Did any of you guys buy a game during the Steam sale that's impressed you?

Pre-summer sale I picked up Dawn of War 2 Gold Ed. for $20 and I have really enjoyed it. I love tweaking the squads and then jumping right into the action for each mission.

I bought the THQ pack which contained Saints Row 2, and I too have enjoyed it a lot. GTA with a sense of humor.

Also, other games I have enjoyed: Metro 2033, Company of Heroes

I had gotten Saints Row 2 on a recommendation of a friend during a previous sale and felt the same way. Although a bit buggy, the game itself was great. I probably put in 40-50 hours co-op play with my friend on that.

For this Steam Sale, so far the Borderlands DLC has been the best purchase I've made. I haven't had time to play many of my other purchases.

Saints Row 2 is a terrific game, I got it during the last sale and coincidentally started replaying it just before this sale kicked off.

Consider using this mod if you're just starting, as it will eliminate a lot of the tiny little things which irritate, and make the game just extra good. Also, it has a chainsaw launcher.

http://community.saintsrow.com/forums/topic/43953

Beat Hazard, game sucked me in for a good ten hours. Ran out of rewards for continuing to play and since the game only really has one level I've lost interest.

Flatout : Ultimate Carnage was a nice surprise for me. Only really picked it up because I hadn't play a racing game in forever, but it's been quite a bit of fun and I've played that more since the summer sale than any other game.

Despite the controls, I'm enjoying ghostbusters quite a bit as well.

Ghostbusters needs a pad because of the forced mouse acceleration (YOU CAN'T DISABLE IT!!!), but even though it is a super consolified game, it is quite good, and is definitely worthy of the name Ghostbusters. I picked up Devil May Cry 4 and am quite happy with it...I am also amazed that a game with a DX9 and DX10 specific .exe would produce so little extra when run in DX10 mode, save for a marginally reduced frame rate.

Trine, absolutely trine, fantastic little game, if you like games that make you think like portal and require some skills as well , mixed with beautiful graphics, this is the game for you!

This. I used the Steam sale mostly to get some indie type games for something to do on my laptop. I grabbed Defense Grid, Torchlight, Plants vs. Zombies and Trine. I must say, I absolutely love Trine. I hooked my laptop up to my 46" HDTV just for fun and was blown away even though I had to lower the settings a bit. Truly inventive gameplay and beautiful art.

I haven't touched Men of War yet and decided to pass on Borderlands because I have too many games as it is.

Now I'm curious about Just Cause 2...maybe it'll go for $5 in a Christmas sale. It looked like generic 3rd person shooter garbage that seems to be all the rage nowadays like Mercenaries or whatever that mess was called. Even with all the praise in this thread, I still have no interest in SR2 though.

trine has definitely impressed me too. the art is really cool and the gameplay is super fun.

Also, while technically I got it in the EA sale, I just finished Mass Effect 1, and it opened my eyes to storytelling in video games. I've never liked or cared about the story that much. It is probably in my top 5 favorite games of all time now.

Thanks for the saints row 2 mod suggestion, def gonna hook it up for my second play through.

Impressed: Fallout 3 GOTY. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already. Epic game. Although the chinese stealth suit (from operation anchorage dlc) made it a little to easy even on very hard because you can reverse pick-pocket a frag mine or grenade, and if successful, is an instant-kill no matter how many HP the enemy has. My "pants exploded" stat was in the hundreds, lol.

Not Impressed: Bioshock 2 - Not much improvement on the original in terms of graphics, had to register for "games for windows live" which fucking pissed me off to no end. At this point the storyline is its only saving grace. I'm gonna beat it once and be done with it. I know I should have read the reviews/faq that specifically mentioned gfwl. Lesson learned.

Stood on the fence too long: Borderlands. I opted for bioshock 2 instead. Dammit! :(

Resident Evil 5.

Played through completely co-op and it was great. The controls take a bit of time to master, but the game was extremely fun.

Killing Floor

It's fun to play by yourself online....
And its an absolute blast to have your 5 buddies bring their computers over and play it :)

we've gotten together like 5 times in the last 2 weeks just to play it because we have so much fun yelling and screaming trying to survive the zombies. I highly suggest it.

best 5 bucks i've spent in a LONG time.

i also bought gtaIV, devil may cry 4, trine, torchlight, Oblivion, and red faction guerrilla. I've played oblivion and gta 4 on my ps3, just got them to mod, trine and torchlight are great games for my laptop to play when i'm away, and devil may cry and red faction are both fun, but nothing too crazy.

Altitude for $5.

Incredibly addictive multi-player 2D airplane battle game.
I put in 20 hours during the free weekend alone.

Saints Row 2 is a terrific game, I got it during the last sale and coincidentally started replaying it just before this sale kicked off.

