Did I do ok?...With my sub-$1,000 System

UMASS

Gawd
Hi All: My 1st PC build. I have bought a few bare-bones set ups in my day & took it from there in the past. This my 1st from " scratch" set up. Here's what I came up with:

AMD Phenom II X4 970BE CPU @ 3.5 GHz @ $170.99 ($185.99 less $15.00 NewEgg Gift Credit)
Asus DRW Drive @ $17.99 (On Sale w/ Free S/H)
Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 & Microsoft Pro OS Windows 7 (Combo $30.00 off) @ $209.98
Asus Xonar DS 7.1 Soundcard @ $29.99 ($20.00 Rebate) & $6.49 S/H=$36.48
WD 1TB 6.0Gp/s HD @ $89.99 (less 10% off)=$80.99
Mushkin DD3 1600 RAM (4GB) @ $89.99 ($10.00 Rebate)
Antec Illusion 300 Case @ $54.98
XFX 650 PSU @ $49.99 ($20.00 Instant & $30.00 Rebate)
Corsair H50 HS @ $20.59 (10% off $71.99 $50.00 BB Gift Card/$6.40 Rebate Card)
Vantec 120mm Stealth Fans #SF12025L (for H50 Push/Pull) @ $31.56 w/ S/H (2 each) $12.99 plus $2.99 S/H=$15.98 each
Gigabyte 6870 (10% off) @ 229.99 less 10%=206.99 & $7.87 S/H=$214.86
WIN XP Home (Already owned it) Dual Boot

Total $978.40

I bought a lot of these items over the past few months. Many were "Shell Shocker" scenarios. I thought I did ok for the most part. This rig will keep me going for another 24 months. Plan on o/c'ing my 970 to 4.2 GHz @ some point & time.

What makes me happy is this is my 1s build & I didn't have any issues!!! Took my time & it booted-up w/o any problems! It is a "great" feeling building your own rig. Ok...I said enough!

Last edited:
No need for a 6-Core set up. Playing strategy games. 4 cores in MORE then enough! Plus....I'm waiting for Bulldozer to mature.

For the most part, you did ok. But there's still some parts there where you just spent too much money when there were faster and cheaper alternatives available:
- Despite the SATA 6.0Gb/s interface, that WD 1TB drive is still slower than this significantly faster Samsung F3 1TB drive:
$70 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- That Mushkin RAM is overpriced considering that this equal quality and lower voltage DDR3 1600 RAM costs less:
$65 - G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM

- That Vantec 120mm fan isn't that good for the money either since this significantly quieter yet still equally, if not better, cooling fan is $4 less:
$15 - Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 120MM Case Fan

So while you didn't choose bad parts per se, you just chose overpriced and poor value parts.

For the most part, you did ok. But there's still some parts there where you just spent too much money when there were faster and cheaper alternatives available:
- Despite the SATA 6.0Gb/s interface, that WD 1TB drive is still slower than this significantly faster Samsung F3 1TB drive:
$70 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- That Mushkin RAM is overpriced considering that this equal quality and lower voltage DDR3 1600 RAM costs less:
$65 - G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM

- That Vantec 120mm fan isn't that good for the money either since this significantly quieter yet still equally, if not better, cooling fan is $4 less:
$15 - Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 120MM Case Fan

So while you didn't choose bad parts per se, you just chose overpriced and poor value parts.

Danny: I respect your input. You have helped me in the power supply forums before.

Let me explain my why I purchased what I did.

1st: On the HD, I thought it being 6.0 GP/s (latest & greatest) it was the fastest I could get aside from SS. Also...I simply will NOT buy a HD other then Western Digital. I have had wonderful 'luck" with all my WD HD's in the past (knock on wood) Why is that Samsung HD faster then my WD?

2nd: Again....I'm a loyal Mushkin buyer. Great RAM & good company to deal with. Also...This Mushkin RAM was on the Asus supported memory for the MB.

3rd: I noticed the Sctythe case fans as you pointed out (NewEgg) I thought about scoring them. The Vantec pulls a tad more air & I love them! I have used them for my past 3 builds & they are so quiet & reliable! Seems like those Scythe are pretty decent for the coin. I may just pick a couple up for back-up.

Difference is price?

1st: HD $11.00
2nd: RAM $25.00
3rd Fans $1.58

Total $37.58

I thought I did pretty well with that XFX 650 watt PSU for $49.99 & the Antec Illusion case @ $54.98 delivered (bought those like 6+ months ago) Maybe you could throw in the Gigabyte 6870 VC @ $214.86 considering the price hikes as of late.

Last edited:
1st: On the HD, I thought it being 6.0 GP/s (latest & greatest) it was the fastest I could get aside from SS. Also...I simply will NOT buy a HD other then Western Digital. I have had wonderful 'luck" with all my WD HD's in the past (knock on wood) Why is that Samsung HD faster then my WD?

