I think both the marketing and production of the game feel very out of tune with the Battlefield demographic. Classical, large scale warfare enthusiasts. Not adding women per-say, thats just a natural evolution in gaming trends but like you said the trailer seemed very out of character for a Battlefield game, even the maps I do like seem clunky and poorly designed. The Classes are funky. Everything seems antithetical to even something as recent as Battlefield 4. I can't help but wonder if this is even the same group of developers and producers from BF4 and BFBC2. One of the reasons I skipped out on either Battlefront is that they admitted during the development process that both games were largely developed by devs traditionally assigned to post launch DLC.

It feels like everything post BF4 has had a made a serious directional shift. BF4 was buggy as shit I didnt even bother with it until the first big patch but still design and tone were reasonably consistent with previous games.
BF Hardline wasn't even a DICE game, it was developed by Visceral if I remember right. It was also the BF game no one asked for(that seemed like a halfassed stop-gap just to get something out the door to try and compete with COD). BF1 was "ok"(the SP campaign was fucking terrible with that Iron Man shit among other things)but had a massive content drought post launch that basically killed most of the player base off out of boredom. Hardline I didn't buy because cops and robbers for battlefield just seemed dumb, BFV I didn't buy because Patrick Soderlund said not to. I've bought every other BF game and expansion/DLC for them on PC.

And yeah, including female player models in the multiplayer game isn't a big deal at all, and no one complains about them in R6S or CoD. But when the marketing is constantly trying to beat me over the head with how much of a piece of shit they think I am... I'm not gonna give them my money, even when the game has been discounted.

The biggest challenge the developers have is how toxic the gaming community has gotten over anything that could conceivably be construed as "diversity". Women in the game really doesn't make any difference, it's just different character models, and you can change all of your own characters to men if that really concerns you. Don't buy into the nonsense.

I don’t think that’s as big of a challenge as people are making it out to be. The gaming world is loaded with strong female protagonists that male gamers love to play as (Lara Croft, Oni, Princess Peach, various Mortal Kombat/Street fighter characters, WOW characters, etc). These characters have strong followings, even amongst the most neckbeard, basement dwelling, Brony gamers you can think of. What I think gamers (and most people in general) are growing sick and tired of is the constant “holier than thou” virtue signalling lecture that is coming from certain factions of the media.

In Battlefield’s case, this was where I think the friction started. Sure, you’re going to get misogynistic idiots who are going to hate the game because “OMG there’s a girl”. Me personally, I’m in the camp of Battlefield NEVER being historically accurate or a simulation to any degree (you can’t complain about realism in a game where you can bailout of a fighter plane, shoot down an opponent with a bazooka, and then jump back into that same plane like nothing happened), so I don’t care who the characters are provided the game is good, but DICE could have squelched the vast majority of the complainers on this by basing the main character off of one of the famous female SOE agents or female Soviet snipers or tank crew, of which there is plenty to choose from (although you probably can’t lead with the Eastern Front either because ‘Merica and all that). Some of these female operatives pulled off some badass stuff during the war that could have made an intriguing storyline while giving DICE the historical cover to show people to shut them up. Instead, DICE took the combative route, called a large contingent of their core audience misogynistic assholes, lectured them on their morals, and then challenged them to not buy the game if they weren’t satisfied with the approach. That was a stupid thing to do. A far more progressive approach would have been to maintain the female characters, base it on historical events, and give people a history lesson in the process. I guarantee you the backlash would have been far less severe and BFV sales would have been far higher.

Gaming, for sure, has a large contingent of assholes among us, and with that, there are quite a few misogynistic gamers out there, but the people who are like that are typically assholes in general in my experience. Sure, they hate women, but they’re also probably the same people who are spamming the chat with racist language and being a general griefer. I will love nothing more than to remove such idiots from the gaming community so the rest of us can just play and have fun.

Just my thoughts.

BF Hardline wasn't even a DICE game, it was developed by Visceral if I remember right. It was also the BF game no one asked for(that seemed like a halfassed stop-gap just to get something out the door to try and compete with COD). BF1 was "ok"(the SP campaign was fucking terrible with that Iron Man shit among other things)but had a massive content drought post launch that basically killed most of the player base off out of boredom. Hardline I didn't buy because cops and robbers for battlefield just seemed dumb, BFV I didn't buy because Patrick Soderlund said not to. I've bought every other BF game and expansion/DLC for them on PC.

And yeah, including female player models in the multiplayer game isn't a big deal at all, and no one complains about them in R6S or CoD. But when the marketing is constantly trying to beat me over the head with how much of a piece of shit they think I am... I'm not gonna give them my money, even when the game has been discounted.

QFT. Couldn’t agree more with everything you said up there!

I don’t think that’s as big of a challenge as people are making it out to be. The gaming world is loaded with strong female protagonists that male gamers love to play as (Lara Croft, Oni, Princess Peach, various Mortal Kombat/Street fighter characters, WOW characters, etc). These characters have strong followings, even amongst the most neckbeard, basement dwelling, Brony gamers you can think of. What I think gamers (and most people in general) are growing sick and tired of is the constant “holier than thou” virtue signalling lecture that is coming from certain factions of the media.

In Battlefield’s case, this was where I think the friction started. Sure, you’re going to get misogynistic idiots who are going to hate the game because “OMG there’s a girl”. Me personally, I’m in the camp of Battlefield NEVER being historically accurate or a simulation to any degree (you can’t complain about realism in a game where you can bailout of a fighter plane, shoot down an opponent with a bazooka, and then jump back into that same plane like nothing happened), so I don’t care who the characters are provided the game is good, but DICE could have squelched the vast majority of the complainers on this by basing the main character off of one of the famous female SOE agents or female Soviet snipers or tank crew, of which there is plenty to choose from (although you probably can’t lead with the Eastern Front either because ‘Merica and all that). Some of these female operatives pulled off some badass stuff during the war that could have made an intriguing storyline while giving DICE the historical cover to show people to shut them up. Instead, DICE took the combative route, called a large contingent of their core audience misogynistic assholes, lectured them on their morals, and then challenged them to not buy the game if they weren’t satisfied with the approach. That was a stupid thing to do. A far more progressive approach would have been to maintain the female characters, base it on historical events, and give people a history lesson in the process. I guarantee you the backlash would have been far less severe and BFV sales would have been far higher.

Gaming, for sure, has a large contingent of assholes among us, and with that, there are quite a few misogynistic gamers out there, but the people who are like that are typically assholes in general in my experience. Sure, they hate women, but they’re also probably the same people who are spamming the chat with racist language and being a general griefer. I will love nothing more than to remove such idiots from the gaming community so the rest of us can just play and have fun.

Just my thoughts.
I agree 100% with all of this.

I hate the screams. Just don't like shooting women and hearing that response.

Love the screams myself.. I make sure to go over and teabag the body every time I hear it. Eff dice and their SJW crew. I was on the EA forum responding to a guy who was tired of his squad characters getting reset.. I inferred DICE was doing it because he did not have enough diversity... they did not like that too much. :p

Back OT. Glad they reset the TTK...

I intentionally play as women in BF5 because the scream triggers people. :p

Back