Dictating net conections for each program?

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I have DSL and cable. I want my server to use the dedicated IP from the DSL, but I want to use my cable for gaming. This is all on the same rig running winXP. Currently I just turn off one or the other by disabling them in Network Connections, however I want to use both simultaneously. Ideally my FTP software would only have the DSL available to it and everything else would default to the cable and not even see the DSL connection. Any tips? I bet this can be done in software somehow.

The way TCP operates, it uses your routing table to determine which interfaces to use for sending traffic. No matter what interface clients connect to, it will look at the routing table to determine which interface to answer on. Certain server applications may allow you to configure binding to only a particular interface, but most don't have that option.

You would need a switch/router capable of rerouting packets based on application layers in order to use each connection for a specific purpose.

Or, you might have luck with a multi-WAN router if it supports TCP port based routing.
http://www.birds-eye.net/article_archive/multiple_isp_connections_to_home_business.htm

Thanks for the info. I did find some software in the FTP software that will let me specify the interface that it should bind to, however all other apps will still use both connections. I still need a way of limiting access reliably between my server software and all other apps on the computer. I wonder if anyone has made any software that can do this.

Back