Did I fry my Seasonic X1050?

Light1984

Gawd
So I've built a new rig after five or six years and I decided to go water cooling. I bought a jumper so I could purge the air and leak test before firing everything up. Well, I had some issues at first and I thought it was just cabling. But I eventually got the pump running by itself with just the power supply. I ended up buying a set of Corsair AX850 individually sleeved cables because I didn't feel like sleeving a whole set myself. I changed out the corsair ends for the seasonic ones and triple checked my wiring. Now, with everything hooked up, when I hit the power button I just hear a click from the PSU and the fan on it spins for a brief second, but nothing else turns on. I do have a green light on the motherboard. And i tried turning just the pump on with the jumper again without everything else, and it just clicks. Any ideas? The wiring is correct, my only thought is that there may be some resistance difference between the corsair cables and the seaonic ones. The seasonic ones are toast at this point, so I can switch them back.

The seasonic ones are toast at this point, so I can switch them back.

You can't or can? Because somethings probably a dud (most likely the CPU cable). The Corsair individually sleeved cable set should work with the X series.

Meant to say can't switch them back. Those little bastards are a pain to take out of the plugs. I spoke with Newegg and they are going to RMA it for me though. So I guess I have to wait two weeks now before I can play with my new toys, sigh...

Oh and for anyone else wanting to try the corsair cables with your seasonic power supply, they do not work out of the box. The power supply plugs are different. So instead of wasting the cables I just switched out the plug ends.

That sucks. Hopefully the 'egg takes care of it quickly. And thanks for posting the info about the cables not being compatible, as I was always curious about that.

Well, there not compatible out of the box, but switching out the end pieces makes them compatible. It is way easier than sleeving an entire set of cables.

Yep. All modular power supplies use different end connectors. Even ones from the same company can have different connectors. For example, the AX wires will not work with the HX power supplies, and vice versa.

I recently found that even though the Corsair HX520 and the Seasonic M12II 520W have the same innards, look the same on the outside, and have cables that look like they have the same ends, the Corsair cables do not work on the Seasonic. Did not fry anything in the process, fortunately.

Do not use cables from one PSU on another, no matter how similar they look.

Back