Did C1 120 Hz BFI mode also get downgraded versus CX?

SH1

[H]ard|Gawd
I had thought that though C1's BFI mode was downgraded at 60Hz, the full 120 Hz BFI mode from the CX had been preserved in the C1. However, it actually looks like the CX at 120 Hz is at 3ms persistence vs 4ms for the C1. Or maybe I'm reading the graphs wrong, such as those in Rtings...

I saw a UFO test image of the C1 in TechSpot's review. And it was much farther off the reference than I had expected. Especially given the raves about CX's BFI performance. Wondering if that 1ms delta explains...

It's the C2 that lost 120Hz completely, but maybe even the C1 lost a bit of it? If I'm reading the graphs at Rtings right, it's like 3 on and 5 off for the CX at 120Hz, but 4 on and 4 off for the C1 for 120Hz...

Yeah, the c2 dumped it, but I think C1 downgraded it before that. I could be wrong.

Here's comparison from RTings, they both look pretty similar as far as I can tell.

1679182130531.png

Please check out that third dip though on the CX at 120? I suspect that is the vital clue. (Or I may be reading too much into it...)

Might just be their camera or a bad shot who knows. Unfortunately I don't have a C1 so I can't provide my own pursuit shot of it's BFI. They did not review the CX either so hard to get a more direct comparison.

Thank you. Yeah, their two motion related images, sample and hold, BFI, seemed consistent within the article, but would have been great if they had covered the CX to get another data point.

Yeah unfortunately only RTings has both the CX and C1 for comparison. Techspot only reviewed a C1 while TFTCentral only reviewed a CX.

The way I remember it is that C1 downgraded the 60hz and not the 120hz. 60hz is 8ms of persistence and 120hz is 4ms (8.3 vs 4.2 to be precise). I believe that CX also had 4.2 ms of persistence regardless of 60hz or 120hz but this made 60hz very dim.

EDIT - nevermind. Looking at the graphics it does look like C1 downgraded the 120hz also, just not as much. I don't know man - That seems a bit nit-picky to me unless you're able to get a decently-priced CX, preferably still new in box. Not sure how feasible that is though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3dfan
like this
Could be nit-picking. :)

Possibly RTings was not running the C1 in its most aggressive mode. Subsequently found that Plasma TV for Gaming, who's looked at the C1 extensively, believes it's closer to 3ms with BFI maxed out at 120Hz.

(My thought is to move CRT to a dedicated gaming box and to stop running Excel and such on it.... :) )

Could be nit-picking. :)

Possibly RTings was not running the C1 in its most aggressive mode. Subsequently found that Plasma TV for Gaming, who's looked at the C1 extensively, believes it's closer to 3ms with BFI maxed out at 120Hz.

(My thought is to move CRT to a dedicated gaming box and to stop running Excel and such on it.... :) )
I mean, from my perspective 4ms is a huge upgrade from plasma, which is already a huge upgrade from LCD. If I had a display that could do 4ms for our game consoles without being trash on brightness then I’m set. Wii U and 1080p gaming looks fantastic on our plasma.

Thanks everyone. Almost backed out after seeing that TechSpot image, but going for it...

I know there's some risks using it as a productivity monitor, but will mitigate. And throw the dice.... :)

If you are willing to take some preventative steps when using it as a productivity monitor then you will be fine. The CX/C1 are pretty much unicorn displays at this point since they are the only 4K 120Hz BFI OLEDs in existence. Even if BFI makes a return on future OLEDs, they will be on the 1440p panels instead of 4K and Blurbusters has hinted that they will most likely be limited to 120Hz BFI, so no 240Hz BFI for the foreseeable future. A CX/C1 is going to give you many years of the best non CRT motion clarity.

The way I remember it is that C1 downgraded the 60hz and not the 120hz. 60hz is 8ms of persistence and 120hz is 4ms (8.3 vs 4.2 to be precise). I believe that CX also had 4.2 ms of persistence regardless of 60hz or 120hz but this made 60hz very dim.

EDIT - nevermind. Looking at the graphics it does look like C1 downgraded the 120hz also, just not as much. I don't know man - That seems a bit nit-picky to me unless you're able to get a decently-priced CX, preferably still new in box. Not sure how feasible that is though.

that pretty much looks accurated from what i saw on a friends C1 55 inch version, were 120hz oled motion pro high motion clarity looked best, still some motion blurring notable in motion test, but hard to note on games and from some distance away from the TV, and 60hz even at oled motion pro high motion bluring was just barely reduced, still very notable, definitelly more notable than 120hz motion pro high, so makes sence from what i saw 120hz and 60hz even with motion pro high is someting like 4+ms and 8+ ms persistance respectively

however, maybe some can find the following video usefull, where according to that youtuber, and if i understood correctly, he was able to get his C1 to achieve something like a plasma TV motion clarity of arround 4ms persistence at 60hz with the help of "reshade" and some other settings tweaking.

that pretty much looks accurated from what i saw on a friends C1 55 inch version, were 120hz oled motion pro high motion clarity looked best, still some motion blurring notable in motion test, but hard to note on games and from some distance away from the TV, and 60hz even at oled motion pro high motion bluring was just barely reduced, still very notable, definitelly more notable than 120hz motion pro high, so makes sence from what i saw 120hz and 60hz even with motion pro high is someting like 4+ms and 8+ ms persistance respectively

however, maybe some can find the following video usefull, where according to that youtuber, and if i understood correctly, he was able to get his C1 to achieve something like a plasma TV motion clarity of arround 4ms persistence at 60hz with the help of "reshade" and some other settings tweaking.

