Did.... did AMD just extend the life of my 1080ti by enabling FSR?

The game selection of FSR is kinda weak. Needs to push developers to try to add it in. So far they've avoided DLSS supported games. Without the same game to compare, it is up in the air how much better/worse it will be.

People are going to excitedly turn this on for the first time, hoping to double their fps "for free" and then realize it's a blurry mess. And only 2 or 3 games will use it within the next year, then it disappears forever. Like everything else AMD has done, aside from FreeSync.
lol, as much as I love AMD, my thoughts exactly.
Are you kidding?? IF they implement it? It is all but guaranteed developers will implement it. First of all since AMD makes the chips for the PlayStation and XBOX and it will have to be implemented by all who write tit;les for the consoles. Porting it to PC GAMES WILL BE EASY work. Second the developers have been provided the porting kits by AMD already. Third since legacy Nvidia cards will be supported by the AMD software there is added incentive for developers to implement it since they will have a larger market for their games. Nobody will opt out as the loss of sales to competitors who do implement it would be devastating to their success. DLSS will be dead within a year and Nvidia will have to join in supporting this open standard.
The reason I don't think FSR will become too mainstream comes down to one thing. Nvidia's ability to work with *cough* bribe game developers both large and small.

Plenty of reviews out and it looks fairly impressive. The consensus seems to be if you're at 4K then ultra quality and quality mode are both very acceptable and if you're at 1440p then you want to stick with ultra quality. Of course if you got a crappy GPU then you're going to have to sacrifice visual quality even more and use a lower setting but you already having to lower settings anyway. The success will be on how many games this can get implemented in. I know if I was a developer and Nvidia wasn't paying me I sure as hell wouldn't fool with DLSS when FSR can be used on all GPUs.

No, you miss what I'm saying. FSR looks good, very good, and I do personally hope it catches and more game devs implement it. Also I am fully aware that it will be very easy to implement. But... that said, you underestimate or don't at all, the far reach Nvidia has into both large and small game developers. So it's not about how good it looks, or how easy it can be implemented, but with Nvidia's far reach into developers, that will be the big wrench into the gears. It's always been the case though, Nvidia working very, VERY closely with large and small game developers. Providing them with equipment, software tools, personnel, and more importantly incentives to assist them in their games. THAT is where AMD will run into a wall with FSR.

A nyone know if this will improve a card's performance for general productivity? I have three 10 series cards, and use them for photo/video editing...
AMD has been asked by journalists/youtubers and their response is basically: Our plans are for games. But its an open source shader, someone could do it if they wanted to.

Plenty of reviews out and it looks fairly impressive. The consensus seems to be if you're at 4K then ultra quality and quality mode are both very acceptable and if you're at 1440p then you want to stick with ultra quality. Of course if you got a crappy GPU then you're going to have to sacrifice visual quality even more and use a lower setting but you already having to lower settings anyway.
And as noted by a few places now, 1080p upscaled to 4K with FSR*, looks better than 1440p with normal resolution scaling to 4K.

*So that's 4K using FSR Performance mode, which makes the internal resolution 1080p

No, you miss what I'm saying. FSR looks good, very good, and I do personally hope it catches and more game devs implement it. Also I am fully aware that it will be very easy to implement. But... that said, you underestimate or don't at all, the far reach Nvidia has into both large and small game developers. So it's not about how good it looks, or how easy it can be implemented, but with Nvidia's far reach into developers, that will be the big wrench into the gears. It's always been the case though, Nvidia working very, VERY closely with large and small game developers. Providing them with equipment, software tools, personnel, and more importantly incentives to assist them in their games. THAT is where AMD will run into a wall with FSR.
Yeah there is no doubt that Nvidia is going to double down on DLSS. I certainly won't complain about that though as it's getting better with each implementation. I just wish all these games would update to the newest version of DLSS so I don't have to manually go put a dll file in.

Hey, after seeing the reviews today, FSR could potentially.. one day.. make my 1080ti a serious 4k card. I know I can hit 60fps at 4k in native res with a 1080ti, but that's only if I lower all image quality options to low. With FSR I might be able to bump the quality to high, and stay locked at 60fps. Interesting times.

