Did AMD miss a big opportunity in 2017?

Per [H]'s own review:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/11/02/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_ti_gaming_titanium_review/1

there was literally one game where a Vega 56 outperformed the 1070 Ti at stock speeds. When the 1070 Ti was overclocked it out-classed the Vega 64 at stock speeds.

They're mostly equal in Vulcan and dx12, 1070ti faster in dx11, but the 56 is $50 cheaper and OCs to faster than a stock vega 64 as well. I'd probably buy a 1080 over a Vega 64 if I were in the $500 price range, but no way I'd buy a 1070ti for $50 more than a vega 56. If they were the same price, sure, but they're not.

They're mostly equal in Vulcan and dx12, 1070ti faster in dx11, but the 56 is $50 cheaper and OCs to faster than a stock vega 64 as well. I'd probably buy a 1080 over a Vega 64 if I were in the $500 price range, but no way I'd buy a 1070ti for $50 more than a vega 56. If they were the same price, sure, but they're not.

Which still makes the assertion that it's faster patently false.

Which still makes the assertion that it's faster patently false.

Well so would claiming the 1070ti is faster. You'd have to qualify both statements with a game or subset of games for it not to be as they trade blows. What is true is that the vega56 is significantly cheaper.

Well so would claiming the 1070ti is faster. You'd have to qualify both statements with a game or subset of games for it not to be as they trade blows. What is true is that the vega56 is significantly cheaper.
For now.

Why does every discussion about Zen have to morph into a discussion about Vega?

I don't know, maybe because you called Vega a dumpster fire without having any real insight to back it up.
a.) Vega sells great for other purposes - no law saying it must me for gaming. Gamers can cry all they want.
b.) Nvidia wouldn't of bothered with the 1070ti if it was such a gaming failure. Freesync is a huge factor for many an the perf/watt is really not that significant to most.
c.) Some call it "AMD fine wine" but I call it "Nvidia Rot." Both Fermi and Kepler have not aged well. Is Maxwell next?
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._pc_graphics_analysis_benchmark_review,4.html

I do wish that AMD would release Raven Ridge soon. This Bristol Ridge filler CPU is getting the job done, but just barely, LOL.

I don't know, maybe because you called Vega a dumpster fire without having any real insight to back it up.
a.) Vega sells great for other purposes - no law saying it must me for gaming. Gamers can cry all they want.
b.) Nvidia wouldn't of bothered with the 1070ti if it was such a gaming failure. Freesync is a huge factor for many an the perf/watt is really not that significant to most.
c.) Some call it "AMD fine wine" but I call it "Nvidia Rot." Both Fermi and Kepler have not aged well. Is Maxwell next?
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._pc_graphics_analysis_benchmark_review,4.html

I do wish that AMD would release Raven Ridge soon. This Bristol Ridge filler CPU is getting the job done, but just barely, LOL.

This is the discussion forum about processors so let's keep it about that.

I have already discussed why Vega is a dumpster fire in the video cards forum.

Last edited:
Best Buy has a lot of pre-built Ryzen systems as I was going buy one for $699 that had a 1400/580 /4Gb .. but decided to build one around my 290x.

You don't need to be condescending about it. Anyway, you might want to do a quick fact check before running your mouth in such a tone.

All I did was a quick Google search. The cheapest I found a GTX 1080 for was $509.99 from Newegg. The cheapest I found a Radeon RX Vega 64 card was $499.99 from Newegg. I did see a single Ebay ad for less than that, but when I clicked on it the Ebay ad was actually fulfilled by Newegg and showed as being out of Stock. That was the Powercolor version for $465.00. That's $44.99 for a brand that I didn't see in stock and certainly not the average price. If you know of in stock Vega 64 cards at $50 less than a GTX 1080, I'd love to see some links.

Right now you can get the Vega 56 gigabyte edition for $405 on newegg compared to the zotec 1070ti for $450. Then you can save $300 on your adaptive sync monitor.

Sapphire Vega 64 for $500 and some 1080 for $510.

Vega 56 is a great value especially for overclockers. Take that money you save and buy this;

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XR382CQK-bmijqphuzx-UltraWide-FreeSync/dp/B01N6S1P2D

Or get a freesync 34" ultrawide for $350 less.