I'm not sure I agree with this guy in terms of plasma TV clarity but maybe I need to test it some more. When I let TestUFO go on the default 960 pixels per second, the motion clarity to me looks like a sample and hold 120hz. But maybe that's the gray to gray that I'm seeing. Either way, at the end of the day, does it matter? Most games don't scroll slow enough that you would see the full 4~ms transition.

Now, my plasma is by no means highend, but in terms of motion clarity, reviews have rated it high (over 900 of lines of resolution - whatever the hell that means - the best plasmas top out at 1080 lines - again - whatever the hell that means). Every other plasma TV I've seen in person looks very similar to mine in motion. It's like having the clarity of 120hz in motion but you get it at 60hz, if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. So I ordered the G1. Was delivered and was looking forward to setting it up. However, opened the outer shipping box, and it was the G2. :(

And then couldn't still find the smallest G1 or C1 anywhere it seemed. All dried up. As far as regular retail goes anyway.

Did find a "new" 48" CX on eBay. Ironically. And will see how that goes...

Hi Everyone. So I ordered the G1. Was delivered and was looking forward to setting it up. However, opened the outer shipping box, and it was the G2. :(

And then couldn't still find the smallest G1 or C1 anywhere it seemed. All dried up. As far as regular retail goes anyway.

Did find a "new" 48" CX on eBay. Ironically. And will see how that goes...
So long as you light control your room it should be serviceable at 60hz single strobe.

Room is pretty dim. Will be fun to give it a go.

It arrived today. Confirmed right away, this time, that it was actually what I ordered. And actually new...0 hours on the clock. Hope to get everything set up this weekend....

Room is pretty dim. Will be fun to give it a go.

It arrived today. Confirmed right away, this time, that it was actually what I ordered. And actually new...0 hours on the clock. Hope to get everything set up this weekend....

Well that's pretty damn amazing that you were able to find a CX that's actually brand new! Enjoy the thing it will last you many years. Some owners have already gone over 10,000 hours on theirs. 120Hz OLED BFI is quite the sight to behold, not many monitors are capable of delivering better motion clarity and even if they do, they won't be a 4K OLED.

Right? Seems pretty awesome so far...

Amazing screen coating on this thing. Like a giant cell phone.

Only got my work machine connected so far. PC/Game Mode (for the reduced lag)/120Hz/OLED Motion Pro (High)

I don't see much of a difference regarding brightness when I toggle BFI, but I can definitely see the effect on the UFO test. (Maybe it's less obvious to someone who likes to keep their displays at a low luminance in any case.)

So that amazing screen coating or layer? Apparently gone in the G3. Or partly so. (Plasma TV for Gaming channel speculating they removed or weakened the polarizer layer or something to increase brightness.)

With the G1 and then C1 disappearing from retail as I was trying to order them, but then last minute locating a CX, I kind of feel like I managed to jump onto the back of a train that was starting to speed away...

So that amazing screen coating or layer? Apparently gone in the G3. Or partly so. (Plasma TV for Gaming channel speculating they removed or weakened the polarizer layer or something to increase brightness.)

With the G1 and then C1 disappearing from retail as I was trying to order them, but then last minute locating a CX, I kind of feel like I managed to jump onto the back of a train that was starting to speed away...

Heh yeah man the CX is going to remain the king of OLED motion clarity for a long time. 120Hz BFI beats out 240Hz sample and hold, and incoming OLED displays that are above 240Hz will not be 4K (There is a 360Hz and 480Hz OLED coming but those will be 1440p). I guess if the 4K 240Hz OLEDs came with 240Hz BFI then those would be the new king for motion clarity.

If you are willing to take some preventative steps when using it as a productivity monitor then you will be fine. The CX/C1 are pretty much unicorn displays at this point since they are the only 4K 120Hz BFI OLEDs in existence. Even if BFI makes a return on future OLEDs, they will be on the 1440p panels instead of 4K and Blurbusters has hinted that they will most likely be limited to 120Hz BFI, so no 240Hz BFI for the foreseeable future. A CX/C1 is going to give you many years of the best non CRT motion clarity.
the Gigabyte Aorus F048U also has BFI at 120hz. Unfortunately, not at 60hz.

It really is remarkable for a flat panel. On the UFO test, I think I can make out all 3 eyes, a decently full control stick (or whatever that is), even maybe the 3 distinct white elements along the craft's beltline. I guess it is as some folks have mentioned closer to 3ms than 4. That would help explain it anyway...

As to brightness, well, compared to my CRTs, it's a blow torch. For the moment, I've reduced my Oled Light setting to 0....

It really is remarkable for a flat panel. On the UFO test, I think I can make out all 3 eyes, a decently full control stick (or whatever that is), even maybe the 3 distinct white elements along the craft's beltline. I guess it is as some folks have mentioned closer to 3ms than 4. That would help explain it anyway...

As to brightness, well, compared to my CRTs, it's a blow torch. For the moment, I've reduced my Oled Light setting to 0....

I honestly have no idea how to calculate MPRT. I tried reading the instructions on the blurbusters test site but I could never get the image to show up as it's supposed to LOL.

At the end of the day, I do think at 120 Hz, BFI on the CX and C1 is the same or extremely similar.

Apparently when Rtings first tested the C1 at 120 Hz with BFI the highest setting available was medium. Be it their combination of settings or a flaw of the early firmware. By the time they tested the C1 as a monitor though high was available at 120Hz. And the graph has the same shape as the CX.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I do think at 120 Hz, BFI on the CX and C1 is the same or extremely similar.

Apparently when Rtings first tested the C1 at 120 Hz with BFI the highest setting available was medium. Be it their combination of settings or a flaw of the early firmware. By the time they tested the C1 as a monitor though high was available at 120Hz. And the graph has the same shape as the CX.

Thanks everyone!
I wasn't aware of that. Awesome!

Back