Dial-up Sound Slowed Down 700%

I don't hear anything, I only see a very slowly loading picture of what appears to be a naked woman.

I guess its a sign of being in the matrix too long.

Music from the Heart of Space.........
I'm your host Stephen Hill.

The melodic and emotion siring tones of the dial-up modem. Some have been quoted to say "it sounds like a fax machine" while some say "it reminds me of 1989" . What ever your persuasion no one can deny its sound is uniquely reminiscent of a bygone era. An era when the "internet" was fish net stockings behind a woman's skirt. And computers were something only scientist used.
On this transmission of Heart of Space we consider digital tones in an analog world in this episode entitled BAUD. :D

Actually, that sounds more like it was stolen from Pink Floyd's "Live at Pompeii" album.

The Directors Cut.

I still remember my first modem. A nice little 2400 job. I remember over the years, modem manufacturers added the 'feature' to turn off the sound of the modem as soon as possible. I also went in and turned it back on because I loved the sound so much. I was still using a modem as recently as 8 years ago. A 56K modem, but I never connected faster than 26.4. Horrible dialup around here. I tried 4 different providers, but they all use the same lines... When high speed finally came down my road, I hopped on board (I live ina very rural area. Several farms just up the road from me). I still miss the sound, but I don't miss the frustratingly slow connection speed that dropped all too often.

Pretty neat piece of sound work there, though.

I still remember my first modem. A nice little 2400 job. I remember over the years, modem manufacturers added the 'feature' to turn off the sound of the modem as soon as possible. I also went in and turned it back on because I loved the sound so much. I was still using a modem as recently as 8 years ago. A 56K modem, but I never connected faster than 26.4. Horrible dialup around here. I tried 4 different providers, but they all use the same lines... When high speed finally came down my road, I hopped on board (I live ina very rural area. Several farms just up the road from me). I still miss the sound, but I don't miss the frustratingly slow connection speed that dropped all too often.

Pretty neat piece of sound work there, though.

I grew up in a rural part of Alabama. The phone systems was beyond BAD. You had trouble connecting even at 300 baud. They still used stepper switchers which is what they used in the early 1900s. They offered "touch tone" service for more money but if you listened you could still hear the stepper working "clickclickclickclick....clickclickclick....clickclickclickclick..". One guy owned the phone company and had a monopoly. Made himself filthy rich. When he died his family inherited his money then sold the company to AT&T and they all got filthy rich.

I just love it when somebody overproduces a tone. This sound sped up sounds nothing like a dial up tone should (due to the post-processing effects and such.)

The actual speed of a dial-up tone slowed down doesn't even produce something that creepy, it just produces a bunch of scathing electronic noises.

I sped up and sped down the audio files using Audition after all...

I am surprised no one said this "In space no one can hear you scream". That's what came to mind when I heard this, very Alien(s) like don't you think?

I've got dial up noise as my ringtone, occasionally when someone asks me to look something up w/my phone I'll play it first. They always get a weird look on their face.

Uh...wow I have no idea how I landed here now...I assumed it was new. :p Oh well it was on-topic and substantive, no rules were broken. :D

You can have negative percentages when referring to things that are not physically tangible such as time or money.

except that when you talk about speed, which is what we are talking about when you you sat "slowed down"

being negative means moving backwards. the sound doesnt play backwards.

No, if I remove 100% of sometihng, I have nothing left, if I remove 700%, I violate the laws of physics. Someting running @ 1/7th's its original rate would be running 85.7% slower.

This is why people fail simple thihngs like if I remove 50% of something then add 50% back...I don't have the original.

Yeap. % != x.

This isn't diablo 2 people.

I woke a couple up in the middle of the night when I tried to dial into a BBS and made a typo in the number. I could hear them screaming at my modem doing its squeal in their ear. Good thing that was before call display.

I woke a couple up in the middle of the night when I tried to dial into a BBS and made a typo in the number. I could hear them screaming at my modem doing its squeal in their ear. Good thing that was before call display.
LOL!

Good thread necro. If there is ever another Matrix sequel, this should be the title music.

Anyone else have to check your room for monsters after listening to that? I did. Im gonna go hide under my race car bed now

I like how a month later, people still have to right the wrongs :D

But this thing does sound nice...

I've actually connected at 1200 baud with my voice before... :eek:

This works if in films and stuff they dial a number, you can play this into phones and can see which numbers they dialed.

Apparently some famous guy got in trouble because he was prank calling celebrities. Not because of the calls, but because he was dailing the numbers with an audiable tone, meaning people could get hold of the numbers! :D

Back