That combination for a high and gaming system, where the monitor is premium, can't be beat for the money.

Sure if you've got another $1000 go for the 1080ti and a 34" gysnc ultrawide. Which is MORE than the 38" freesync with a higher resolution as well.

You have to look at the whole package when you are putting together an entire system. But yes everyone knows that amd can't compete at the highest end. I also can't afford $3k for my next build, but can put together an incredible mind blowing 38" 3840 x 1600 75hz adaptive sync system with a Vega 56 for $2k right now.

With an i5 8400 lol. Can't wait to get this up and running. My wife is peeing her pants in anticipation. So yes the Vega has real value and people are buying it not for cryptomining.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's pretty hard to argue that Vega isn't a dumpster fire.

AMD should have launched Raven Ridge (for desktop) with Polaris a while ago.

For a "dumpster fire", it sure is running extremely well and not at all noisy in my computer. Vega 56 - Ryzen R7 1700X.

I half expected AMD to release Bristol Ridge for AM4, when we first seen the new motherboards. Its kinda odd seeing most of the AM4 boards with Video outs on them, and there isn't currently a cpu that enables them that you can purchase. Almost 2018, and still no APU option.

Strange to say the least. Perhaps 2018 is the year we will see some APU's from them. On another note I really wonder what Pinnacle Ridge is going to bring to the table since it will be on a updated process, and if any other improvements sneak in there. I hope they can reach 4.5ghz or higher! Might have to swap out the R7-1700 with a newer model if that is the case.

As for Vega, Meh its not a good value for gamers. It's a great card for miners though so they buy them up. If you can find a Vega 56 at msrp its not a bad card for gamers. Otherwise just go buy yourself a Nvidia gpu if you need a gaming card. I wouldn't call it a fail since it still flies off the shelves at higher than MSRP meaning the demand is higher than the supply.

Vega was a DISASTER for AMD prior to the discovery by cryptocoin miners that it was a MONSTER for Monero (XMR, Cryptonight algorithm) mining.
Without THOSE sales, Vega would still be getting dumped at quite a bit less than MSRP and would be in widespread easy availability.

The ONLY other place Vega can compete well against NVidia is in Distributed.net RC5-72 work (a Vega 56 can almost match the keyrate of the 1080 ti - not 1080, 1080 TI - at around 10 MKeys/sec - and the 64 should be able to top 11 easily which is BETTER than the 1080 ti can manage unless you get a VERY good one that overclocks core VERY well).

At current AMD RX card pricing, a Vega at near MSRP could argue on ETH mining as well - but the Vega makes a LOT more on XMR mining so no point to that and you can't find one anywhere near MSRP anyway.

Vega 64 for about 2 days RIGHT BEFORE the Monero news got widespread was on sale for around $459 or $469 - Vega 56 at that same time was $409 - from Newegg, I think as a "Black Friday" sale price.
That price did NOT last long - 2 days at MOST....

Vega was a DISASTER for AMD prior to the discovery by cryptocoin miners that it was a MONSTER for Monero (XMR, Cryptonight algorithm) mining.
Without THOSE sales, Vega would still be getting dumped at quite a bit less than MSRP and would be in widespread easy availability.

The ONLY other place Vega can compete well against NVidia is in Distributed.net RC5-72 work (a Vega 56 can almost match the keyrate of the 1080 ti - not 1080, 1080 TI - at around 10 MKeys/sec - and the 64 should be able to top 11 easily which is BETTER than the 1080 ti can manage unless you get a VERY good one that overclocks core VERY well).

At current AMD RX card pricing, a Vega at near MSRP could argue on ETH mining as well - but the Vega makes a LOT more on XMR mining so no point to that and you can't find one anywhere near MSRP anyway.

Vega 64 for about 2 days RIGHT BEFORE the Monero news got widespread was on sale for around $459 or $469 - Vega 56 at that same time was $409 - from Newegg, I think as a "Black Friday" sale price.
That price did NOT last long - 2 days at MOST....

