Diaspora: Free Battlestar Galactica mod for Freespace 2

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
I did a search on "diaspora" and didn't see anything. This frakking shocked and horrified me because it's an awesome game which is FREE to download and play, it's a standalone mod in the Freespace Source Code Project, so you don't need to own Freespace 2 to play it. You get to pilot the MkVII Viper in a story that parallels the modern Galactica series at the time of the Cylons returning.

My personal extremely short review:
Very entertaining. Far too short (apparently they are planning episodic releases, though given how long this has been in the works I don't know how that will work out). Tutorial is long and complicated given you won't use most of it in the actual campaign (which may change if they ever get around to releasing more episodes). Graphics look good, not mind blowing, but it looks good enough and is immersive. Soundtrack is awesome, they really captured the feel of Galactica. Voice acting was good. Menu system is a bit cumbersome and overall the UI is a bit clunky. The standard controls suck, I haven't tried tweaking them yet though. Story is good, as I said, it occurs at the time of the initial Cylon attack and it kept me interested. It is very unforgiving, although the game is short, several of the missions took me a few tries to finish because if you don't keep on your toes you can get demolished pretty easy by accidentally flying into friendly fire, letting a Raider get too close or just blowing yourself up with your own missiles.

Overall I'm mighty impressed with the polish and quality for a free game with the graphics, voice acting, sound and overall feel of the game, some professional studios should take hints from the developers of Diaspora.

If you are a fan of either Galactica and/or space combat games, you need to check this frakking game out or else you're just full of feldercarb.

Their website seems to be down at the moment, but I'll post the link to their forum where you should be able to download it when it comes back up...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0

Links to some reviews and such....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR6sTMKGGkA
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/25/diaspora-shattered-armistice-review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrNn4JYo9uA

Here's some images I personally took while playing through, I have the settings maxed but no AA (running a cheapo video card) but haven't played around with all the options and also there may be a bit of compression because the original files were too big to upload.
fs2opendiasporar1201303.jpg

It's free and it's short, so if you haven't played it, frakking play it already!

Last edited:
Damn talk about stretching a game engine.

Looks pretty sweet may, need to check this out.

Actually looks pretty good considering the engine it's running on.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Maybe my OP was trying to sell it too hard, but IMO for a free standalone mod (you don't need to own Freespace 2 to play it), it's pretty damned good. They really captured the feel of BSG. I happily would have paid a few bucks for it and if they get picked up by a publisher and make a whole game out of it I'd happily pay $50 for a full game.

I have no idea when their site/forum will be back up, I'm sure you can find download links elsewhere, just a googling came up with a few...
https://www.google.com/search?q=dia...598,d.dmg&fp=f3dc69f7d9ccd3b5&biw=981&bih=921

Not to hijack the thread, but the amount of love put into the Freespace engine by the community is amazing. I mean, it's still one of the better looking space shooters around (for obvious reasons).

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83896.0

I'm surprised you critiqued the controls. Did they muck with them a lot in the BSG mod? Because I always thought the default FS/2 controls were fantastic.

I remember seeing a teaser video for this a long time ago but I had otherwise forgotten about it. Downloading now. Thanks for the heads up.

Not to hijack the thread, but the amount of love put into the Freespace engine by the community is amazing. I mean, it's still one of the better looking space shooters around (for obvious reasons).

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83896.0
Yes, the community support has been amazing. I admittedly was drawn to this particular mod because of BSG (I was looking specifically to see if anyone had made a BSG game/mod and happened across Diaspora), but when I have some time I'd like to try out some of the other community mods for FS2.
I'm surprised you critiqued the controls. Did they muck with them a lot in the BSG mod? Because I always thought the default FS/2 controls were fantastic.
I will admit I don't have a lot of experience with space combat games and only got in to them recently so maybe I'm not qualified to critique them :D I don't think it's anything a simple remapping won't fix. The controls just seemed a bit overly complicated to me and spread too far across the keyboard. I found myself having to get away from the WASD keys too often to do simple things during combat which is what I expect with a flight sim, but seemed kind of unnecessary and unintuitive here. The tutorial tries to shove in to your brain a bunch of different ways of controlling the fighter, key combinations to do this and that, but when the actual campaign started I had forgotten almost all of them and didn't actually need them, while a few that I did need seemed inconveniently placed away from WASD/mouse buttons or at odds with what I'm used to for typical FPS games.

But it's a minor complaint, overall I didn't feel it got in the way of enjoying the game, it just felt a bit awkward to me at times.

Why is there no one playing multiplayer?! Amazing game.

Why is there no one playing multiplayer?! Amazing game.

Unfortunately I think it just comes down to lack of advertising. I didn't even know about the game until I went out of my way to look for BSG games, and even then it certainly wasn't the first thing I happened upon.

You can make an awesome game but if no one ever knows about it, no one will play it. I'm sure if Steam didn't highlight many indie games by putting them on the front page from time to time, there'd be bugger all chance of any indie game actually getting out to a wide audience.

Oh it is definitely the advertisement. It is not easy finding the download and updates for this mod unless you know what your doing or have been a hardcore fan.

I am going to try to push for my SC group to train on Diaspora to prepare for launch :cool:

Um. Good game but how do you slow the enemies in the training exercise down? So damn fast I can't hit them. Excellent mod though.

You don't? Lol. Your name implies that you should be a pro! Maybe a non-combat-spaceman :p

In all seriousness, I'm glad you like it. Good to see others downloading it!

Oh and Tudz, do you still play often? I would be interested in getting some MP going on.

Must be tired or missing something. Probably both. I probably need a joystick too. Damn fast ships though. Quickest I have ever seen.

Oh and Tudz, do you still play often? I would be interested in getting some MP going on.

I haven't touched MP. When I first played the game I looked and there was no one playing, so kinda just gave up on that, but I have been playing through the SP again today.

If you're interested in getting a MP group together, I'd be down for that :)

Space, they are pretty fast. Just takes some getting used to!

I would definitely be down for some MP action, Tudz. I plan on playing this game until the release of Star Citizen. Flight mechanics seem to be heading in a similar direction as Freespace (et al).

Cool, I'm not exactly sure what MP entails at this point, seems it's still in beta. If you find more people and/or figure out how to get it working, let me know and we can sort it out.

I'm pretty new to space sims, so I'll probably get swatted out of the sky, but I'll give it a go anyway :D

I missed out on bsg until recently. I just started season four and I love the show. I was really bummed when I couldn't get the bsg homeworld2 working
I'll give this try

looks like its going to take some trial and error. cant get a HUD

Shift + O doesn't bring it up? You already checked key bindings?

Well, it works! I just need someone to test it with...hint hint. There are 3 (ish) modes available.

Dogfight
Team vs Team
Co-op (still researching)

Do you happen to have steam? I could add ya on there so we can find each other.

Additional info for updated launcher and MP sign up:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67950.0

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81854.0

Cool, I've sent you a PM with my steam name. It'd be great to get team vs team happening, I find 1v1 dogfights get boring after a while :) Co-op could be interesting if anyone has designed some decent co-op missions.

Back