Did I damage my drive - BlacX

I recently got a thermaltake BlacX docking station and I plugged in one of my storage drives and played around with it for a bit. I did not power down the unit before taking out the hard drive, I thought the eject button automatically cuts the power to the drive, so when i took it out i felt the platters still spinning in the drive in my hands for a few seconds it was the most scariest thing i have ever experienced! I thought I killed the drive right there and then but then i powered down the dock put in the drive and turned it on everything seems ok the drive works i can access my movies and music, my concerns are did I damage the drive? Did the read/write heads slam into the spinning platters when I took it out while the unit was still on?

I used WD10EADS-00L5B1 HD in Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U

Last edited:
It's fine. The drive heads didn't slam into the platters and feeling the platters still spinning down is also normal.

You're just feeling the gyroscopic effect of the hard drive platters as it spins down. Any modern hard drive worth their salt would have read/write heads that park away from the platters the instant the drive is shut off.

Those things are running around at 7,200 RPM at any rate! :eek:

I've done the exact same thing except I had left the drive running all night....one too many Buds again! :D

It was extremely toasty but it's just fine.

With the blackx, it's recommended by myself that you turn the unit off whenever you are done with the drive and want to remove it... wait for the drive to spin down and then pull it. While it's okay to pull the drive hot, you could risk damaging it in the future.

Back