Did I get a bad MoBo?

scojer

[H]F Junkie
I just got the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 and everything worked just fine.

Booted it up, installed Windows, downloaded new BIOS updated it, rebooted just fine.

The Motherboard software updated with windows updates,
reset computer.

It won't post

I tried to boot from the backup bios
that didn't work.

The LED display is listing 4 codes:
90, 15, 65, and 3E

The manual/online I can't find much for these codes

Tried one stick RAM in the two slots, same with the other stick.

Tried without GPU
re-seated CPU

cleared CMOS
removed battery.

I'm out of ideas at this point. Anyone else have any ideas?

Rest of system:
Ryzen 1700
GEiL Super Luce RGB DDR4 PC3000 (2x8GB)
GTX 1070
1000W PSU

That's just a fucking insane procedure! Why can't manufacturers still get their shit together when it comes to CMOS, especially when there is 2 of them! I'm staying away from Ryzen and APU builds for at least another year. What a fucking disaster. I really feel bad for anyone who's had the stupid problems with the new AMD hardware builds.

That's just a fucking insane procedure! Why can't manufacturers still get their shit together when it comes to CMOS, especially when there is 2 of them! I'm staying away from Ryzen and APU builds for at least another year. What a fucking disaster. I really feel bad for anyone who's had the stupid problems with the new AMD hardware builds.

Fuck if you think thats bad, try messing with a dfi lanparty board from back in the day.

To reset the bios took anywhere from 8 hours to days, never mind the absolute mindfuck it was just to set it up. < no shit.

DFi, Now thats a fucking insane procedure.

I got RAM to test it, still didn't work.

I tried everything. I'm RMA'ing the board. I've read plenty of posts of users with no issues.
Kyle being one of them.

As with any board there are always people who are going to have issues. It's a minor inconvenience but not the end of the world.

I'm just not going to update the bios right away when I get it in.

Fuck if you think thats bad, try messing with a dfi lanparty board from back in the day.

To reset the bios took anywhere from 8 hours to days, never mind the absolute mindfuck it was just to set it up. < no shit.

I've been tinkering with machines since I was a kid. Having a nerdy dad paid off!

Everything nowadays is way simpler, not having to setup IRQs, literally plug and play.

I don't miss the old days :)

Though I do think the newer hobbyists should be required to make a retro machine to know the beginnings.

Fuck you back for buying a DFI motherboard in the first place :)

This is seriously the first time in 20+ computering years that I've heard of anyone having to do that shit after a BIOS flash.

I got RAM to test it, still didn't work.

I tried everything. I'm RMA'ing the board. I've read plenty of posts of users with no issues.
Kyle being one of them.

As with any board there are always people who are going to have issues. It's a minor inconvenience but not the end of the world.

I'm just not going to update the bios right away when I get it in.

I've been tinkering with machines since I was a kid. Having a nerdy dad paid off!

Everything nowadays is way simpler, not having to setup IRQs, literally plug and play.

I don't miss the old days :)

Though I do think the newer hobbyists should be required to make a retro machine to know the beginnings.
If I had the appropriate soldering gear, I'd desolder both BIOS chips (I see from the pics they are right next to each other, and only have 8 pins each), and swap them around. But I don't so, like you, I'd RMA the faulty beeatch.

Today it's very odd. Pup cmos battery and PSU leads. Let it die for an hour or so. Go through clear CMOS procedure, see if it still does it. If you get it to POST, got into UEFI and set optimized defaults and reboot it again. AM4 boards can do some weird shit.

I wish it posted after that.
Well that sucks. Odd that all worked fine till you updated the OS. That is wonky. Just a shot in the dark, and probably a stupid question, will it POST with no drives plugged in?

I couldn't agree more. I've seen motherboards from ASUS, Intel, and MSI brick themselves after flashing. Plus, you've got some ASUS motherboard owners who lose drive arrays and data after flashing their motherboard BIOS. That's a recent issue I heard about.

I couldn't agree more. I've seen motherboards from ASUS, Intel, and MSI brick themselves after flashing. Plus, you've got some ASUS motherboard owners who lose drive arrays and data after flashing their motherboard BIOS. That's a recent issue I heard about.
That one is also a new one to me (but I stopped using Asus stuff a long time ago, after I had several failed expensive boards, and after personally experiencing their absolutely shitty customer service). So with this in mind, there is a number of pretty simple preventative steps to take, to avoid data loss - before flashing, shut down, disconnect all the important drives, leave just the bare minimum to complete the flash, boot up, flash via UEFI/BIOS or in Windows, verify shit works, and so on...

