DICE Boss Says Battlefield V’s Women Are Here to Stay

Of course its about making money, as they're legally obligated to do for their shareholders. And the internet outrage bandwagon that's now masturbating violently to the latest contrived controversy only have themselves to blame. I say contrived because it's almost as if the manboob brigade on reddit is entirely too predictable, and knowing that they could put a woman on a boxcover or as a playable avatar and instantly trigger them, seems to be playing right into their marketing and awareness campaign far more than a conventional campaign ever could.

Either they were going to release another AAA MP shooter - which people expect to be supported at least two years with new maps and modes - and it would cost $110-120 for the base game (the bitching would never end), or as they've done in the past charge for optional DLC's and map packs (or $50 Premium) and deal with people bitching about "fragmentation" of the playerbase). Or the last bastion, monetization through customization, which seems to be the least offensive and best working scheme for other AAA games engaged in the practice.

Let's face it, if the monetary reward for the developer's work were left up to the average, fickle gamer ("make the game free, the add-on maps and modes free, free skins, free customizations, free mods, free servers, support it for 20 years, work for free too, I'm bored) then these companies would be bankrupt.
People aren't "triggered" that there was a woman on the box. People keep saying this for some reason. Nobody who is upset is upset, "because there is a woman on the box."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_women_in_World_War_II

So on the one side where women did play a big role, women were a whopping 3% of of the armed forces, and most of them were pilots, snipers, or auxiliary troops. If they wanted to have a game including a factually accurate female sniper who is fighting for the Russians, I'd be all for it.

Ditto for female resistance fighters in France.

So why shoehorn "muh diversity" where it is clearly historically inaccurate? She even has a prosthetic arm, but she's whooping men in hand to hand combat?

And what the hell do you know about "these gamers?" I know lots of "gamers" who are veterans. Obviously, WW2 was 70 years ago, so nobody playing games today is likely to have fought in that war, unless they are 90 or over. That's a ridiculous point.

Personally, I thought the trailer was just over the top in general. I mean, they are flying through the air and pulling off super human feats and you can see V2 rockets come flying into the battlefield. I mean, come the fuck on...

So what your saying is that the women you acknowledge existed don't count because they didn't have penises and therefore should not be in a game because this is all about your little fantasy. Not some yucky woman.

Awesome.

More women fought an died in WWII on all three sides than gamers.

The Soviets had a bunch of them. Like, a lot of them. Thousands. With guns and shooting and everything.

The British had hundreds of them. A few of those ones were even brown. They used bunches of mere females to coordinate, supply, and (Oh wait for it!) lead resistance cells in France.

Some times the fantasy isn't going to be made up of people just like you. Especially when the reality is that those women gave more and did more in their short lives than these gamers ever will.

I guaran-goddamn-tee that the number of gamers deployed to combat areas in the last 20 years dwarfs the number of women sent to hot zones in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam combined. Hell, the number of gamers that became casualties in the last 20 years may be more than the number of women who saw combat in WW2.

This guys Twitter page is full of BS, he called the war "The Greatest Drama in Human History". My Grandfather certainly didn't call it that when his buddies were eaten by Hyena's in North Africa or when he was shot in the head by a German.

I guaran-goddamn-tee that the number of gamers deployed to combat areas in the last 20 years dwarfs the number of women sent to hot zones in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam combined. Hell, the number of gamers that became casualties in the last 20 years may be more than the number of women who saw combat in WW2.

I guarantee you that there were no gamers deployed in WWII. There were women though.

I think people get pissed at the forced nature of these things. I know im getting tired of it, but don't care much in the end. I've yet to see the Samus Aran & Bayonetta back slash .

I guarantee that there were no astronauts deployed in the War of 1812.

A particularly large explosion could have resulted in an amateur astronaut.

Edit: And for the record: I would play the shit out of an industrial revolution space exploration game.

Last edited:
I think people get pissed at the forced nature of these things.

That's my thing with it. It's not that it's put in there and historically accurate. It's that it's shoehorned in as lip service.

Put in Roza Shanina or someone similar (leave the name out to leave it ambiguous) and go with that. But, they seem to just force it in. Like Oceans 8, Ghostbusters, etc.. It's just that part that gets me.

You are right, of course. Can't argue with historical facts. However, to be fair, it's just a very loud minority of misogynist, supremacist gamers. I'm pretty sure most normal gamers would be delighted to see inclusion and diversity in games.
Hillary? Is that you?

While i understand your point, Battlefield presents itself as a game set in reality, whereas doom is set in a fictional world. Personally I don't really care but I can easily see people who like game accuracy to be annoyed by the clear rewriting of history.

No, not really. Is it often based around true events, yes. But very little of the game is even remotely "realistic" beyond the very basic of the setting and weapon skins.

giphy.gif

No, not really. Is it often based around true events, yes. But very little of the game is even remotely "realistic" beyond the very basic of the setting and weapon skins.

View attachment 76891

You are absolutely correct - BF has been going down the drain for years.

Honestly I don't know why anyone is complaining about this decision.

This is yet another decision in the series that will make me never want to touch it again.

I won't complain, because my complaints go back all the way to the BF3 days.

Well you start off by not alienating 51% of the population.

How is it alienating 51% of the population? How many men bought Mirror's Edge or the new Tomb Raider games? How many guys actually wanted to buy the game, but didn't because you couldn't play as a man?