That Samsung F3 1TB drive is faster since it uses a better HDD platter design. In addition it uses 2 x 500GB platters. Compared that to the WD 1TB 6.0Gb/s drive which uses an older slower platter design and 3 x 333GB platters. Generally, the lesser the amount of platters, the faster the HDD is. And generally, the larger the platter, the higher the chanc of higher performance.

That Samsung F3 1TB drive is faster since it uses a better HDD platter design. In addition it uses 2 x 500GB platters. Compared that to the WD 1TB 6.0Gb/s drive which uses an older slower platter design and 3 x 333GB platters. Generally, the lesser the amount of platters, the faster the HDD is. And generally, the larger the platter, the higher the chanc of higher performance.

Hmmm....Thanks for the education! Didn't know that! Too bad & didn't post in the HD forum & got insight earlier. Danny...Sometimes "Brand Loyalty" comes into play. You stick with what has been good to you! Western Digital & Mushkin have been a favorite of mine.

I like my set up for what I paid. It's a soild rig that should serve me well for the next 2 years. Also..sold some of my other stuff from my past set up, like E8400 & RAM, plus my 4870 1GB Video Card ($160.00)

Actually, you are incorrect about the WD1002FAEX SATA 6 Gbps drive. It too uses 2 x 500GB platters. However, it is still slightly slower than the Samsung F3 drive in sequential transfer speed because of WD's slightly lower areal density. And the WD hard drives with 500GB platters have been inconsistent in sequential transfer performance: Some of them got 140+ MB/s on the outer tracks while others got only about 125 MB/s on the outer tracks.

Actually, you are incorrect about the WD1002FAEX SATA 6 Gbps drive. It too uses 2 x 500GB platters. However, it is still slightly slower than the Samsung F3 drive in sequential transfer speed because of WD's slightly lower areal density. And the WD hard drives with 500GB platters have been inconsistent in sequential transfer performance: Some of them got 140+ MB/s on the outer tracks while others got only about 125 MB/s on the outer tracks.

Damn. My mistake. Must've confused the WD1002FAEX with other WD 1TB drives.

Thanks for the correction!

Congrats on your first rig. I like it. You got a ton of discounts going there too.

great machine and yeah the best way to go is to order parts over time, you save the most money if you can wait.

i will disagree with you on the CPU choice. i might get hammered for this but i would have gone with x6 ... with the h50 you could easily OC 3.9ghz or more and having 2 more cores is always great. but its a SMALL issue. great build overall.

SSD in your future?

great machine and yeah the best way to go is to order parts over time, you save the most money if you can wait.

i will disagree with you on the CPU choice. i might get hammered for this but i would have gone with x6 ... with the h50 you could easily OC 3.9ghz or more and having 2 more cores is always great. but its a SMALL issue. great build overall.

SSD in your future?

Dalearyous: Thanks brother! I thought about an i5 or i7, but this build is a "holdover" until Bulldozer & Sandy matures & prices come down. The Phenom II X4 will take care of my Strategy gaming very nicely. Plus...My Black Edition is so damn easy to o/c with a quick change of the multiplier.

Feels great to start from scratch & build my own rig. Pretty easy when you think about it! I say..."Just take your time" Oh...Yeah...on the SS HD, that will come with my next build.

The Vantec Stealth is a P.O.S, I fell for their marketing too. :mad:

Really? Why? I have bought Vantec Stealth 120mm/80mm/92mm fans for my last 3 builds & I think they ROCK! Dual Ball-Bearing fans that are super quiet IMHO!!!!! Keeping my Corsair H50 (Push/Pull) cool @ 1500RPM & air flow @ 53CFM! And @ 28 dBA they are super silent!

Where are you coming from? Did you have a Vantec fan that failed? Look @ all the rave reviews @ NewEgg!!!! Vantec makes some of best fans in the industry! I think you don't have a clue!!!!!!

PS: I have an old 5+ rig w/ Vantec "Stealth" fans still going strong!

Great build, software and all the hardware at just under 1000 bux ought to have you all set. If it runs and boots up you did your job everything after that is just politics ;)

Really? Why? I have bought Vantec Stealth 120mm/80mm/92mm fans for my last 3 builds & I think they ROCK! Dual Ball-Bearing fans that are super quiet IMHO!!!!! Keeping my Corsair H50 (Push/Pull) cool @ 1500RPM & air flow @ 53CFM! And @ 28 dBA they are super silent!

Where are you coming from? Did you have a Vantec fan that failed? Look @ all the rave reviews @ NewEgg!!!! Vantec makes some of best fans in the industry! I think you don't have a clue!!!!!!

PS: I have an old 5+ rig w/ Vantec "Stealth" fans still going strong!

Vantec Stealths are not quiet at all, they are loud as fuck! That's why I hate them they are far from "stealth".

Back