DICE Apologizes to Battlefield V Players for Dumbing Down the Game

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In an attempt to make Battlefield V easier for newbies, DICE had altered the game’s Time to Kill (TTK) mechanic (a value that determines how long it takes to kill an enemy) by lowering the damage for most weapons, which effectively made players harder to kill. This didn’t go well with fans, who accused the studio of not communicating with core players and turning everyone into a bullet sponge. DICE has apologized and is making up for it with new playlists that utilize old TTK values.

The intent came from us observing that new players are having a very hard time with the game compared to our core players, and we wanted to see if we could improve this over the holidays so more players can have a great time. As many of our veteran players know, Battlefield games constantly evolve and change over time in our collaboration with the community. Battlefield V is no exception. We heard your feedback that many of you prefer the old TTK values…

I guess they did this when the two main guys responsible for this portion of the game were on vacation, they didn't seem too happy in their tweets coming back.

The issue with players dying too quick is from TTD. When a player receives all of the packets for damage at the same time, they die instantly. This makes it seem like they never took damage. That's a core netcode issue. If people remember BF3 where you'd die around corners, it's somewhat related.

With the Internet's hardest men demanding the brown, the gay and the vaginal be censored from video games you'd better fall in line with the new paradigm. If you don't the might of the keyboard warriors will crush you with tweets and memes!

Or maybe this whole games as a service thing, multiple launch dates, multiple "special" editions thing, and then charging up to $120 for a game that ends up having a metric fuck tonne of "content" STILL hidden behind even further paywalls isn't sustainable.

TTK wasn't an issue, TTD probably not as it should be and it's probably down to netcode / server synchronization / ping compensation. Sure you sometimes end up dying very quickly almost instantly but it was never down to TTK, TTK needs to be tweaked from player that is shooting point of view only. TTD needs to be tweaked from "recieving end" point of view only and Dice somehow managed to mix those things up as how to fix it.

At least they acknowledged this bad call quickly as the TTK changes only made the gameplay worse and not better for newcomers or veterans.

The issue is heavily reminding me of broken ping compensation code that makes the player die too quickly on the recieving end, especially in games like the latest Unreal Tournament this became apparent as it didn't have it in the past.

Last edited:
"were sorry we didn't tell you, but we ain't gonna fix it"

SJW crap aside, this game is proving to be a disappointment for me in campaign mode. Glad I did not pay full price for it. The graphics are not what I expected and the mechanics are rough.

Never liked "realistic" games with instant death mechanics such as BF, for it promotes camping. Having to stop in order to actually hit anything is an even bigger issue. I can not do it to this day. I always move and as a result hit nothing.

With the Internet's hardest men demanding the brown, the gay and the vaginal be censored from video games you'd better fall in line with the new paradigm. If you don't the might of the keyboard warriors will crush you with tweets and memes!

Or maybe this whole games as a service thing, multiple launch dates, multiple "special" editions thing, and then charging up to $120 for a game that ends up having a metric fuck tonne of "content" STILL hidden behind even further paywalls isn't sustainable.

How can I "Like" both parts of this, but separately?

No, no it didn't.

And is by far, the least of my issues with this game. If I understood my grandparents correctly, overwhelmingly most soldiers did not have automatic weapons, and even fewer respawned. But here we are, bitching about tits in a trenchcoat or if the African conscripts really had as much impact as they did.

Someone online was railing against the Norwegian partisan campaign calling it revisionist. That was odd for me, as I actually descend DIRECTLY from women who were Norwegian resistance fighters.

Half the game complains its too easy, the other that its too hard. I have a feeling this is a Loose Loose situation for them

Half the game complains its too easy, the other that its too hard. I have a feeling this is a Loose Loose situation for them

Some game designers would indicate that indicates the balance was correct, rather than a call for action. :)

Battlefield series never had such a high TTK. I simply don't understand how this would specifically changed to appease to new players while dismissing core players. If anything they retracted from having the game feel like a CoD on large maps. Players who enjoyed such a high TTK played hardcore which was on option and not default when it came to BF series.

