Dial-up Sound Slowed Down 700%

This is cool! I want the first part of it as a startup sound on a console or when my VOIP phone at home rings.

Slowed down 700%? Wouldn't slowing something down by 100% completely stop it, let alone 700%?

Slowed down 700%? Wouldn't slowing something down by 100% completely stop it, let alone 700%?

No. Sometimes that takes 10 seconds to complete is 1000% times slower than something that takes 1 second to complete. If you're playing audio at 1/7th it's original rate, it's 700% slower than it was originally.

You want scary, how about one of those giant ear bleeding dot matrix printers?

That's cool. Already recorded it and using parts of it for my windows 7 Boot sounds. :D

No. Sometimes that takes 10 seconds to complete is 1000% times slower than something that takes 1 second to complete. If you're playing audio at 1/7th it's original rate, it's 700% slower than it was originally.

No, if I remove 100% of sometihng, I have nothing left, if I remove 700%, I violate the laws of physics. Someting running @ 1/7th's its original rate would be running 85.7% slower.

This is why people fail simple thihngs like if I remove 50% of something then add 50% back...I don't have the original.

These videos have an amazing habit of not explaining it right. it's 700% of the length, not 700% slowed down.

People don't get the difference, and is why you hit the nail on the head.

I'm feeling nostalgic.

no really, i can see this sound being incorporated in the next horror film.

No, if I remove 100% of sometihng, I have nothing left, if I remove 700%, I violate the laws of physics. Someting running @ 1/7th's its original rate would be running 85.7% slower.

This is why people fail simple thihngs like if I remove 50% of something then add 50% back...I don't have the original.

You can have negative percentages when referring to things that are not physically tangible such as time or money.

You could put this sound at like 350% and put it as the background in a electronic soundtrack. Haha. Pretty cool though.

Damn. Pretty amazing how that is perfect for a scary sound track. Reminds me of Fallout actually

OH god, I can see the movie now...it starts out in the year 2020 (or whatever)
The last known user of dial up died. But no one knows why.
But then suddenly something goes wrong, Dial Up has come alive, and wants broadband to feel it's terror. And scare the living shit out of the users.

It's original sound has been altered, longer, and more terrifying. The sound alone can kill you. Or scare you half to death. Broadband has been taken by the sound of the Death Dial Up.

Bah fuck it...cheesy as hell but hey...I am sure it could make something of a B movie horror film :p

Otherwise, pretty nifty!

Agreed the dial-up sound is scary at any playback speed. I remember Napstering it up on a 48.8 connection in high school.

Agreed the dial-up sound is scary at any playback speed. I remember Napstering it up on a 48.8 connection in high school.
x2 :p

or worse when the 56k dial pool was full and you connected at 28.8k or worse one of the broken modems at 14.4k...

OH god, I can see the movie now...it starts out in the year 2020 (or whatever)
The last known user of dial up died. But no one knows why.
But then suddenly something goes wrong, Dial Up has come alive, and wants broadband to feel it's terror. And scare the living shit out of the users.

It's original sound has been altered, longer, and more terrifying. The sound alone can kill you. Or scare you half to death. Broadband has been taken by the sound of the Death Dial Up.

Bah fuck it...cheesy as hell but hey...I am sure it could make something of a B movie horror film :p

Otherwise, pretty nifty!

Sort of like how V'ger came back to haunt us in the future?

Wow, so by listening to this, I just spent 7x longer to negotiate a dialup connection, and I didn't even get connected in the end!!

Haha, not sure! Had to look it up, was never really much up on Star Trek...just the movies!

V'Ger was in Star Trek I: The Motion Pictures. Similar to your scenario, V'Ger was actually Voyager I which somehow became self-aware as it left the solar system into the empty void in space. V'Ger slowly came back towards Earth, destroying everything in it's path (or digitizing them, rather) trying to find it's creator.

At the end, after finding hints and clues about the massive entity, Kirk told it that humans were it's creator, and V'Ger left, satisfied with the answer.

excellent opening sound to the next big zombie film/game.

They should have put this over a scene from glee... That would have been truely terrifying. But not because of the sound, which I liked :D

You know, this reminded me of something...then I got it. Anyone here every play Tron 2.0? Reminds me of something in the background of one of the later levels.

Back