A vega 56 is faster than a 1070 at the same msrp, so even if crypto weren't a thing sales should be good. Vega 64 is roughly equal to a 1080 so is a harder sale at the same msrp given it consumes more power, so you may have a point there. At $400 vega 56 would be a no brainer, near 1070ti performance for $50 less and oc ability that gets it to above 1080/vega64. I would have gotten one instead of my 1080 if they were available at msrp.

AMD needed to make a smash hit to pick up sales, build the name back up, and raise the stock price.
Ryzen and threadripper did just that.
Another white box apu would have not done that.
That market is to well covered by Intel to make a huge splash in the whitebox market.
It was pure genius to strike where Intel was weakest.
Then when people start thinking AMD == good again strike into the laptop and apu market.

Not sure what opportunity was missed. Ryzen killed it, ThreadRipper is the bomb and Vega is sold out. Competition is back yet people are still complaining because not every product was a home run. The complainer(s) will never be happy. So what. Amazing what AMD has done in the past year.

Not sure what opportunity was missed. Ryzen killed it, ThreadRipper is the bomb and Vega is sold out. Competition is back yet people are still complaining because not every product was a home run. The complainer(s) will never be happy. So what. Amazing what AMD has done in the past year.
And yet AMD is not posting record quarters like Intel or NVIDIA...So your perception is not support by the facts....simple as that.

And yet AMD is not posting record quarters like Intel or NVIDIA...So your perception is not support by the facts....simple as that.
Maybe a little less snide comment and more proof with your post or the best option is not post at all, but that would just be wishful thinking. Not sure why all the elitist always think huge profits are the only means to success. Considering AMDs position before Ryzen, then all after thus far is definitely a step in the right direction and a win in many ways.

Maybe a little less snide comment and more proof with your post or the best option is not post at all, but that would just be wishful thinking. Not sure why all the elitist always think huge profits are the only means to success. Considering AMDs position before Ryzen, then all after thus far is definitely a step in the right direction and a win in many ways.

Well what do you think when their flagship cpu 1800x needs 16 threads to do what 8 threads pretty much do with the 7700k...still like revision on weaker cores or something.

Well what do you think when their flagship cpu 1800x needs 16 threads to do what 8 threads pretty much do with the 7700k...still like revision on weaker cores or something.
I get your new here and all but you may want to back down the tude a tad. So for starters your 7700k would fold hard against my 1800x when running multiple programs. I can game and rip dvds and watch Netflix all at the same time with no issue. But hey I am not gonna tell you what you need to buy or condemn you for your decisions. But don't delude yourself or others just because it is what helps you sleep at night.

I get your new here and all but you may want to back down the tude a tad. So for starters your 7700k would fold hard against my 1800x when running multiple programs. I can game and rip dvds and watch Netflix all at the same time with no issue. But hey I am not gonna tell you what you need to buy or condemn you for your decisions. But don't delude yourself or others just because it is what helps you sleep at night.

I know, it's not multithreaded the best but can't tell me it won't do it. besides the point if the price was better might of went with a 1800x build.

I think you underestimate it Overclocked though man, it's not gonna fold promise you Lol

Radeon RX Vega 56/64 sells because miners ran out of Radeon RX 570/580 and Geforce GTX 1070 to buy.

That's hardly a measure of success.

Also, you think that I am "anti-AMD" ? LOL!

...and using stocks to justify something? double LOL!
Looks like your cystal ball was broken with this quote from Nov 8. There are no Vegas in stock now, but there are plenty of 1070 and RX580s in stock at or slightly above MSRP just about anywhere one looks.

Looks like your cystal ball was broken with this quote from Nov 8. There are no Vegas in stock now, but there are plenty of 1070 and RX580s in stock at or slightly above MSRP just about anywhere one looks.

Well I lost faith dude they want double the price for a gpu that's doesn't even bench as good as a 1080....not sold out....just no one wants pay that or need that man...

Well I lost faith dude they want double the price for a gpu that's doesn't even bench as good as a 1080....not sold out....just no one wants pay that or need that man...

In stock where? Double the price where? Proof?

name calling will not be tolerated

Please welcome the forums newest troll. He has some interesting things to say man.

Please welcome the forums newest troll. He has some interesting things to say man.

Hey I'm just going by UserBench alot and mannnn...they rated it badddd man lol, and Idk and we are just talking about stuff man probably bored? Not really Trolling though or intended.