The reason I don't think FSR will become too mainstream comes down to one thing. Nvidia's ability to work with *cough* bribe game developers both large and small.
With AMD complete lockdown of 2 of the 3 main consoles and those console virtually 100% of the time upscaling sub 4k to 4k if they are plugged to a 4k tv, it would be hard to imagine if it is indeed a step up over the way that upscaling is done now that it would not rapidly become the norm and if it is not better than the current upscaling used on those amd gpu, it is not special.

To answer the title question, no.
Those on even worse cards get a higher fps at lower display quality and that's it.
Amd will not convert one 1080ti to rtx 3070.
Calm down a bit,if they gave performance so easily new series of graphics cards would not come out every year.

To answer the title question, no.
Those on even worse cards get a higher fps at lower display quality and that's it.
Amd will not convert one 1080ti to rtx 3070.
Calm down a bit,if they gave performance so easily new series of graphics cards would not come out every year.
um yeah it will help
wat?
no one claimed that.
calm down and maybe watch/read some reviews...

This new tech is solid gold for vega and Polaris cards it looks not to mention 1080tis....

um yeah it will help
wat?
no one claimed that.
calm down and maybe watch/read some reviews...
I looked from Linus, much worse pictures and a few games that support, the one who has already played on weaker graphics cards with native resolution will certainly not play again with a worse picture, better lower the details in the games and get a bigger frame.
The gtx 1050ti and gtx 1650super are capable of native resolution without FSR on medium quality.The 1080ti is a high end class and no need for FSR.
But if that FSR makes someone happy, let them.

With AMD complete lockdown of 2 of the 3 main consoles and those console virtually 100% of the time upscaling sub 4k to 4k if they are plugged to a 4k tv, it would be hard to imagine if it is indeed a step up over the way that upscaling is done now that it would not rapidly become the norm and if it is not better than the current upscaling used on those amd gpu, it is not special.

good point

I hope there's a way to inject it into older games, because it looks pretty damn good but a lot of the games that would benefit from it the most are stuff that I already own and am 99% sure won't get a patch for it. :(

Nothing that I currently play supports it.

I looked from Linus, much worse pictures and a few games that support, the one who has already played on weaker graphics cards with native resolution will certainly not play again with a worse picture, better lower the details in the games and get a bigger frame.
The gtx 1050ti and gtx 1650super are capable of native resolution without FSR on medium quality.The 1080ti is a high end class and no need for FSR.
But if that FSR makes someone happy, let them.
wat? wat? and yeah.

If i had a 1080ti i be doing jumping jacks if i was just buying a 4k display :) honestly im ready to get one for my card now

If your really serious about astrophotagraphy/streaming check out the mallincam hyper plus color. There are quite a few folks streaming deep space video from around the globe using it in conjunction with their 12 inch plus scmidt cassegrain telescopes and the imagery is stunning when conditions are right for viewing.

If your really serious about astrophotagraphy/streaming check out the mallincam hyper plus color. There are quite a few folks streaming deep space video from around the globe using it in conjunction with their 12 inch plus scmidt cassegrain telescopes and the imagery is stunning when conditions are right for viewing.
wat?!

My prediction is that FSR is going to be more widespread after 3 years than DLSS is after its first 3 years. Jensen upcharged for Turing cards with promises of features that are still barely relevant.

Games developed for console first and PC second aren't going to prioritize DLSS when FSR is definitely going to improve console performance especially since that audience isn't as picky about IQ.

What happens if you combine both FSR AND DLSS? DLSS would be used to generate initial frame from lower resolution, like 720p -> 1440p, then FSR 1440p -> 4k. 3x FPS boost, maybe?

FSR sounds really simple to implement, I hope it sees wide adoption. Though its output at lower resolutions need some improvements, I guess it's unavoidable since the source frame has too little data to work with.

Will battlefield 2042 have fidelity fx or dlss / ray tracing or all? As far as i know it is one of the few games that works better on ati cards and is not sponsored by nvidia.

What happens if you combine both FSR AND DLSS? DLSS would be used to generate initial frame from lower resolution, like 720p -> 1440p, then FSR 1440p -> 4k. 3x FPS boost, maybe?

