Did I damage my i9 12900k

Stanley14

n00b
Hi all
So I very stupidly put a system together with said processor and a rog maximus formula motherboard.. installed some M.2 ssd’s, got some fans linked up, memory in, psu in… I flicked it all on to check the mother board lighted up and stuff a few times for maybe 45 seconds - 1min, I did this perhaps 3/4 times in the space of a couple hours (with only the cpu water block installed no water) I then though I’d see if it Posted and went into bios so I connected a monitor and yes it went into the bios ok all seemed fine… as soon as I noticed cpu temp 88 I switched it off straight away and have not put on since… i know it was prettty stupid now but I didn’t realise it would heat up so quick without being under any load.. I will have liquid flowing on Tuesday so I can try again… thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
You likely didn’t damage anything but I wouldn’t continue until it is cooled proper. And actually bios puts the cpu under a load more than you’d think.
Yea I know now for sure..thanks for the reply .. will never do that again.. I’m assuming the cpu would shut its self down to prevent damage right ?

Nope, it won't harm it at all.
If anything the heat helps speed up the settling in of the TIM! ;-)

I can't tell how many times I forgot to start the pump on my 3990 system!
One time I was in Windows for over 10 minutes before I realized it, the OLED on the mobo was showing 93C.
I kicked the pump on and watched it drop to 23 in 2 seconds. Gotta love Heatkiller blocks.
But they still need water! ;-)

No no, pump was not connected at all..I should have it piped up in the next couple days, just a simple loop to the cpu so I can get windows installed and sort out the lighting.. possibly next week I’ll have a GPU in the loop too 😊

This is the stage I’m at

Attachments

• 73441113-F5D3-4F9E-BC2A-F88E43C9B5D6.jpeg
    73441113-F5D3-4F9E-BC2A-F88E43C9B5D6.jpeg
    582.3 KB · Views: 1
You hurt nothing. I have done it for years testing. CPUs shut down nowadays before they self-immolate.

Listen to the head honcho, it'll be fine. I have a computer room at work with about 40 dual xeon systems in it that do optical recognition work, one of them was running slow and throwing errors for a while and when I opened it up I found that the heatsinks were never screwed in and weren't even touching the IHS. For like 4 years. Still runs fine. It will just throttle down until it shuts off.

No no, pump was not connected at all..I should have it piped up in the next couple days, just a simple loop to the cpu so I can get windows installed and sort out the lighting.. possibly next week I’ll have a GPU in the loop too 😊

This is the stage I’m at
Looks great!

I opened it up I found that the heatsinks were never screwed in and weren't even touching the IHS. For like 4 years. Still runs fine. It will just throttle down until it shuts off.
That tells him about all he needs to know.

FYI 88c is no biggie for these processors. They'll easily hit 100c in OC stress testing. I don't even bother overclocking mine. It gets too toasty and I see little to no performance gains. But like others said, you didn't hurt anything. :)

Reactions: Elios
like this
Thanks for all the replies
All seems ok-ish… got a loop going on the processor only for now, temp stayed at 30degrees C in the bios, although the chipset was showing 60degrees C in the bios… loaded windows 11 and the Corsair icue software (not the easiest I must say), on the monitor tab I’m getting one motherboard reading showing 127 degrees C which is a bit of a worry so I need to find out what that is, something can’t be right there…is there a better program for monitoring temps in windows?

Might need to find the chipset forum or I may get told off again for going off topic

Back