Did ATI competely fall off the high-end or something?

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
I'm shopping around for a new high-end gaming laptop, and for the life of me I can't find anything with an ATI chipset. This has been a problem for the last year I've been looking.. I remember the x800 mobility was supposed to be so fast and awesome way back when, but I hardly found any laptops with it. ATI's website even had a list of laptop makers using the x800 but when I visited those sites most of them were no longer offering it as an option. Now the fastest ATI cards I can find in laptops are the midrange x700 and one Acer with an x1600. The one vendor I can find that even mentions the x1800 mobility (Eurocom) being in a future laptop has just one little mention of the x1800 around all nVidia logos and "7 series" crap.

I really just want the ATI to keep my machines all on the same brand video. What's the deal? Did ATI lose the laptop high-end?

Yes, they did lose the high-end. ATI hasn't produced a good mobility gaming chipset since the 9700pro. The 9800 and X800 mobility were complete vaporware, and I haven't even heard anything about a X1800/X1900 mobility. nVidia is really the only way to go for laptop gaming. This go-round they have really got all bases covered: you've got low-end Quadro's for cheap alternatives to Intel's GMA, the 7900GS for an excellent price/performance ratio, and the the 7900GTX for high performance.

The only place you'll find ATI is in the low performance places. Really they are just a good, cheap alternative to Intel's horrible GMA crap, and not intended for high-end gaming.

Well the X1800 is being used in the new Clevo based Core Duo 17" DTR barebone. ATM Nvidia is cleaning house. The only thing ATI has going for them is the X1600 for the 15.4 market. Nvidia does not have there 7600 Moblie out ATM. Given how hot the X1800 runs, I would much rather have a 7900GS/6800 which run very cool.

Just give in and go Nvidia.

A long time ATI desktop user, I finally had to give up on ATI when I got my quadro 1400 laptop. Yeah the drivers are a little different, but as a long time ATI user I found myself actually liking some of the NVIDIA driver features better. For example Nvidia multimonitor/rotating/pivoting monitor software is implemented a little cleaner (just an opinion not trying to start a holy war).

that's too bad, I haven't liked Nvidia in the past but I will be buying their products in the near future because they're flat out cheaper than ATI for the same performance.

Back