Besides, war games are just not popular among women. Tanks, guns and planes simply aren't that interesting to most of them. Sure you'll win over a few, and in the mind of the corporate CEO's they'll run their product through the mud if it means a 2% increase in profits, quality be damned. And if you're one of those few women who actually do like war themes, they'd probably want it to look and be more authentic.

I've played many games with female characters including choosing female options when there were male options (Mass Effect and some others) because they fit in the game very well. Anyone with half a functioning brain would realize people aren't annoyed with women being featured in Battlefield, but rather their portrayal and the crappy cosmetic system being forced down our throats. If you support this system, IMO, you're no better than the people who decided to force look boxes into Battlefront II.

To be a contrarian: Are men so weak that the mere presence of a woman in a video game causes such a miserable display of injury and outrage?

Let's replace men with women! YES! Great idea.

Let's make the Queen of England really the King of England! NO! You misogynistic pigdog!

Women were part of the great wars. But, the way some people approach it seems forced. That's the issue. It's taking the settings and putting them at 180% and making it overly obvious that things are different and not realistic. Not that BF is really realistic anymore... But, it's just the trying to appease a certain audience. The same thing happens when bands sell out. It's the over doing of things and trying too hard to please part of the audience.

Some things happen naturally and are organic. It's just the way it is. Other things are forced and you can really tell. It's the main focus, it's shoehorned in, it's just not natural. That's the problem.

There were women in WW2. But, there weren't "LOOK! WOMEN IN WW2!!!! WE HAVE WOMEN! LOOK!!!!" there. Big difference.

While i understand your point, Battlefield presents itself as a game set in reality, whereas doom is set in a fictional world. Personally I don't really care but I can easily see people who like game accuracy to be annoyed by the clear rewriting of history.

In what reality can you leap out of a jet, snipe someone out of another jet, and then land in their cockpit and recover?

Because I'm pretty sure this hasn't happened ever in the history of mankind's warfare.

In what reality can you leap out of a jet, snipe someone out of another jet, and then land in their cockpit and recover?

Because I'm pretty sure this hasn't happened ever in the history of mankind's warfare.

Hitler was a black woman named Felisha. Jets are now flying carpets.

Makes the jets and physics a little trivial and just affects game play.

I really don't care one way or the other. Just don't make the Roman army a group of transgender liberals that are attacking the patriarchy (obviously an over the top, highly exaggerated example).

playing as those female soldiers in their historically correct context will be loved by all
there is no simple misogynistic sentiment among some gamers against playing as a female soldier, to rally against

but having these same soldiers in whatever front line combat does not. DICE has done this the wrong way. Don't just shove inclusiveness and diversity into scenarios that breaks whatever inkling of immersion left.

Of course its about making money, as they're legally obligated to do for their shareholders. But the internet outrage bandwagon that's now masturbating violently to the latest contrived controversy only have themselves to blame. I say contrived because it's almost as if the manboob brigade on reddit is entirely too predictable, and EA knowing that a woman on a boxcover or in a trailer would instantly trigger them, seems to be playing into BFV's marketing and awareness efforts far better than any conventional advertising ever could.

Either they were going to release another AAA MP shooter - which people expect to be supported at least two years with new maps and modes - and it would cost $110-120 for the base game (the bitching would never end), or as they've done in the past charge for optional DLC's and map packs (or $50 Premium) and deal with people bitching about "fragmentation" of the playerbase). Or the final option, monetization through customization, which seems to be the least offensive and best working scheme for other AAA games engaged in the practice.

Let's face it, if the monetary reward for the developer's work were left up to the average, fickle gamer ("make the game free, the add-on maps and modes free, free skins, free customizations, free mods, free servers, support it for 20 years, work for free too, I'm bored) then these companies would be bankrupt.

you forgot that these big companies had been stuffing their payroll with these SJW types due to board-directed need for inclusiveness and diversity. We are just seeing their neediness and racial & gender politics bleed through in games now. ( among the first instances that i remember was in ME:A. )

you forgot that these big companies had been stuffing their payroll with these SJW types due to board-directed need for inclusiveness and diversity. We are just seeing their neediness and racial & gender politics bleed through in games now. ( among the first instances that i remember was in ME:A. )
Well DICE Stockholm isn't Bioware, and these design/strategic decisions get made at the highest exec levels anyway with revenues first and foremost, not partisan politics.

This is about raising the profit ceiling for the game, not caving to some mythical minority of bloggers that were calling EA games or even Battlefield a boys club (they weren't).

Last edited:
The only positive thing I an think about the female characters is the potential for custom skin packs.

playing as those female soldiers in their historically correct context will be loved by all
there is no simple misogynistic sentiment among some gamers against playing as a female soldier, to rally against

Give me a story line of a Soviet female sniper on the eastern front and I'll play it.

On a somewhat unrelated note. I think it'd be neat to play as the germans on the eastern front at Stalingrad (and include the graphical hardships) and be one of the last to be evacuated before the Soviets over powered them.

Give me a story line of a Soviet female sniper on the eastern front and I'll play it.

On a somewhat unrelated note. I think it'd be neat to play as the germans on the eastern front at Stalingrad (and include the graphical hardships) and be one of the last to be evacuated before the Soviets over powered them.

ARMA already has some good mods for this.

although there was a woman called the limping lady recruited by the soe, I have my doubts a person with one arm would be able to use a submachine gun effectively.

I forgot to say she named her wooden leg 'cuthbert' :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back