Did you even bother to read?

AMD maybe doing great among enthusiasts and gamers (esp. those that build their own PCs), but it is doing poorly with the majority of people and companies who buy PCs from the major vendors (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.)

Did you even bother to read?

AMD maybe doing great among enthusiasts and gamers (esp. those that build their own PCs), but it is doing poorly with the majority of people and companies who buy PCs from the major vendors (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.)

Same can be said with Intel, AMD people doing Airrrr Rigs alot of mostly and being Noooob...Us Intel People are Refined and water everything and the Like.

Financial data for Intel, Nvidia, and AMD is well-known. Moreover, we have data about the impact of Zen in AMD marketshare. Despite all the pre-launch hype, and post-launch comments like "Ryzen killed it", "ThreadRipper is the bomb" the impact of Zen in the market, real market, is virtually zero. AMD got 3% marketshare and that percent is rounding up.

Financial data for Intel, Nvidia, and AMD is well-known. Moreover, we have data about the impact of Zen in AMD marketshare. Despite all the pre-launch hype, and post-launch comments like "Ryzen killed it", "ThreadRipper is the bomb" the impact of Zen in the market, real market, is virtually zero. AMD got 3% marketshare and that percent is rounding up.

Lets say that 3% is right, that is not bad at all considering that Ryzen is mainly component sales for end users to build. Very few oem's are using them yet as they are waiting on the ones with the integrated graphics. The most you see with Ryzen in the oem way is higher end gaming systems. Most stores you just see desktops with integrated junk for graphics. The fact that AMD is ranking high on Amazon and Newegg and other retailer sites in sales should tell you the truth, Ryzen has been a success for AMD. Market share does not rebuild itself overnight. Your argument is weak when any improvement would be a good thing for AMD.

Lets say that 3% is right, that is not bad at all considering that Ryzen is mainly component sales for end users to build. Very few oem's are using them yet as they are waiting on the ones with the integrated graphics. The most you see with Ryzen in the oem way is higher end gaming systems. Most stores you just see desktops with integrated junk for graphics. The fact that AMD is ranking high on Amazon and Newegg and other retailer sites in sales should tell you the truth, Ryzen has been a success for AMD. Market share does not rebuild itself overnight. Your argument is weak when any improvement would be a good thing for AMD.

What is that of «lets say 3% is right»? You have market share data available now. And Zen provided about 2.6% marketshare to AMD in the desktop, which I rounded up to 3%.

So now the excuse is that desktop Zen lacks integrated graphics? The impact of Zen in servers is much lower than 3% (*), and integrated graphics plays no role in servers.

Ranking high on Amazon? At least eight of the top ten best-seller CPUs on Amazon are from Intel.

And who said that getting 3% marketshare is something bad for AMD? Again you ignore the point. The point is that real-life worldwide Zen sales are very far from those fantasy sales what some people has been promoting. Do you need a reminder of wrong headlines?

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ealing-significant-market-share-revenue-intel

https://www.gamersnexus.net/sales/3132-huge-sales-on-amd-r7-1700x-1600x-and-threadripper-1950x

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59000/amd-kicks-intels-ass-overtakes-intel-cpu-sales/index.html

https://wccftech.com/amd-cpu-sales-overtake-intel-first-time-decade-germanys-largest-e-tailer/

All those headlines are false. Financial and marketshare global figures show that the impact of Zen in Intel finances was nearly zero. And AMD only got 3% (rounding up) marketshare. with Zen. Of course, no one of those sites has retracted or published real-life worldwide numbers.

------------------------------------
(*) Lisa Su couldn't even warrant total 2% server marketshare for end of 2017.

What is that of «lets say 3% is right»? You have market share data available now. And Zen provided about 2.6% marketshare to AMD in the desktop, which I rounded up to 3%.

So now the excuse is that desktop Zen lacks integrated graphics? The impact of Zen in servers is much lower than 3% (*), and integrated graphics plays no role in servers.

Ranking high on Amazon? At least eight of the top ten best-seller CPUs on Amazon are from Intel.

And who said that getting 3% marketshare is something bad for AMD? Again you ignore the point. The point is that real-life worldwide Zen sales are very far from those fantasy sales what some people has been promoting. Do you need a reminder of wrong headlines?