FSR sounds really simple to implement, I hope it sees wide adoption. Though its output at lower resolutions need some improvements, I guess it's unavoidable since the source frame has too little data to work with.

FSR on Radeon 9800 pro:

ezgif-2-cb2723f67396.gif

Last edited:
I hope there's a way to inject it into older games, because it looks pretty damn good but a lot of the games that would benefit from it the most are stuff that I already own and am 99% sure won't get a patch for it. :(

Nothing that I currently play supports it.
These are early days, who knows how many games will support it in the future, could become so useful that it becomes something that is just expected to be patched into games released within the last ~5 years.

Will battlefield 2042 have fidelity fx or dlss / ray tracing or all? As far as i know it is one of the few games that works better on ati cards and is not sponsored by nvidia.
Well BF1 has RT so I assume 2042 will also.
One thing I want to know more about is, I have heard some DLSS users complain that DLSS feels like it adds a layer of latency, and is really felt when playing fast fps games. Wonder if there is any truth to that at all..

These are early days, who knows how many games will support it in the future, could become so useful that it becomes something that is just expected to be patched into games released within the last ~5 years.

Well BF1 has RT so I assume 2042 will also.
One thing I want to know more about is, I have heard some DLSS users complain that DLSS feels like it adds a layer of latency, and is really felt when playing fast fps games. Wonder if there is any truth to that at all..
Warzone also as far as I've heard
You mean bf 5, bf 1 has no dlss or RT

Hmm, why is everyone so co cerned with super high resolution like 4k? Taco play games on 1080 and it's super crisp. Well, perhaps if it does allow me to make 480p into 1080p nd nt have performance impact it'll be goid. Thank you.
Edit: blimey this will legit make 2gb cards relevant again!!
well, maybe... amd is recommended 570/equivalent nv cards as the minimums but people are finding it works on lower cards, some not so good though...

If i had a 1080ti i be doing jumping jacks if i was just buying a 4k display :) honestly im ready to get one for my card now
My Pascal Titan X was what had me switch to a 4K display, and I happily gamed at that resolution until I replaced it with a 2080 Ti. There was no DLSS or FSR back then.

I have a 1080Ti and i've also had a 4k monitor for longer than i've had this card. The 1080Ti still handles 4k quite well for most games, its only in the past 2 years or so that it's started to really struggle at 4k for newer showcase stuff.
I did, for example, just play Persona 5 Strikers, at 4k60 without a single framerate hiccup and not even using near 100% GPU. For any game pre 2017 or so, the 1080Ti handles 4k extremely well. It just depends on the game for me if I want to play it at 4k60 or 1440p100+fps, with multiple monitors, the choice is mine!

Also, I know it's heresy on this forum, but for many of the games I play, 4k30~ is fine for me, sometimes I prefer eye candy over high framerates. I don't need The Witcher 3 (HD REWORKED++) to be at 60fps.

well, maybe... amd is recommended 570/equivalent nv cards as the minimums but people are finding it works on lower cards, some not so good though...

Makes me wonder how much the vram can be pushed in textures packs with FSR as some games use over 5Gb in 1080p

/r/VXJunkies is leaking.

Ya there is a limit... of what this can revive. I confirmed I could make it work on a card as old as a 750ti (the last NV cards I still have around before I went back to team Red lol) Although it runs the overhead it requires starts to add up. It still got me a few extra FPS but just not enough to really make any difference. lol

However on my wives machine that has a RX570 in it... heck she can actually play anno on there at a fairly acceptable frame rate. I mean she was playing it already on medium settings. Now she can push it up to high settings and still get a few more fps. (not that she is to discerning) Can't complain for free.

I was curious what would happen with FSR on a 3080, so I tried the rift breaker demo and ran the GPU benchmark. 5120x1440 ultrawide, average 151fps with FSR off, 212 average with it on the highest quality setting. I really didn't see much of a difference appearance wise, but a huge fps jump.

Seems like it would be pretty nice if they actually get good game support w/ it, which they might since it seems like the consoles would heavily benefit from it.

Considering the 1080s don't have HDMI 2.1 or support DSC, the upside is pretty limited. The 1080Ti can already do 60Hz at 4K on a lot of titles. Without inputs that support more bandwidth the upside of higher FPS on 4K content seems to be limited.

Back