They were right to change the values, its just that the people who are already their customers got butt hurt. It was changed because as a new player you login and die instantly as a general rule, not fun.

Easy solution to appease both parties. Add Hardcore

Private servers and all would be good. What part of "we want to play the game the way WE want" is DICE not understanding? Want the official EA servers to be bullitspongy arcade COD crap for people who don't like to die fast? Fine by me.. let me rent a server and leave me and those who log on to my server alone.

Private servers and all would be good. What part of "we want to play the game the way WE want" is DICE not understanding? Want the official EA servers to be bullitspongy arcade COD crap for people who don't like to die fast? Fine by me.. let me rent a server and leave me and those who log on to my server alone.
CoD has nearly never been spongy. Its an arcadre shooter. The way they adjusted BF ATM feels like every other battlefield ive played. In all honesty, its far better than what it was before. I felt like i was playing on a large arcade shooter with no oppertunity to react if hit from the side or back. It was a literal pray and spray.

And is by far, the least of my issues with this game. If I understood my grandparents correctly, overwhelmingly most soldiers did not have automatic weapons, and even fewer respawned. But here we are, bitching about tits in a trenchcoat or if the African conscripts really had as much impact as they did.

Someone online was railing against the Norwegian partisan campaign calling it revisionist. That was odd for me, as I actually descend DIRECTLY from women who were Norwegian resistance fighters.
I call them video game historians.

When you make a mission that is clearly based off of real events but change the people involved, then yes that is historical revisionism. Long term, that kind of thing becomes accepted wisdom and considered to be what really happened. Until some "video game historians" come along and make a video, web page, tweet, book, pamphlet about what really happened in Norway. Maybe the woke dudes at Dice should've talked to you about your direct female Norwegian resistance fighters experiences instead of rewriting a mission and taking out the Norwegian and British commando men who actually did stop the heavy water from being taken back to Germany.

Aww, sales are down.....

giphy.gif

Apologies aside , seriously its getting ridiculous i have to shoot way too many bullets to kill enemies its unplayable except at close range with smg

When you make a mission that is clearly based off of real events but change the people involved, then yes that is historical revisionism. Long term, that kind of thing becomes accepted wisdom and considered to be what really happened. Until some "video game historians" come along and make a video, web page, tweet, book, pamphlet about what really happened in Norway. Maybe the woke dudes at Dice should've talked to you about your direct female Norwegian resistance fighters experiences instead of rewriting a mission and taking out the Norwegian and British commando men who actually did stop the heavy water from being taken back to Germany.

Point taken. The individual I was speaking with was asserting that female partisans didn't exist, and wasn't actually discussing the specifics of that mission itself. No single British commando did all that either though, right?

I have not played in a few days. I assume that is when the recent update came out. If true and they don't revert it I am done with the game. Conquest/vehicles are garbage so the only mode to play is Domination/TDM. With a lower damage output, especially with the limited ammo, the game will be dull as hell.

This is a disaster. Two different TTK values in one game, what the heck?

They need to stick to one. If new players need some help why doesn't DICE make a test range that doesn't suck.

I've played every BF, and enjoyed them all, including Hardline which, while not "battlefield" in tthe strictest sense was a super fun FPS with lots of movement and speed, the vehicles weren't damage sponges and it was WAY better than BF1. TTK is not the issue with BFV, TTD certainly is, along with a bunch of other quality of life issues. That said every FPS i've played in the last 7-8yrs has had TTD issues, some are less then others but it's there in ALL of them, there's always going to be a huge problem with that, especially with client side hit registration. It still pisses me off, but I've come to accept it.

The TTK was the best part of the game, it instantly felt right imo.

This is what Hardcore did for previous games, and at least in BF4, it was variably adjustable for custom servers.

The problem with that is the launch TTK really isn't "hardcore." Some guns still require quite a lot of hits to down a target. In some cases you can get a headshot and still not down a target.

I had expected that they would have a hardcore mode with a faster TTK than current, not do the opposite.

Back