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ealing-significant-market-share-revenue-intel

https://www.gamersnexus.net/sales/3132-huge-sales-on-amd-r7-1700x-1600x-and-threadripper-1950x

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59000/amd-kicks-intels-ass-overtakes-intel-cpu-sales/index.html

https://wccftech.com/amd-cpu-sales-overtake-intel-first-time-decade-germanys-largest-e-tailer/

All those headlines are false. Financial and marketshare global figures show that the impact of Zen in Intel finances was nearly zero. And AMD only got 3% (rounding up) marketshare. with Zen. Of course, no one of those sites has retracted or published real-life worldwide numbers.

------------------------------------
(*) Lisa Su couldn't even warrant total 2% server marketshare for end of 2017.

Man it's probably a waste of pixels but I will reply. A increase in sales is a good thing no matter what, up till Ryzen no one was considering AMD at all for a upgrade. Not a excuse but a fact that OEM's want integrated graphics, damn obvious if you walk the aisles rather then aimlessly wander around with your eyes closed. Any move into servers is huge as AMD has not been in that market for quite some time so any sales they get is a huge threat to Intel and shows despite all your BS that Epyc is selling. See the problem with your rankings on Amazon is AMD didnt make that list before. Oh no sensational media headlines, wow the media never does that.. oh wait they do that shit all the time. The only thing false is your endless posting on AMD, heck even Intel people are putting you on ignore cause all you do is spread BS, your not the prophet you think you are.

Man it's probably a waste of pixels but I will reply. A increase in sales is a good thing no matter what, up till Ryzen no one was considering AMD at all for a upgrade. Not a excuse but a fact that OEM's want integrated graphics, damn obvious if you walk the aisles rather then aimlessly wander around with your eyes closed. Any move into servers is huge as AMD has not been in that market for quite some time so any sales they get is a huge threat to Intel and shows despite all your BS that Epyc is selling. See the problem with your rankings on Amazon is AMD didnt make that list before. Oh no sensational media headlines, wow the media never does that.. oh wait they do that shit all the time. The only thing false is your endless posting on AMD, heck even Intel people are putting you on ignore cause all you do is spread BS, your not the prophet you think you are.

A lot people still do need an Upgrade no question but to truly convince them.... But it's one of those things like where if someone had and use to Intel/Nvidia or they Had AMD, It's Naturally they want to go back to the same thing or something. Me Iv'e used and had Plenty of Both and don't really care all that much...Old enough to remember anyways when it was ALLL just BAD slow and bad frames etc.. Now it's just different and hugely improved. Either or is a huge upgrade to older cpu's and cards and drives and ram etc.

So you repeat the same flawed claims, ignoring the counterarguments and corrections made when you said the same before (*) and, as bonus, you add now an ad hominem. :facepalm: At least you are admitting this time that your post is "a waste of pixels".

(*) I will repeat you, once again, that no one has said that AMD getting 3% marketshare is something bad. No one. So stop repeating "A increase in sales is a good thing no matter what" because no one has stated or insinuated the contrary.

Come to the AMD section there is endless threads of the same stuff different title and most baseless personal opinions passed as fact.

I like what AMD are striving to achieve and under Su they have leadership that is intent on breaking new markets. I also loathe fanboys to the extreme, most come to this section to chit talk their pro brand bias

So you repeat the same flawed claims, ignoring the counterarguments and corrections made when you said the same before (*) and, as bonus, you add now an ad hominem. :facepalm: At least you are admitting this time that your post is "a waste of pixels".

(*) I will repeat you, once again, that no one has said that AMD getting 3% marketshare is something bad. No one. So stop repeating "A increase in sales is a good thing no matter what" because no one has stated or insinuated the contrary.

Never seems to stop you from posting anything before really why should it all of a sudden stop others ?

Never seems to stop you from posting anything before really why should it all of a sudden stop others ?

Waste of Pixels and triggered Fanboyism, probably. I'm actually happy for them, It's more of trying to make it more convincing that they offer something much better now than under-performing Bulldozer. Like I mentioned they have some affordable alternatives, and the Performance isn't all that much different.

Back