rig, just throwing it out there.

edit, just saw capacity in screenshots, but the rest of the details are important

I'd like suggest a really dumb idea because performance takes a hit across the board.. you mention 3600 Mhz ram, but not capacity / timings / nor if it's dual channel in your rig, just throwing it out there.

edit, just saw capacity in screenshots, but the rest of the details are important
That's nice RAM. it isn't that. Even if the timings were really loose like 23...it isn't that.

probably not but single channel would make a noticeable impact

We need to put together all the advice into a concise list that op can review one by one and let us know if any of the steps deliver the performance expected.

I'll attempt to summarize all the advice here, feel free to have me rearrange or add/remove lines.

-make sure the card is seated properly in the PCI-E Slot
-Connect an approved PSU on the proper rails into the duel 8-pin connectors.
-Check bios to see what is being reported and that all bios settings are properly adhered to for a 2080ti class gpu
-Post a screenshot of what GPUz is reporting for your card at stock
-Do a clean uninstall - full wipe of any video drivers currently on your system (ask for help or do a forum search for best practices in ensuring you get a full reset)
-Download and install the most current Nvidia Drivers
-Update the GPU bios from the vendor website only, with the most current build.

Let us know once you've double checked the list, additionally, do you have any manual changes to your bios for your cpu or ram that could be affecting performance? Sometimes Ram can significantly limit your performance if not set accordingly. Have you modified anything in a program life afterburner trying to improve performance on the gpu?

I bought it used. The guy told me he didn't mine with the card but I have no way to know that.

The card looks like its seated well.
-I connected an additional PCI-E cable
1635742503085.png

oldmanbal

Is there a way to know or check if the bios is a proper ASUS bios or a mining bios that was flashed over it?

So all the hubbub in this thread is because the card is running 6-7% slower than some review sample? Its either your gpu temps or something else entirely. Try setting fan speed to 75% and run the benchmark again.

The GPU has never hit 70C. The cooling is not the issue. I have updated the drivers to 496 and the results are the same. And CBP 2077 still performs worse than shown in those youtube videos:

1635745355971.png

1635745402352.png

1635745336572.png

While it shouldnt matter much, is the card set to quiet mode or performance mode (bios switch on the card)? ~ only flip when powered off

It’s not like this card is abnormally slow. It doesn’t appear there is anything actually wrong with it OP. I’d be happy and just use it.

yup scores look fine now, the 3dmark came up into the "normal" range. op, even if you built two identical systems sided by side and tested, there would still be a variance. so go game.

Take benchmarks with a grain of salt. Unless it's significantly underperforming, those numbers are in line with the 2x 2080ti I've had, and I had an asus and an evga 2080ti and they performed within 5% of each other. Do not expect to hit peak numbers run on a bench of some website, their systems are fresh installs and open cases most of the time where you are simply coming from an upgrade. Little things like virus scanners, background applications, windows patches and settings can vary the scores dramatically.

Something else to consider: In the synthetic benchmarks like Superposition and Timespy, the CPU makes an outsized difference, relative to its importance to gaming. If you have two runs with the same graphics card, but different CPUs, you'd expect the scores to be different, without any difference expected in the gaming experience, necessarily.

yup scores look fine now, the 3dmark came up into the "normal" range. op, even if you built two identical systems sided by side and tested, there would still be a variance. so go game.
He did say that Cyberpunk runs worse than expected. Maybe that's the game he wants to play?

As everyone else said, OP, make sure you have the current drivers installed and try playing some games again. Also, make SURE that the settings are the same as the youtube video you're comparing to. If you have ray traced shadows on, but they left them off, you'll see dramatically different results, but not necessarily a noticeable difference to a Youtube video.

Something else to consider: In the synthetic benchmarks like Superposition and Timespy, the CPU makes an outsized difference, relative to its importance to gaming. If you have two runs with the same graphics card, but different CPUs, you'd expect the scores to be different, without any difference expected in the gaming experience, necessarily.

He did say that Cyberpunk runs worse than expected. Maybe that's the game he wants to play?

As everyone else said, OP, make sure you have the current drivers installed and try playing some games again. Also, make SURE that the settings are the same as the youtube video you're comparing to. If you have ray traced shadows on, but they left them off, you'll see dramatically different results, but not necessarily a noticeable difference to a Youtube video.

There's a huge difference in performance depending on what DLSS setting you select in Cyberpunk. He didn't specify which, so chances are he's running higher quality settings than his card can reliably handle.

and? he didnt provide any new info on that, how could i address it?! hes also comparing different cpu gens...
the system is fine, he just needs to go game. or if its not say/show otherwise.

OP I wouldn't worry about this result, I have a 2080ti under an EK block and it only scores 1500-2000 pts higher in Time Spy (normal, not extreme). I'd say your scores fall within the correct range.

If you need to tinker and get the score a little higher:
  • Pull the cooler and repaste, do new pads. Blow any dust or crud off of the heatsink fan if you find any.
  • Use two separate power cord to two separate connectors on your PSU.
  • Try manually bumping the core and memory clocks a bit with afterburner.

There's a huge difference in performance depending on what DLSS setting you select in Cyberpunk. He didn't specify which, so chances are he's running higher quality settings than his card can reliably handle.
and? he didnt provide any new info on that, how could i address it?! hes also comparing different cpu gens...
the system is fine, he just needs to go game. or if its not say/show otherwise.
I am using DLSS quality setting. 4k Ultra Settings. pendragon1 pippenainteasy

I am running the same settings as this video:

Back