Consider using this mod if you're just starting, as it will eliminate a lot of the tiny little things which irritate, and make the game just extra good. Also, it has a chainsaw launcher.

http://community.saintsrow.com/forums/topic/43953

Good Lord! Now I'm going to have to reinstall it! I didn't know about these mods. :)

Killing Floor

It's fun to play by yourself online....
And its an absolute blast to have your 5 buddies bring their computers over and play it :)

we've gotten together like 5 times in the last 2 weeks just to play it because we have so much fun yelling and screaming trying to survive the zombies. I highly suggest it.

best 5 bucks i've spent in a LONG time.

I hear mostly nothing but good things about this game even from people who spent a lot more than $5 on it. I'm surprised to see a 72/100 Metascore on Steam for it which suggests "meh" to me at first glance.

What are the "negatives" about the game? Next time I see it up on sale I might go for it.

As for me: Bad Company 2 at $33 is awfully solid and I'm seeing what the hype's been about for sure even though I'm still barely mediocre online. The single player is solid and hell of a loaded package for what I paid for it. I wouldn't feel bad about paying full price for it.

Metro 2033 as part of the THQ Pack...some of the best environment and atmosphere, especially with DX11, that I've seen in any game. If you've played STALKER you'll be right at home in this in no time.

A lot of us bought DMC4 and Ghostbusters...great sales there.

My biggest "steal" might be that I finally jumped on the Left 4 Dead bandwagon with part 2 for $10. That's an insane value. Love it!

Last edited:
I hear mostly nothing but good things about this game even from people who spent a lot more than $5 on it. I'm surprised to see a 72/100 Metascore on Steam for it which suggests "meh" to me at first glance.

What are the "negatives" about the game? Next time I see it up on sale I might go for it.

Killing Floor is an awesome game and even better to play with people you know online. Really the only thing it has going against it is its release date with L4D and how its not as graphically smooth. It is after all using UT2k4 engine, but they squeezed everything they could out of it.

In my opinion it is a solid game with some really create user created maps.

Killing Floor is an awesome game and even better to play with people you know online. Really the only thing it has going against it is its release date with L4D and how its not as graphically smooth. It is after all using UT2k4 engine, but they squeezed everything they could out of it.

In my opinion it is a solid game with some really create user created maps.

I'll remember it. :)

based on the comments here,

I will pick up Saints Row 2 next time it is on sale. Was considering it but read a lot about bugs/performance issues

I'm kind of surprised that more people didn't jump on Resident Evil 5 - best port I've seen in years.

The game itself was incredibly atmospheric, although I have to admit that (at least for me) the above ground segments were miles better than parts below ground. I also installed a gorgeous camera mod, which pulled the camera way back so that I could see my character from head to toe.

I just thought it was a very under-rated game.

So far ive been playing alot of Borderlands. Amazing it was only $10. So much fun co-op

i bought burnout paradise for 7.50...it did NOT impress me. it is a shitty excuse for a racing game...yet it got such good reviews...

but i did get mass effect 2 and the crysis max edition...mass effect 2 is obviously great...crysis im playing through now...

i bought burnout paradise for 7.50...it did NOT impress me. it is a shitty excuse for a racing game...yet it got such good reviews...

IMO Test Drive Unlimited is what BOP was trying to be...

Except for maybe Doom/Quake/Unreal/HL (games that came out over a decade ago with a huge following...), TDU easily has to be the most-played game by myself in a long, long time... I know I've spent hundreds of hours on TDU already...

Team Fortress 2 for around the price of a fast food meal, first online fps I've enjoyed in awhile.

Tales of Monkey Island, enjoyed the humor.

Actually there are other games I've yet to play or even installed, including GRID, Killing Floor and Left4Dead 2. Hopefully I'll be impressed by these games as well

My 9 year old son was watching me play Overlord for a bit and I was doing some armor building/upgrading and he noticed the minions jumping into the smelter and asked about it. I told him the minions were completely and totally loyal to me and would do anything I say. I then told him he should think about being more like a minion where I was concerned. He just got a really weird look on his face.

That's awesome. Until he actually does it in front of the teachers or someone like that, gets all hunched over, says "Yes master!" runs over and picks up something expensive to bring back. Now that'd be something to see.

It persuaded me to give Mass Effect and Dragon Age a second chance. I bought both MEs and Dragon Age and Awakenings.

Loving Mass Effect. Looking forward to finishing parts 1 and 2 then moving onto Dragon Age.

Not really I had all the good ones that were <10$ and the stuff i wanted was at 25-30 euro so i passed.

Bought re5 and played the whole thing co-op with a friend... it was a blast. Now we unlocked mercenaries mode and that is pretty bad ass as well.

Wasn't sure about getting it but I'm glad I did. Co-op mode online was seamless and smooth, I was very impressed with that. Story got a bit cheesy at times but that's what I love about the RE series.

I bought a bunch of other games and haven't touched any of the yet. I think i'm going to give ME2 it's chance next, bought that during the EA sale the week prior.

:D

Back