Did Evga scrap the Classified Card?

For those who can't see Twitter, we were originally told by Jacob preorders would be available late June. This tweet is saying "ETA July."

I'm sure you know better than to state that based on one review of any card.

I said the review was a smackdown.

I am glad I didn't buy a FTW mostly because I don't see how the $30 over the SC card buys you much of anything. The clocks are nearly identical. And this review doesn't help things. There's a lot of people on Evga forums today saying the same things I am saying, but you know that as you're over there too.

Seeing as how this review does not directly compare the temp/noise of the FTW vs the SC/ACX/FE, it is pretty much useless to me. I was interested in knowing what the larger heatsink and fan does for temps vs noise and I'm still in the dark. Shit, they don't even look at the fan speed vs noise levels AT ALL.

Classified cards have always been released a bit later. Vanilla cards/SC/FTW first, couple months: Classified, couple months: Kingpin. We seem to forget history with every series of cards, lol.

First people said to wait for the AIB cards, then people said to wait for the MSI card, then people said to wait for the FTW card, now we need to wait for more FTW reviews... Through all of this, there has been nothing to indicate high tier cards can notably outperform a base speed FE card overclock. Even if another review gets 2050 on a FTW card, it doesn't matter. At that point it's just another card in the "All Pascal cards are capable of nearly the same speeds" pile of cards. The only thing people are buying at this point is looks and quieter coolers.

It makes sense EVGA might dumpster the Classified at this point. EVGA has too many SKUs that all performs the same. People will catch on... Or maybe the won't and EVGA just keep raking in money :p

Classified card I'm guessing is for people using LN2 or going for world records. Otherwise I'm not sure what the point of it is when it only has a 100MHz clockspeed ceiling over the reference model (it's reported to be able to max out 2.2GHz on air, just like the GTX 1080 HOF)

Also dropping $850 or whatever on this card is going to seem dumb if the 1080Ti launches within this year.

All GTX 1080 OC the same because the design of the basic card is voltage limited. Nvidia isn't allowing a single manufacturer to bypass this voltage lock. You aren't going to OC much more than 2100 on a stock card or a EVGA Super Blingy edition due to the voltage lock. None of the GTX 1080 have had heat issues so far. What is the purpose of a Classified Edition if it will have identical performance to the stock Nvidia design?

That review is a real smack down. Glad I didn't buy a FTW, they aren't worth the money.

That's the thing - where I live the FTW is 10€ more than the SC and both are the cheapest 1080's you can buy. Strix for example is ~80€ more, same with MSI.

First people said to wait for the AIB cards, then people said to wait for the MSI card, then people said to wait for the FTW card, now we need to wait for more FTW reviews... Through all of this, there has been nothing to indicate high tier cards can notably outperform a base speed FE card overclock. Even if another review gets 2050 on a FTW card, it doesn't matter. At that point it's just another card in the "All Pascal cards are capable of nearly the same speeds" pile of cards. The only thing people are buying at this point is looks and quieter coolers.

It makes sense EVGA might dumpster the Classified at this point. EVGA has too many SKUs that all performs the same. People will catch on... Or maybe the won't and EVGA just keep raking in money :p

None of this is a response to my point. My point is that people shouldn't overreact to a single review. It doesn't matter which card it is, or even whether it is positive or negative. One great review for card X and everyone is tripping over themselves to get that one because it is best. One negative review of card Y and it's a terrible card, worse than any other card. The silicon lottery is real folks.

I don't disagree with much of what you said, it just doesn't address the point I was trying to make. Personally, this round I'm buying for the factors secondary to performance. I'm buying for warranty support I trust. I'm buying for a cooling solution I like. I'm buying a card that works well in my case, and in the future PCs I'll use it in after I upgrade. Heck I'm even buying on aesthetics. If I bought the FTW it would be for the second BIOS and the warrant support.

Back