Let me see if I can get GBT to look into this thread.

doesnt that board have 2 bios's.. Make sure you have the jumper set up right for the second bios.. also I kinda skipped most of this thread, but you did pull the power from the 24 pin, and the CPU power connector..?

Also. you are trying this with the USB not in the Bios slot in the back..

doesnt that board have 2 bios's.. Make sure you have the jumper set up right for the second bios.. also I kinda skipped most of this thread, but you did pull the power from the 24 pin, and the CPU power connector..?

All your suggestions are addressed in the thread.

Edit: I've even tried it outside of my case to eliminate any potential electrical issues. My old motherboard is back in using the same psu and case, gpu, and drives with no issues.

Last edited:
yeah.. I am going back and reading thru it now.. I have built PC's for over 20 years.. seen a few odd things in my time.. those were the first things to come to mind after reading the first couple posts..

One question that wasnt answered was if you have another PSU unit? Which leads me to ask, does your PSU click off, ( power completely off ) when you reset the machine... Some times that sends a huge power surge to the CPU..

Only asking because you said this happened on a windows update.. Did you have the system overclocked?

One question that wasnt answered was if you have another PSU unit? Which leads me to ask, does your PSU click off, ( power completely off ) when you reset the machine... Some times that sends a huge power surge to the CPU..

Only asking because you said this happened on a windows update.. Did you have the system overclocked?

It doesn't. I didn't. I literally was setting it up so I didn't get to overclock. Also the weird thing is it was after a reset, initiated by the software. It didn't even power down completely.

well.. sounds like the system was new, and you ran into back luck.. something I joking call monday or friday.. Monday, when everyone comes back to work, they're hung over, so somethings get missed, Friday, everyone is in such a hurry to get the hell out of there, things get overlooked.. Might possible just be a bad cap, or something that made it through QC..

Well I wish I had better news but after reading the posts it sounds like you covered all the steps I would have tried. The board does have (2) BIOS and a switch. In theory if you flash BIOS A and it goes wrong you should be able to switch to B, boot, flip the switch again, and reflash A.

Last ditch effort would be: Pop out the battery. While out disconnect everything and take it out of the case. Put it on a non-conductive surface (the box it came in works). Hold the clear CMOS for 10 seconds. Now try it with just the CPU/24/8 pin power. Note the codes, I believe you are looking for 2F. Regardless note the codes, shut it down, and put in a stick of known good memory. Boot again. If you get the same codes try the other BIOS. If the codes change try a graphics card. If you are still stuck with the same 90 / 15 / 65 cycle its probably RMA time.

Well I wish I had better news but after reading the posts it sounds like you covered all the steps I would have tried. The board does have (2) BIOS and a switch. In theory if you flash BIOS A and it goes wrong you should be able to switch to B, boot, flip the switch again, and reflash A.

Last ditch effort would be: Pop out the battery. While out disconnect everything and take it out of the case. Put it on a non-conductive surface (the box it came in works). Hold the clear CMOS for 10 seconds. Now try it with just the CPU/24/8 pin power. Note the codes, I believe you are looking for 2F. Regardless note the codes, shut it down, and put in a stick of known good memory. Boot again. If you get the same codes try the other BIOS. If the codes change try a graphics card. If you are still stuck with the same 90 / 15 / 65 cycle its probably RMA time.

Thanks for replying! I tried that. The Last ditch effort is when I received code FA then it switched back to 4F.

I RMA'd it, I'm going to mail it out today.

Sooooooooo

I RMA'd the board, got a new one, with new RAM.

Everything worked fine and even updated all the way, then it went to sleep.

It hasn't woken back up;

exact same error codes, though this time, a new one: FD when switching to the backup bios.

I think it is because I switched the RAM to run from 2133 to 3000.

I reset the bios but it still won't post

I only flashed the main bios and i can't boot from either.

The weird thing is the RAM I was able to switch from rainbow to a different color.
The RAM keeps that color even after the bios reset, and no matter which slot. One is blue, one is orange. So, is there a way to "reset" the RAM?

I'm at a loss. I haven't built a new system in years, I finally did, and it is way more frustrating than I figured it would be.

Any ideas Official Gigabyte ?

Last edited:
Back